Help Please - Bike starts runs for 3 seconds and stops

I am hoping for some advice in diagnosing this issue. I have a 2012 ST1300 ABS with 39K Kms.
The bike was running perfectly until put away for the winter in mid December. I used fuel stabilser in the fuel tank containing Premium Gas. I tried to start the Bike again in early April. It started on the first touch of the button, ran for three or four seconds and then cut out. It wouldn't restart unless I switched the ignition off and then back on. Once again it starts immediately, runs for four seconds and dies. Any guidance or suggestions on troubleshooting this issue would be gratefully received

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You may have either some rodents that have taken up residence under the tank and have chewed some of your injector wires, or your 5 way tee going to the throttle bodies is clogged up.
Have you tested/checked your battery to make sure its at full charge?
Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key on?

OP
OP
Thank you for the ultra fast replies and suggestions.
I tried to start the bike in April the day before I went overseas and that was was when I discovered the issue. I got back yesterday and wanted to pick the brains of more knowledgeable people on here rather than start a potentially long journey of elimination.
The battery is fully charged and kept on an Optimate 4
I do hear the fuel pump when I turn it on.
I will check for rodents and rodent damage and check that the 5 way T is clear.
I will also reach out to Igofar as suggested
Once I get to the bottom of this I will post what the issue was in case it is of some help to another forum member.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You may have either some rodents that have taken up residence under the tank and have chewed some of your injector wires, or your 5 way tee going to the throttle bodies is clogged up.
Have you tested/checked your battery to make sure its at full charge?
Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key on?
Even though you have had the battery connected to a charger/maintainer, it doesn't mean your battery is at 100%.
This last week at WeSTOC, I had my battery quit on me. When I put a volt meter to it, it showed 12.4V. When I started the bike with a starter battery, it showed 14.4 V charging. Yet, the battery could not start the bike! The Neutral light would flash, then go out completely.

New battery time.

20230525_BatteryReplacement.jpg

OP
OP
Well what do you know! Although the bike starter spins well and starts the bike it appears that my battery is shot. I put a battery tester on the battery and it is in poor health and needs to be replaced.
I will replace the battery and see where I am after that. I am hoping that my ultra reliable bike will be at peace with the world again.
Once I have the new battery in I will post the result. Thanks again guys!

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
I was going to point out the battery connection is the most important part. If your battery is shot the bike will shut down to save the alternator.

OP
OP
Thank you Aniwack for the explanation as to why the bike is shutting down because of a bad battery.
It makes sense and gives me a lot of hope that I will be out riding again in the next couple of days.

OP
OP
Well, I got the new battery charged it up and installed it today. The battery and connections are double checked and good.
I still have the same issue. I will remove the tank now and see if I have any rodent damage! I will keep you all updated.

OP
OP
Well I promised that I would update my progress with this issue. It has no happy ending so far. I decided that getting to the bottom of this was beyond my competence level and that I needed a Honda dignostic system to help me.
I took the bike to the dealer and it threw up a fuel injector code. A rodent had chewed through the wiring harness and unfortunately it could not be repaired. The fuel injector wiring harness sub assembly was on back order but it arrived in and was fitted today. Same problem!!!
The dealer has been in conversation with Hondas technical department and so far they have concurred with the dealers diagnostic methodology and the next step is to replace the ECM as they all suspect that it was shorted when I switched the ignition on. I have been told that there is no way of testing the ECM and that the only way forward is to replace the ECM and if that doesn't work or it was not the issue then I am stuck with the new ECM as it is non-returnable. This part alone is $1,300 and the kicker is that it is on back order until mid-September.
If the ECM works then this has been an expensive repair, if it doesn't then I am at a loss (as is the dealer and Honda) on what to try next.
Any views, thoughts will be welcomed. Steps have also been taken to ensure that any wayward mice will not enter my garage again.

OP
OP
Final update (I hope). The dealer phoned today to say that Honda shipped the ECM earlier than expected. It has now been fitted and the dealership is reporting that the bike is running perfectly again. Apart from a large repair bill I am pleased to say that this saga has had a happy ending.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments. It was much appreciated.

Top Bottom