Hernia

A couple of months back I made a wrong weight lifting for my age and I got an Inguinal hernia , which is going to be fixed (hopefully ) in a week.
Is there is in the group a Doctor who can tell me what I have to consider in the future while riding, and what will be the healing time before be back on the saddle.
Thanks in advance.
P.B.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Yep, what UP said. Had a hernia big enough that it took FOUR patches to cover it up. Tender for a couple weeks but now I forget that it ever happened. No issues. Just wish that I didn't wait over 6 months to get it fixed years ago......:confused::confused:

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Had that surgery done years ago. After the first couple weeks of discomfort no problems since. If I remember correctly no heavy lifting for 30 days post surgery.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
OK, I am a doctor (didn’t just stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)- I also had one repaired a few years ago via laparoscopic surgery. I was back to work in 2 days and never told I couldn’t do anything specific (well, no heavy lifting for a short while- no issues there as I’m not an exerciser except for walking the dog).

Ride on afterwards and don’t worry at all. All you’d be doing is throwing your leg over the seat- the rest is just sitting down on the bike, so that shouldn’t affect the repair at all. I’m sure your surgeon will give you specific guidelines, but don’t over think this. I’m sure you should do well if you’re already currently healthy and the surgeon feels you’re a good surgical candidate.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Just had this surgery a month ago , no problems but listen to the medical people on lifting and activities . I am so glad to get this done now ,no snowshoveling for me .

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bi-lateral inguinal repair a few years ago. No heavy lifting or putting the ST on the center stand for awhile. ST am not crazy about putting the ST up. LOL Very occasionally I can feel the patch on one side when I walk but not when I ride. The doc said to mind how you go and watch what you eat. YMMV.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Not a Dr. but an RN. +1 on what Uncle Phil and ERDOC48 said...I also had the Laparoscopic surgery with mesh...no problems...just watch weight gain...belly weight will put unneeded pressure on the mesh. Also mix in some mild abdominal exercise after you heal...stronger ab muscles can keep pressure off mesh, especially if they tell you they found a belly button hernia while they were repairing your inguinal hernia. ....my .02....best of luck!!!

OP
OP
leonides
Thanks you all , now I will go into the surgery ( Laparoscopic ) more relax. I still have a few miles to run and a long "bucket list".

Bike
2010 ST1300
One suggestion. No tip overs. And if you do, let passersby lift the bike for you.

OP
OP
leonides
Have you considered NOT having the surgery? Do you really NEED it right now? Do you lift a lot of heavy stuff daily, etc?

I ask because I have been living with my inguinal hernia for three years now. All the doctors are all gung ho to gut you like a fish because you "need" it, but again, can you "rehabilitate" the area with diet and exercise? Stop trying to lift stuff like you did when you were 29?

Look into the failure rate for the mesh implants. The REPEAT rate to "fix" a poorly done or "failed" mesh correction. All are surprising high. Plus the risk from surgery, ABDOMINAL surgery . . .

Anyhow, I usually forget I even have the hernia now, except when I tell a doctor and they say "OMG you should get that fixed ASAP!" LOL :rolleyes:

I do appreciate all the suggestions, but after the preliminary examen the conclusion was that the size of the "hole" in the fascia is about the size of a silver dollar, and my intestine is trying to "conquer new territories". It is bothering me a lot every moment , therefore, They will "patch it".

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
You will feel better......and it is a very simple surgery..!! I lived with one for over 9 months.....fix it!
T

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I knew about one for just over five years. It would poke out and I'd poke it back in. It didn't look like an inner tube poking out of a tire but it felt like it. Sometimes when I sat down it would be pinched. Or getting up out of a chair it would get pinched until I stood up. It slowly and steadily got worse over time and I got tired of pushing it back in.

When I went in for a consultation the surgeon said I had bi-laterals. Checking I could feel the second one but hadn't been aware of it until then. So I got them both repaired and have been very happy ever since.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Had it done 14 years ago, I was in at 6:30 AM, and out at 9 AM. It hurt, yes, but I was taking painkillers that did not work. When I tried ibuprofen, I was golden! I was back to heavy lifting ( Doc released me) in 1.5 weeks. I did a long ride a month after surgery, with no ill effects. I followed every recommendation, exercised lightly, walked, and had a great outcome.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
What my doctor told me (and I had a very severe hernia), is if your guts get 'out' (mine did) and you can't push them back in, it can cut the circulation to them. And before long they will die which really creates problems.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Jeff F said:
Is this surgery in/out the same day for everyone? (I see some repairs in my future).
The depends on whether you have a full service PPO or an HMO. :rofl1:
Mine was same day. In surgery in the morning out before noon IIRC. Monitored for an hour or a little more to make sure I was fully awake and then out the door. It was required that someone pick me up. They didn't think much of my asking if I could ride my bike home.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Is this surgery in/out the same day for everyone? (I see some repairs in my future).
Same day...in at noon. Back in car by 5:00.... Wife drove.... They use small incisions and inflate your belly with nitrogen so they have room to move around. Was news to me.....:eek: What nitrogen doesn't get evacuated before they stitch you up gets absorbed by your body over time. Patches go inall rolled up and then unrolled inside and then positioned in place. That's what they told me.
By the way...mine was decribed as a " double pataloon". Two tears left and right.... All fixed now.

OP
OP
leonides
OK, I am a doctor (didn’t just stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)- I also had one repaired a few years ago via laparoscopic surgery. I was back to work in 2 days and never told I couldn’t do anything specific (well, no heavy lifting for a short while- no issues there as I’m not an exerciser except for walking the dog).

Ride on afterwards and don’t worry at all. All you’d be doing is throwing your leg over the seat- the rest is just sitting down on the bike, so that shouldn’t affect the repair at all. I’m sure your surgeon will give you specific guidelines, but don’t over think this. I’m sure you should do well if you’re already currently healthy and the surgeon feels you’re a good surgical candidate.

I have it fixed yesterday, robotic laparoscopic surgery, both sides with mesh, today I fell a lot better a little swelling in the area but the little pain can be controlled with Tylenol.
Now I'll take it easy for a few days, and will see.

Top Bottom