Hey Fellas, Looking for some advice on how to proceed with my new toy...

davdmad

Metric cresant wrench needed
Bike
1991 ST1100
Guess I should say my new bike. I recently purchased a 1993 ST1100 that has been sitting for 3 years. The previous owner kept good records of the bike and was having the timing belt changes as a prevenative measure. After the timing belt was changed he drove the bike about 2 blocks from the shop before turning back around due to a noise from the engine. He described it to me as a whine. The same shop changed out the idler pullys and started to reassemble before they went out of buisness. the p.o. trailered the bike home and let is sit for about 18 months before taking it to another shop to repair a leaking fork seal and also have the carbs cleaned and timing checked. the shop cleaned the carbs and repaired the fork seal for him and apparantly told him that he had either a stuck or bent valve. again the p.o. stopped work and towed it home where is sat for another 18 months before i purchased it. I have so far got the by to run by installing a new battery and some premium gas. also added seafoam to the fuel to assist in clearing the carbs. I plan to run a compression test today and verify that there are no bent valves. I honestly believe the shop who cleaned the carbs did not properly adjust them and it is causing the running issues. any reccomendations are greatly appreciated and I will report back after i run the compression test today. thanks fellas. If anyone has the base idle jet settings or the adjustment procedures I would love to have them, just to verify shops adjustment. thanks again.

OP
OP

davdmad

Bike
1991 ST1100
well, 0 compression on 3 cylinders. 120 on fourth. i may have a problem.

OP
OP

davdmad

Bike
1991 ST1100
fun, fun, fun! anyone got a spare engine they wanna sell?

OP
OP

davdmad

Bike
1991 ST1100
s, i know i am now posting in the wrong area, but my carbs are still a concern, just not as much of one now. I dont have a service manual yet, but are these marks lined up on the wrong crank position?

OP
OP

davdmad

Bike
1991 ST1100
lol, well since nobody else has anything to say... improved my engine performance after a new set of plugs. was actually running decent till the a valve dropped in the front left cylinder. oops! still looking for an engine!:D

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Sorry to hear about the demise of the STeed. I have a couple different service manuals that I need to sell; a Clymer and a Haynes. Let me know if you are interested in either.

I posted in your other thread, but will reiterate here; the 1100 engines are mostly the same. I would suggest that you locate a 96 or newer one, with the alternator, just to get the bigger alternator.

There are a few engines on sale on ebay; biggest issue would be shipping.

OP
OP

davdmad

Bike
1991 ST1100
actually i think the previous owner updated to the new style alternator. i know that he said the rectifier was no longer needed with new new alternator. will any st1100 engine work, or is there a year range that is interchangeable?

OP
OP

davdmad

Bike
1991 ST1100
lol, should have read the other thread. thanks for the info on the engine compatibility!

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
If you already have the 40amp, then you can just get any year engine and swap. Don't worry if the replacement has a 28amp or any alt at all. If you find an engine with a 40amp, you could sell the alt and extra bits for a nice chunk of change.

Top Bottom