HF modification post??

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I must be blind...trying to find the post that goes into detail on modifying the Harbor Freight tire changer (had pics, etc.). Can someone please post the link to this thread? Thanks!

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks guys. And yes, for $30, the Mojo blocks will be going on as soon as I take possession.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Okay, I've obviously done something wrong. I assembled my HF tire changer, and when I drop either of the 'center posts' through the arm and into where the wheel would reside, it falls down far enough that sits below the upper arm (there is about a 2 inch gap between the top of the pin and the arm. That wouldn't give it much leverage at all.

Is there supposed to be something in the 'main' portion of the tire changer that the center post sits on? It falls a good 3 inches or so into the center of the hollow main post.

I did have to unscrew and remover the 'cap' that would normally go in the hub of an auto tire. Did that so the motorcycle changing arm could slip down onto the main changer.

Advice??

STOC #
Okay, I've obviously done something wrong. I assembled my HF tire changer, and when I drop either of the 'center posts' through the arm and into where the wheel would reside, it falls down far enough that sits below the upper arm (there is about a 2 inch gap between the top of the pin and the arm. That wouldn't give it much leverage at all.

Is there supposed to be something in the 'main' portion of the tire changer that the center post sits on? It falls a good 3 inches or so into the center of the hollow main post.

I did have to unscrew and remover the 'cap' that would normally go in the hub of an auto tire. Did that so the motorcycle changing arm could slip down onto the main changer.

Advice??

Clamp the center post with the knobbed set-screw in the changer's arm to keep the post from dropping. (if your HF changer is like mine)

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
That's the ticket. I was expecting the center post to rest on a 'base' someplace in the main stand. When I pulled it up a bit and tightened the top knob, it seems to be 'fixed'.

Now to find a wooden pallet to mount it on!! Mojoblocks and mojolever are under the christmas tree waiting for Christmas morning...a dabble of plasticote on the bead breaker and I should be ready to go! Bring on brother's tire for a trial run....grin.

STOC #
That's the ticket. I was expecting the center post to rest on a 'base' someplace in the main stand. When I pulled it up a bit and tightened the top knob, it seems to be 'fixed'.

Now to find a wooden pallet to mount it on!! Mojoblocks and mojolever are under the christmas tree waiting for Christmas morning...a dabble of plasticote on the bead breaker and I should be ready to go! Bring on brother's tire for a trial run....grin.
:eek:: Another fwiw from a smug old coot ;) . If you can't find a pallet, a 4 x 8 sheet of Home Depot's (or whoever) thickest plywood cut in half works nicely.

I had them cut the sheet in half, (and if you're driving a generation 2 Honda CR-V, you'll give whoever's in the parking lot quite a show as you solve the puzzle of how to load the plywood.) then I put the two halves together and carriage bolted my changer through the sheets to sandwich them together.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
:eek:: Another fwiw from a smug old coot ;) . If you can't find a pallet, a 4 x 8 sheet of Home Depot's (or whoever) thickest plywood cut in half works nicely.

I had them cut the sheet in half, (and if you're driving a generation 2 Honda CR-V, you'll give whoever's in the parking lot quite a show as you solve the puzzle of how to load the plywood.) then I put the two halves together and carriage bolted my changer through the sheets to sandwich them together.
So you actually have the tire changer bolted to TWO pieces of 4x4 plywood, right? I was waffling back and forth between going the 'pallet route', or going the plywood route, but had not considered stacking the sheets of plywood for thickness/stability.

STOC #
So you actually have the tire changer bolted to TWO pieces of 4x4 plywood, right? I was waffling back and forth between going the 'pallet route', or going the plywood route, but had not considered stacking the sheets of plywood for thickness/stability.

Right. The bolt pattern on the base of the changer is wide enough to sandwich the half-sheets tightly together. Also, I stacked the sheets 90 degrees in relation to each other, my theory being that doing so would increase the plys, for additional strength.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Is there any sense in putting a block of wood inside the hollowed-out 'U' in the feet of the changer to act as a 'spacer' between the plywood and the base? Wonder if overtightening the bolt would bend or 'mishape' the feet on the base?

I have seen one depiction where the guy put a 2x2 (or some sort of stringer) right in the base just for that purpose.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
STOC #
I sunk four expansion anchors in my garage floor and cut all-thread rod about 3" long to mount mine. Takes about five minutes to set up an take down every time I change tires.

I made a 4'x4' plywood base also. What I did was put pressure treated 2x4s (x4 side facing up/down) underneath around the perimeter. I get the garage floor wet often washing cars, bike, pressure washing floor and did not want to hurt the plywood.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I am planning to 'seal' my wood as well. Not going the concrete anchor route as it is a rented house.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
As far as the center post goes, I found a plastic plumbing fitting that would go into the lower tube, acting as a reducer to get closer to the center post diameter. As long as you're not getting abusive, you don't need that upper support arm, and you won't harm the wheel bearings.

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
It's mounted....went by a 'rock store' (place that sells outdoor ornamental rock) and noticed their rock all was shipped on very heavy pallets (wood is at least 1/2" thick). Asked what they did with their unused pallets and was told to take what I wanted. Hunted around and found one in nice shape. Only problem (for me, at least) was that it was 48"x48". Which was about 8" larger in both directions than I wanted. So brought it home, took a saw and lopped those 8" off both sides. Then fiddled a bit to decide where and how I wanted the piece of equipment arranged on the pallet (wanted the bolts to be accessible from underneath and not butted up against a stringer or obscured by a flat). Drilled holes and Voila!! Then mounted the Mojoblocks and painted some Plasti-Coat on the bead breaker. Rearranged the shop area (in my current abode, which is rented, my three bikes share a two-car garage with my car) so that the tire changer wasn't constantly in the way.

Now all I need is a bike in need of a tire change.....:D

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
I got a HF motorcycle changer for xmas. I don't have the tire changer base (on purpose) and I plan to directly mount the motorcycle changer part to my hitch on the blazer. I already have the 2" square tube welded into a 90 degree and the hole drilled for the receiver pin, I just need to weld (or otherwise attach) the motorcycle changer to the 2" square and then I'll be all set!

And I need to make the teflon tabs to hold the rims.

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I got a HF motorcycle changer for xmas. I don't have the tire changer base (on purpose) and I plan to directly mount the motorcycle changer part to my hitch on the blazer. I already have the 2" square tube welded into a 90 degree and the hole drilled for the receiver pin, I just need to weld (or otherwise attach) the motorcycle changer to the 2" square and then I'll be all set!

Sounds Smart:)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

What are you going to do for a bead breaker.. isn't that part of the HF base?

Top Bottom