Help with OEM part numbers for caliber rebuilds needed

Can someone help me figure out what Honda part numbers and quantities are needed to rebuild both front and rear calipers on my 96 ST1100a?

I purchase all my OEM parts from Ron Ayers, but in looking at the microfiche I'm not sure which piston seal kits are needed for the front. Rear looks self explanatory.

http://www.ronayers.com/FR-BRAKE-CALIPER-ST1100A-96-98-C198456.aspx

http://www.ronayers.com/REAR-BRAKE-CALIPER-ST1100A-96-98-C198485.aspx

Also, what about any rubber boots for pins, what is needed there for a complete rebuild?

Thanks!

-mtnpat

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Can someone help me figure out what Honda part numbers and quantities are needed to rebuild both front and rear calipers on my 96 ST1100a?

I purchase all my OEM parts from Ron Ayers, but in looking at the microfiche I'm not sure which piston seal kits are needed for the front. Rear looks self explanatory.

http://www.ronayers.com/FR-BRAKE-CALIPER-ST1100A-96-98-C198456.aspx

http://www.ronayers.com/REAR-BRAKE-CALIPER-ST1100A-96-98-C198485.aspx

Also, what about any rubber boots for pins, what is needed there for a complete rebuild?

Thanks!

-mtnpat
I don't have an ABS model, so take my advice with a grain of salt. What it looks like on the fiche is there are two different sizes of pistons that were used, so you may have to remove the old ones and measure them first. The way I interpret the fiche is you either have the set with no parenthesis, or the set with parenthesis. If your pistons measure out to the ones in parenthesis (see dimensions in price chart below figure) match the piston numbers in parenthesis with the seal numbers in parenthesis. Not 100% sure that's the correct answer, but that's the way I'd interpret the info in the picture.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
he doesn't need help finding the right fiche for his year and model, he's done that ('96 ST1100A) He needs help interpreting the information that is contained on the fiche. there are two part numbers for each of the 3 seals, one has parenthesis around the reference number like (15) and the other doesn't, same for the pistons. When you look at the part descriptions below the illustration the piston with the parenthesis around its reference number is a different diameter than the one without the parenthesis. I'm guessing this means you could have either/or size in your bike so you have to measure it first, but I don't know why they would have different size pistons for the same model year in the first place, so I wonder if that interpretation is not correct anyway.

OP
OP
Yes it is an ABS model. OK, it makes sense now, I will measure the pistons.

Thanks everyone!

-mtnpat

OP
OP
Thanks a lot for the second set of eyes. I've got that book and it is very helpful (better than some other service manuals I have, but hey, it's a Honda thing).

Yup, linked brakes too, anti dive, the works.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I don't recall the particulars but, yes, two of the three are the same size, the third is different. Don't recall which is which but the fische tells ya how many of each you need if ya look at it closely. In all cases on the ABS II, some of the pistons are operated by the front brake and some by the rear. I figured it all out when I first got my '01 ABS II lipSTick but that was 3 1/2 years ago. And I'm old. :D

I ordered all those o-rings then anticipating a rebuild. That was nearly 150,000 miles ago and haven't used'em yet. Probably should when I replace the current pads next week or so.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I don't recall the particulars but, yes, two of the three are the same size, the third is different. Don't recall which is which but the fische tells ya how many of each you need if ya look at it closely. In all cases on the ABS II, some of the pistons are operated by the front brake and some by the rear. I figured it all out when I first got my '01 ABS II lipSTick but that was 3 1/2 years ago. And I'm old. :D

I ordered all those o-rings then anticipating a rebuild. That was nearly 150,000 miles ago and haven't used'em yet. Probably should when I replace the current pads next week or so.
Apparently in '96 they had a mid-year changeover, so there's two possible configurations available for that model year. That's the source of the confusion, you don't know which set you have until you measure them. For all the other years there's nothing to it, there's only one set of part numbers, so no confusion.

Edit: looking at a few more model years on the fiche it appears this multi piston set issue is common to the '96-98 model years, there's one fiche for all 3 years. Apparently they changed the caliper design sometime during that era, so you need to know which version you have by measuring the pistons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OK, popped out the pistons and measured each. Between the two front calipers there are five different sizes:

27x35
22x27
25x35 (2 each)
25x27
22x35

Five different pistons, but only three different bore sizes (22,25,27).

Using the front caliper fiche and the reference numbers shown for pistons and seals thing weren't really making sense and lining up. I was able to look at the rear caliper fiche which uses two of the three bore sizes and determine what the part number for the seals for those two sizes were, process of elimination led me to the third size. As follows:

06451-GE2-405 = 25mm
06451-MZ2-405 = 22mm
06451-MA3-405 = 27mm

So I ordered up the quantities I needed of each, along with three sets of the slider boots (they are the same for all calipers). I should be good to go now.

Thanks again.

-mtnpat

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Wow, certainly wasn't aware of the confusion. Mine is an 01 so must be more consistent in the sizes.

Also, I only ordered the o-rings, not the pistons. I've never changed a caliper piston in nearly 500,000 miles among my STs.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
OK, popped out the pistons and measured each. Between the two front calipers there are five different sizes:

27x35
22x27
25x35 (2 each)
25x27
22x35

Five different pistons, but only three different bore sizes (22,25,27).

Using the front caliper fiche and the reference numbers shown for pistons and seals thing weren't really making sense and lining up. I was able to look at the rear caliper fiche which uses two of the three bore sizes and determine what the part number for the seals for those two sizes were, process of elimination led me to the third size. As follows:

06451-GE2-405 = 25mm
06451-MZ2-405 = 22mm
06451-MA3-405 = 27mm

So I ordered up the quantities I needed of each, along with three sets of the slider boots (they are the same for all calipers). I should be good to go now.

Thanks again.

-mtnpat
Ah, the parenthesis or no parenthesis means left/right caliper, I guess Honda doesn't believe in footnotes to explain their arcane notations. I've usually owned Yamahas, some of the stuff I see Honda do has me shaking my head, why would you possibly need so many different piston sizes in a brake caliper?

So the bottom line with the parenthesis is its not "either/or" its "both".

Top Bottom