Help with Sonic spring setup

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Santa brought me a pair off Sonic 1.2 springs for the ST. I read the instruction included with the springs first, then I went looking for information on here. I have found several different setup suggestions scattered across the forum. So I thought that I would get everyones suggestions here in one spot to help me and anyone else that will be doing this. A member that I contacted suggested that I call Rich at Sonic Springs and get his ideas on the set up. I may yet do this, but first I wanted to see what is working for everyone here first.

I weight 180 lbs. with Aerostich jacket on. I live in northern Indiana, so the roads are mostly straight, but I do ride hard. The bike does see trips to the Great Lakes area and the Smokies.

I know that many suggest the Gold Valve mod when changing the springs, but that isn't in the cards right now.

Thanks

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Search the Performance/Suspension forum here and you should get plenty of reading on the subject: //www.st-owners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?204-Performance-Suspension

OP
OP
mlheck

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
As I mentioned in the my initial post, I did search the forum first, but the information is scattered all over several posts. Also some of the settings that where given were waiting on measurements and test rides. I was trying to gather some up to date information in one spot.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My bad. I will PM you tonight with some thoughts.

Are you related to Frankie Heck by any chance?

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Getting the sonic's setup with the proper preload is ballpark then adjust as needed there is no formula for a perfect setup as all riders.

OP
OP
mlheck

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I am not looking for someone to give me the perfect setup. I was just trying to see what had worked for others given their weight and style of ridding. This information might help me and others start out a little closer to where we need to be.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I cut the preload spacers so that the new Sonic spring, washer stack and spacer were the same length, lying on the ground, as the OEM stack. That gives about 3/4" preload and has worked fine for me. I weigh about 225 before gear. I would recommend starting here and then adjusting to suit if necessary.

OP
OP
mlheck

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Well I took the springs out of the box to install them and noticed that they are not the same length. There is about an 1/8" difference. Do I just cut the spacer to compensate or should they be the same length?

Attachments

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I'm thinking that amount will not be noticed. And really, its all relative, you could start with the same length and need to adjust the spacers anyway. Deal with them as if they were the same and adjust if needed.

Top Bottom