HIGH MILEAGE hall of fame

STU

Hi Folks,

I'm sure this will have been done before, but I cant find the 'search forums' button.
Just wondering what kind of mileage people have done on the ST's and if they have had any significant problems.

I've got a 2003 model which has now done 83,000 miles. So far, (touch wood) no big problems, except the brakes keep sticking. Going to try and get that sorted very soon.

Bye!
STU

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Welcome, if you go to "home" then "mileage tracker" you will see what mileage people are racking up on ST's and other fine machines.......

As to sticking brakes, that will need a caliper strip, pistons out for cleaning and new seals before a full system bleed, the degree of difficulty depends on if it's an 11 or 1300 and ABS with TCS or non ABS......
If your pistons are particularly bad you may need to replace those also..... it might even be worth buying some used calipers off ebay and overhauling them before stripping others off... don't forget to get copper washers for the banjo unions when refitting calipers.

I regularly strip and clean my calipers, every tyre change or service depending on miles, stops this happening.

Use copper grease or moly on the pad retaining pins after cleaning too..... especially as you also live in this green and salty land......

OP
OP

STU

Thanks for all that. Really helpful. I've got some time off work soon, so will get it sorted. Problem is I use the bike every day so I'm riding it and trying not to brake hard at the mo!! Mind you, I guess I shouldnt be needing to brake hard anyway.
I thought about just ordering some new pistons so they are here ready, but I notice David Silver Spares doesnt sell stuff for the ST anymore. What a pain. I used to use him all the time for my blackbird (previous bike) and he was great. Where do people get there parts now for ST's?
Thanks
STU

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Silvers does sell Honda stuff but after being sued by Honda he can only sell bits for bikes ten years old or older....... I'm okay with my 2001......

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
The 1st ST1300s were sold on your side of the pond in '02...
If he can only off parts for bikes over 10 years old the ST1300 is golden in 3 days.

OP
OP

STU

Didnt think about that. Good point. I'll wait 3 days and then give David Silver a call!!!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Might be worth checking some part number, the ABSII brakes on the late model 1100s use the same brake pads as the 13, maybe other parts fit as well. No need to wait if that is the case. (Thinking caliper pistons 'n seals specifically.)

OP
OP

STU

Thanks George,
Sure you would be correct on that. Good news is that David Silver has already started listing parts for the 02 ST1300, so looks like all is well now!

Top Bottom