Help! Pre-Load adjuster; stripped screw head.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement screw that holds the adjustment knob onto the master cylinder?
I've been having the same issues as many of you have mentioned, (low resistance, riding low), while attempting to remove the knob to check/add oil the head of the screw disintegrated before I could get it to break loose.
All the websites that sell parts show you have to replace the entire shock.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Post something on the Wanted board or find someone who's parting out a wreck. I'm sure someone somewhere has a dead shock in a drawer.

--Mark

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Thats probably because you used a standard phillips screw driver and not a JIS Japanese one. Look it up on line.
There are a couple real easy fixes. go online to Ronayers.com or Clawson Motorsports.com and look at the microfish and simply order the screw.
Or go down to the hardware store and pick up a metric allen head and washer. (looks better anyway).
When you do get the screw off (small ignition plyers-chanel lock type) can grab the head and remove it with ease, wrap a shop rag around the body behind the knob. There is a small bb that sits on a detent spring. You don't want these falling or flying off on you. (trust me on this)
If you haven't topped of the fluid yet. push the unit through the bike to the right side, and hold it by the flats with a cresent wrench. keep it higher than the shock so no oil from the line leaks out. I use hydralic oil.
Hope this helps, good luck.
Igofar

OP
OP
skellygm
Bike
2006 ST1300
Igofar-Thanks for the advice.
I've tried finding it on microfiche. I usually use www.hdlparts.com but I also tried the two you mentioned above. They also are only showing the entire shock unit and mounting bolts, not parts for the pre-load adjuster, if I'm missing something please let me know.
I didn't know there was a difference in screwdrivers, I'll look into getting some. Hopefully I can get the driver heads to go into my ratcheting handle. I'll take your advice and get an allen head and washer after I get the other out and check the size. If that doesn't work I'll take the advice of Blrfl and beg for one on the Wanted boards.
Thanks for the advice on the positioning of the adjuster for when I do get to the oil.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
If it's not on the fiche as a separate part, it's not available individually, and there are no secret sources. Honda probably OEMs the entire thing as a single part.

--Mark

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
My parts book does not show any individual parts to the rear CUSHION assembly. It should be replaceable with a metric screw of the same size. Take the old one to a hardware store and they should be able to help you out.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
*** Error *** The screws by the mirrors have a shoulder on them. I just discovered the screw I used was not the same as the ones located by the mirrors. Sorry for the wrong info. I would still take it to the hardware store and purchase a metric button head allen. I believe they are 6mm.
Sorry for any confusion.

I looked in my HONDA service manual to see if they mention a size for you, but to no avail.
I do know that the two screws with trapped washers that hold upper side cowling on (just below each mirror assembly) are the same size and length.
I know, I've used them on another members bike doing the same repair. The micro }<))))> does show that part number if you want to try that.
Thats the best I can do tonight. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.
Igofar

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I didn't know there was a difference in screwdrivers, I'll look into getting some. Hopefully I can get the driver heads to go into my ratcheting handle.
I got a set of four JIS bits from RJR (http://www.rjrcooltools.com/vessel.cfm) for $10. The #00 is too small for anything on the bike, but works well for fixing eyeglasses. They also have conventional JIS screwdrivers.

Top Bottom