Help! Valve adjustment questions

I have an '07 1300 and I would like some feedback on getting the valves adjusted. One is cost. Dealer wants $250 to see if they need adjusting and then $280 for the right side and $330 for the left side, plus shim costs if they do. I am in OC CA, does anyone know of mechanic in OC, San Diego or S. LA counties that works on STs regularly and can do this work for less than an arm and a leg?
Secondly, my bike sounds and runs great so how important is getting this service. I haven't seen any comments on valve issues and I am wondering if it is more of a revenue generator than a MUST service. I communte daily and get as much long haul riding in as I can. Bike has 45K on it.

FJA314

"Penguinisto"
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I have an '06 reaching that same point in the maintenance schedule...... Following this thread with interest!

Bike
2006 ST1300
At 49k all my exhaust valves were at the tight limit, except one, which was .001" out of spec. You are at the mileage where I can safely say they SHOULD be checked.

The costs seem high, and odd- the left side is MUCH easier to adjust than the right. Look on here for a tech event in your area, and if you can't find one, I'm sure there will be members near you who would be willing to help you and show you the ropes.

RCS

I have an '07 1300 and I would like some feedback on getting the valves adjusted. One is cost. Dealer wants $250 to see if they need adjusting and then $280 for the right side and $330 for the left side, plus shim costs if they do. I am in OC CA, does anyone know of mechanic in OC, San Diego or S. LA counties that works on STs regularly and can do this work for less than an arm and a leg?
Secondly, my bike sounds and runs great so how important is getting this service. I haven't seen any comments on valve issues and I am wondering if it is more of a revenue generator than a MUST service. I communte daily and get as much long haul riding in as I can. Bike has 45K on it.
The job does take a good bit of time. For me it takes 5 hours to do the valve check from beginning to end and add 2 hours if I have to change shims on both sides. So that is 7 hours. It does take some additional time to change shims on the right side than the left. That is because the airbox has to come off.

There is a video on the process on this site, I believe in the articles section, for both the valve check and shim change.

OP
OP
Thanks for the reply. I may have gotten the costs for left and right bassackward.

OP
OP
Bob,
Thanks, could you also give me you thoughts on how mechanically skilled I need to be to do this successfully myself. I am a weekend handyman but have zero experience working on a 1300.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Get a shop manual, take your time, and organize all the stuff you're taking off. If you have a place to work where you can leave the job and return to it, it's a lot easier. I'm not particularly skilled mechanically, but I did mine on my own. I'd been to a tech event and checked clearances previously, but had never seen the actual adjustments done. A lot of the time involved is spent removing tupperware, and the airbox if you need to do the right bank. Be sure to fully back off the cam chain tension, and the cams will come out (and go back in) easily. There are witness marks to line them up for re-installation; it's hard to get it wrong. The engine timing marks (used to position the cams for clearance checks and removal/replacement) are visible through a port in the front of the engine. A mirror on a stalk and a good light will help to see when things are lined up. I had to do the right bank, which requires removal of the air box. I found it easier to remove the tank than to work under it as shown in some of the videos. Unbolt and remove the seat mount and it's easier to get the tank off. If you're hesitant to try it on your own, there ought to be someone nearby who's been through it. By the way: I'd suggest setting the clearances towards the loose end of the stated limits, as they tend to tighten up over time (due to the valve seats wearing, I guess.) This will give you the greatest time between adjustments.

RCS

Bob,
Thanks, could you also give me you thoughts on how mechanically skilled I need to be to do this successfully myself. I am a weekend handyman but have zero experience working on a 1300.
I suggest you do what I did - as I'm not a professional mechanic either. Attend a Tech STOC event where someone else is doing a valve check and shim change. Assist, watch, and learn. It is assisting in the process that really brings the learning home. Then, with a shop manual you can do it by yourself. Keep in mind that it is a process and all it takes is patience, time, a few special tools, and a loaner shim kit - so you can replace the shims while the valve covers are off, if needed.

I believe a list and picture of the tools needed is also in the articles section.

My ST1300 has had 2 valve checks so far. One shim was changed on the first check and two shims were changed on the second check. In my case, it is the exhaust shims that needed changing as the tolerances tightened up.

I highly recommend that you do a valve check at a minimum - whether you do it yourself or have the shop perform the check. If the shop does it request that they provide you with the valve clearance measurements for your records.

Top Bottom