Here I Go Again

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just like the Whitesnake song, Here I Go Again. I am going in for my 5th back surgery on Friday to have my L1 thru L3 discs fused. 12 years ago I had a succession of surgeries that ultimately ended up requiring that L3 thru S1 be fused. It seems as if my entire adult life has in some part revolved around my back issues and the resulting limitations. I just got back into riding again 2 years ago due to my back. Oh well. It is what it is. My doc promised me that I would be able to get back on my bike and I intend to hold him to that. I ain't dead yet and I have bucket rides I want to do before I can't!

I don't know where I'm goin'
But I sure know where I've been
Hangin' on the promises and the songs of yesterday
And I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time
Here I go again
Here I go again

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
+1 on Unc Phil’s comments, Winged_STer, here’s to a speedy recovery and a return to the saddle!

Now, Uncle Phil, I believe you’re being a bit modest. I think a review of your posts would show that you’re a bit like George Washington’s hatchet: all original. The handle has been replaced twice and the head three times…

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I hope you're back up and riding soon after the surgery. One good thing to remember is that lumbar surgeries are very common these days, so hopefully they have learned lots and now they're very successful.
I'm a "back brother" also with already having 3 surgeries in 14 years. A fusion at L5-S1 and then again at L4 about a year ago. I'm still struggling with back and sciatic nerve pain though and that really reduces my bike seat time. Waiting to try cortisone shots now, hopefully soon.
Take care

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Best of luck with this! Surgery is usually a last option when everything else has failed or, the damage noted on imaging is so severe that surgery is the only real option. Either way, we all hope you heal quickly.

OP
OP
Winged_STer

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thank you all for your kind words! :wave1:

Just passed the 6-week mark post-surgery and I am absolutely chuffed as to the results so far! This recovery has gone so much better than I anticipated, light years better than my past surgeries have been. Even though I am now completely fused from L1 - S1, I feel better now than I have in years. I'd like to give a big shout-out to everyone at the University of Florida Neurosurgery Center for their professionalism and compassion for this old man's troubles. Best yet, the doc says that I can start doing some light riding in about 6 more weeks.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Great news! Glad to hear everything went ok and you're doing great post surgery.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Today I am 181 days post surgery for the fusing of L3,L4,&L5. Screws and rods along with bone grafts. Since July 17, 2023 to today I have logged 3000 miles. I have little or no pain on a daily basis. On August 3rd I did 567 miles. That is the longest day I have had in years. I hope you continue to have a successful recover. I am ecstatic about my results. Live long and prosper.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's great news to hear. You will be riding again soon.

OP
OP
Winged_STer

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
A few weeks back I got clearance from the doc to do some light riding again. That meant that I immediately packed the bike up in the trailer and headed to the mountains of North Georgia. In retrospect, it may have been a little early. My left leg is still pretty weak and as I was unloading said motorcycle from my fancy enclosed trailer, this result ensued.

20231012_213820003_iOS.jpg

I'd like to insert a quick commercial for one of the best investments I have made to date. I purchased just before this trip a piece of kit called the MotoBikeJack. It saved my bacon on this trip.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I bought a used one awhile back, and I must admit it works: I haven't dropped a bike since I got it.
Have you tried it out yet? Just curious to know where you would attach the lifting hook on either side if it is laying on its side.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Have you tried it out yet? Just curious to know where you would attach the lifting hook on either side if it is laying on its side.
I casually looked and figured around the foot-peg area. You can make a loop with the hook, too.

There's always one of the tip-over bars if you can reach it and the cover isn't in the way.

Added: Looking at a pic, it may hook under the big plate the passenger peg is bolted to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom