Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ordered up: HJC IS-Max 2 in Hi Viz Mine

is-max-2-mine-helmet.jpg

Turns out I'm not a Shoei head at all. Tried the Neotec and it wasn't as snug and didn't feel as secure as the HJC. Bummer really, even though finances weren't here this season, I really wanted to like that helmet. I still lust after the Hi Viz graphic... but my head felt "loose" especially side to side near the top.

The HJC I ordered is XL, and the size charts would have said I was a L for others considering these, but I was an XL in my last HJC. The kids/wife went for a matching stripe scheme using the pink instead of the Hi Viz. They were in XS in the last HJC, and the same this time.

JRob met me over there with his wife. We spent some time trying just about all the configurations of most of the helmets we were considering. Shock and surprise :eek: the new Schuberth C4 was front and center, just taken out of the boxes the day before.

C4.jpg

JRob was opposite of me. He wanted to look at the HJC and felt pinched, with pressure points fore and aft. A quick slip-on of the Shoei and you could see it in his face. He was home. Fit like a glove.

Interestingly, we both fit the Schuberth fairly well. I thought the C4 was very well done. Extremely well built, fine craftsmanship, the feeling of a fine leather interior in an upscale car. The integrated comm system is truly remarkable. A couple pods slide into place and you're done. Fit, feel, etc, etc, are simply nice. I can't justify the expense though.

Overall, bummed I didn't fit the Neotec and excited I get a newer, safer, quieter, lighter, better helmet!!! (can't wait for it to arrive)

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Back in the early eighties there was the Hurt MC report that reported even the cheapest helmets saved lives at a tiny drop in statistical significance. There are a few makes that do delaminate so be a little choosy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I am not understanding your reply. It infers that the impact from a crash at a given speed that happens during a 5 mile commute is somehow less than the impact from a crash at the same speed that happens during a 500 mile ride so a cheaper quality helmet is fine if you are only traveling a distance of 5 miles?
No problem. In my later post I observe that a cheap helmet saved my jaw from being destroyed. I'm not at all making a commentary on the cost of a helmet as it pertains to safety at speed or distance ridden.

Rather, that if I'm in the saddle for 800 miles, I wouldn't want a cheap helmet as it relates to comfort, venting, and general livability. To me, it's the way the helmet wears that makes the higher cost worth it.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
The old Helmet Discussion.
Like anything else it's individual choice for a variety of reasons.
I tend to agree with the what's your head worth mind set.

From the sources I have on hand. General overview. (lots of reading if you want to track this down)
DOT helmets are not necessarily tested. (random testing from my info) there are standards for DOT obviously
ECE (economic community of Europe) Produced helmets are tested for compliance. Not sure of sample size.
SNELL still the most stringent. Manufacturer pays for testing. Price is obviously passed to consumer.
Price scale, SNELL rated helmets are the highest priced ones not that you won't see over lapping prices through out the price ranges between the ratings.

I typically get SNELL rated helmets. Mostly full face. I do have DOT only full face too.

Modular Helmets weakness is the hinge & chin bar lock. I see a lot of riders that ride with chin bar up. Won't have time to lock it down if you ever have to test it.
The raised chin bar does catch the wind and I hope to hell no one ever departs there machine and has that chin bar get snagged on something.

As we all know though there is no ONE helmet for all scenarios.

Clear as mud right???

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
The old Helmet Discussion.
Like anything else it's individual choice for a variety of reasons.
I tend to agree with the what's your head worth mind set.
I think that is where I ended as well. You can absolutely tell the shape of the helmets are different once you are trying them on. Schuberth C4 on the wrong head is a wrong decision.

From the sources I have on hand. General overview. (lots of reading if you want to track this down)
DOT helmets are not necessarily tested. (random testing from my info) there are standards for DOT obviously
ECE (economic community of Europe) Produced helmets are tested for compliance. Not sure of sample size.
SNELL still the most stringent. Manufacturer pays for testing. Price is obviously passed to consumer.
Price scale, SNELL rated helmets are the highest priced ones not that you won't see over lapping prices through out the price ranges between the ratings.
This is why I was very thankful for the link over to the SHARP site. Where DOT, etc, set minimum standards to be met, they were decidedly report based. For example, If you have three helmets all rated at the same SNELL rating, you still don't know which one is better.

Since some of the bodies don't rate modular, you have another issue. Understandably, it is a track rating and they don't use them on the track. It would be nice if a company would spend the money to test one anyway. Wouldh't it be a hoot if a high priced modular protects as good as a full face in SNELL ratings? The internet may blow up!

Modular Helmets weakness is the hinge & chin bar lock. I see a lot of riders that ride with chin bar up. Won't have time to lock it down if you ever have to test it.
The raised chin bar does catch the wind and I hope to hell no one ever departs there machine and has that chin bar get snagged on something.
I agree that some modulars can have a problem with the chin bar. But, at least the helmet I purchased, has a 100 percent rating on staying closed during testing. Neotec and C4 scored high 90 percentile. Being able to see a failure rate of chin bars is HUGE for me. I like the form of grading in addition to the minimum achievement for whatever standards they have to meet.

I would assume as all the companies get their helmets improved that the disparity in safety between full face and modular will go away. But, for the simple reason that it adds weight and moving parts, you will probably never see them in racing.

As we all know though there is no ONE helmet for all scenarios.
The truth... well said.

Bike
2012 ST1300
Wear the helmet that fits your head type the best. Is comfortable for you and something you will actually wear. If that is cheap or expensive it does not matter what matters is that you wear it. Some one else pointed out they all have to pass same safety tests based on testing cert stickers.

I replace my helmets every 5 to 7 years even if they still look new. I have yet to find a better fit than Arai Signet for my head. I hate how much I pay for them but hey I can wear it for 8+ hours without a headache. I always buy clear visors and I wear sunglasses when needed.

Buy one make sure it fits right and wear it.

Bike
2005 st1300
I have an HJC that was reasonably priced and fits like a glove. I do however find it quite noisy and I would spend more to get a quieter helmet but I'm not sure if another helmet would be quieter to the point that it would be worth it to me . i say "to me" because everyones idea of worth is different. Most agree that the more expensive helmets are quieter, but I would hate to spend mucho dollars to find that they are only a bit quieter. With no way to try different helmets to compare noise, I am content for now. If I were to consider a new helmet, and I have given it some thought lately, I would look into a lightweight unit as I have neck issues that may benefit from a weight savings. i like the idea of a retractable tinted visor as well. I like a clear visor but sometimes I ride directly into the sun and would like a tinted one for short periods.

africord

Plains Rider
Bike
2002 VFR800
My plan with every helmet is to look for comfortable, light-weight helmet with high SHARP ratings. Modular features aren't that important to me. My last two helmets have been from Shark, but I'm not married to the brand. I'm not due for a replacement for a couple of years. The Speed-R I'm wearing now does have a built sun visor which I appreciate a lot when riding into the sun. In low speed, high temp conditions, I've been known to ride with the main visor up and the sun visor down for improved cooling.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I have an HJC that was reasonably priced and fits like a glove. I do however find it quite noisy and I would spend more to get a quieter helmet but I'm not sure if another helmet would be quieter to the point that it would be worth it to me . i say "to me" because everyones idea of worth is different. Most agree that the more expensive helmets are quieter, but I would hate to spend mucho dollars to find that they are only a bit quieter. With no way to try different helmets to compare noise, I am content for now. If I were to consider a new helmet, and I have given it some thought lately, I would look into a lightweight unit as I have neck issues that may benefit from a weight savings. i like the idea of a retractable tinted visor as well. I like a clear visor but sometimes I ride directly into the sun and would like a tinted one for short periods.
I went from an HJC to the Shoei Qwest in search of a quieter lid. I always wear earplugs and do find the Qwest is quieter. On the ST I find the Qwest helmet is louder with the shield closed, but then I wear it with the visor up unless it's raining and let the ST's adjustable windshield push the air up over my head while still looking over the top of it. It is quieter than the HJC, but it's also a lot more expensive. I'm considering a modular for my next lid, but it likely will be an HJC or Scorpion as for me the Shoei, Schuberth, Nolan modular lids aren't worth the premium price they charge. Of course YMMV as no lid will fit every head, or meet everyone's criteria for safety, comfort or features. :)

I agree with the "Buy one make sure it fits right and wear it" sentiment. Solid logic.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
A suggestion I received from the sales staff was to purchase the chin curtain for my HJC. Some models do not come with chin curtains, although all models have one designed for them. He said it makes a noticeable difference in the noise level inside the helmet.
I notice all the higher end helmets have them.

Another option that normally comes with the higher end helmets is the pinlock lens. Although the HJC SI Max2 I got is Pinlock ready (it has the pins in the shield), you have to purchase the Pinlock Shield individually. The addition of a chin curtain and Pinlock Shield will put you back $40-$50.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
A suggestion I received from the sales staff was to purchase the chin curtain for my HJC. Some models do not come with chin curtains, although all models have one designed for them. He said it makes a noticeable difference in the noise level inside the helmet.
I notice all the higher end helmets have them.

Another option that normally comes with the higher end helmets is the pinlock lens. Although the HJC SI Max2 I got is Pinlock ready (it has the pins in the shield), you have to purchase the Pinlock Shield individually. The addition of a chin curtain and Pinlock Shield will put you back $40-$50.
My budget Bilt helmet came with one of those, i snap it in, in the cooler wx. Doesn't do a lot for noise, but keeps cold air off my chin. Chunk.

RCS

...are the 200-400 dollar helmets that much better than a 150 or less ones???...
Get a brand name DOT rated helmet (Shoei, Bell, etc) that is less than 5 years old, fits, that you like, and wear it. A helmet will help on low impact collisions. No helmet regardless of price will help if your head goes from 30mph to 0mph instantly.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Get a brand name DOT rated helmet (Shoei, Bell, etc) that is less than 5 years old, fits, that you like, and wear it. A helmet will help on low impact collisions. No helmet regardless of price will help if your head goes from 30mph to 0mph instantly.
LIke they say about falling off a cliff, 'it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end!!'

I see some of the crashes the road racers survive, they hit the ground at serious speed, all depends how you fall, as long as you hit nothing and nothing hits you, theres a chance you'll survive a slide.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I went from a HJC Symax2 ($150 I think) to a Shoei Neotec ($500). The Shoei is much better built, superior air flow, much more comfortable and significantly quieter. Plus it has interior tinted shield and Pinlock. It's 5 years old now and I'm back to shopping around again. There are tons of options out there. PROPER FIT IS EVERYTHING!
BoSTon -- Do yourself a favor and take a look at the "lesser" IS-Max 2. They have the integrated sunglasses (IS), although the stock ones are fairly lightly tinted. You may opt to add a darker visor. As mentioned, a chin curtain and Pinlock shield will add $40 to $50, then whatever you the darker visor shield (if you want one). Makes a $200 helmet $250 to $275, but still a far cry from what you can get in one.

In any regards, they are better vented than the previous or current versions of the Symax, of even the RPHA for that matter. Larger export vents in the rear too, which is what I would attribute the better flow.

Then, take a look at the SHARP ratings. Better than just about all the options in the US. One of the few modulars with 100 percent chin bar retention during testing.

The HJC line has a few really good helmets, a few optional helmets, and a few stinkers. Price is apparently not indicative of quality. I specifically stayed away from the Symax 2, and Symax 3 even though I am moving from an original Symax. Once I had the test results I searched out owners and their experience was that the lowly SI-Max 2 was better vented.

I'll be able to tell you for certain sometime this week. I'm patiently awaiting my tires, which will also gives time for the helmet to come in. I'll be sure to review it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
As with anything once you exceed a certain price point you may no longer be paying for a main feature or spec. It's all the additional features some requirements some niceties that drive price up.

Both my $60 Bilt and $550 Neotec fit well but the former's build quality isn't as nice as the Shoei. But I'm confident enough to use it for around town.

And a 'quiet helmet' is more mythological than fact as far as I'm concerned. I've never come across a helmet that is as quiet as not wearing one. (Not that I'm recommending helmetlessness.)

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
I went from an HJC to the Shoei Qwest in search of a quieter lid. I always wear earplugs and do find the Qwest is quieter. On the ST I find the Qwest helmet is louder with the shield closed, but then I wear it with the visor up unless it's raining and let the ST's adjustable windshield push the air up over my head while still looking over the top of it. It is quieter than the HJC, but it's also a lot more expensive. I'm considering a modular for my next lid, but it likely will be an HJC or Scorpion as for me the Shoei, Schuberth, Nolan modular lids aren't worth the premium price they charge. Of course YMMV as no lid will fit every head, or meet everyone's criteria for safety, comfort or features. :)

I agree with the "Buy one make sure it fits right and wear it" sentiment. Solid logic.
The noise is from the air entering under the helmet. I have 2 SHOEI Qwest helmets and both of them have the SHOEI Whisper Strip kits installed. They completely block out any air flow from under the helmet, but this also makes it a little hot inside the lid. I bought mine from eBay through a seller a Germany, couldn't find it anywhere here in the US.

Top Bottom