Hip R&R

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Posted June 10:

I'm baaaaackk! I had the R&R done Tuesday morning, woke up feeling great, and took my first walk that afternoon, with a walker, of course. Next day, two walks, first one up and down practice steps, second one up and down a real flight of stairs, both with a cane. Also spent some time sitting in a chair.

My son picked me up yesterday afternoon, went by Costco for meds (he went in) and Firehouse Subs for dinner to take home (we both went in). I made it home (15 steps outside, 14 inside), crawled into bed, watched TV, checked email, read forums (too tired to post), did my exercises, and slept well.

Today, I did some more exercises and stretches, got up, went downstairs, fed the kitties, got some tea from the fridge, came back up, took care of a few things online, and I'm feeling immensely better. For the first time in quite a few years, I can stand up straight and I can lie flat on my stomach.

I can stand upright fairly easily without leaning on anything, I can walk fairly evenly as long as I support some of my weight with my right hand, as with a cane. I sometimes use my walker closed, with the wheels in line like a bike, as if it was a cane with wheels, which I started doing last time.

It feels more to me like weakness than real pain, unless I try to put all of my weight on it. When I went for the 3-week checkup for the right hip which was 10.5 years ago, I was just reaching being able to walk without a cane. This recovery seems to be easier than I remember the last one being.

Thank all of you for your kind wishes. I hope to be able to get back on the bike in a month or two but I'm not going to push myself. I don't want to risk doing any more damage to myself or my ST. Falling would be the worst thing I could have happen right now, and that applies to riding as well.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Posted June 19:

Quick update. I'm walking up and down stairs using both legs, but still holding the railing and opposite wall. I can walk around the grocery store using only a shopping cart.

I can't quite put all of my weight on my left leg yet, unless I have just a little weight on my right hand, but I'm getting close. The important thing is that I can stand upright.

I'm mostly looking forward to being able to put my left foot on the footpeg, and put it back on the ground, without saying "Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow! Whew, I did it!"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Today I was able to walk normally, erect and evenly, using just a cane. I still need a few moments to un-kink when I first stand up, but once I do, I can walk fairly well. I get a bit tired after a while, because my body isn't used to standing or walking upright but the pain is much, much less than it ever was before.

I was walking at my three-week check-up after the first hip. I hope to at least match that with this one.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Soon you will be thankful for how much a few pieces of metal and plastic could change your life. Get well soon!

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Definitely being careful. As of yesterday, with the physical therapist's encouragement, after a couple of minutes of warm-up walking with the cane, I can walk steadily without using it.

So, after 16 days, I can put full weight on the new hip.
run1.gif

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
New update: I got in the car, drove myself to a couple of stores, went in, shopped around, and had no problems.

In fact, it was much easier getting in and out of the driver's seat than it was of the passenger seat of my son's car.

I did use my cane to walk up my front lawn to hold the weight of my bags, but otherwise I walked well without it.

I'm free!

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
It's me again. I've been getting around almost as well as new. I'm only slightly weak on the new hip, and have a little lack of flexibility but there is no pain. I can walk around without having to lean or hold onto anything.

I can walk down steps with both legs normally without leaning on anything, but I still need to hold the railing to go up. It will be a while before even sitting on a bike is a consideration. I expect to be riding by WV-STOC.

Speaking of which, John C. let me know earlier today that a room became available, so I let him know that I wanted it. I can't wait to get back to seeing everyone and riding around with the pack. Brownies will be served!

I was discharged by the in-home physical therapist and told it's time for out-patient therapy, which is where I go to a facility to work out. I'll be sure to let them know I want to work on strengthening my legs for riding.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Posted June 10:

I'm baaaaackk! I had the R&R done Tuesday morning, woke up feeling great, and took my first walk that afternoon, with a walker, of course. Next day, two walks, first one up and down practice steps, second one up and down a real flight of stairs, both with a cane. Also spent some time sitting in a chair.

My son picked me up yesterday afternoon, went by Costco for meds (he went in) and Firehouse Subs for dinner to take home (we both went in). I made it home (15 steps outside, 14 inside), crawled into bed, watched TV, checked email, read forums (too tired to post), did my exercises, and slept well.

Today, I did some more exercises and stretches, got up, went downstairs, fed the kitties, got some tea from the fridge, came back up, took care of a few things online, and I'm feeling immensely better. For the first time in quite a few years, I can stand up straight and I can lie flat on my stomach.

I can stand upright fairly easily without leaning on anything, I can walk fairly evenly as long as I support some of my weight with my right hand, as with a cane. I sometimes use my walker closed, with the wheels in line like a bike, as if it was a cane with wheels, which I started doing last time.

It feels more to me like weakness than real pain, unless I try to put all of my weight on it. When I went for the 3-week checkup for the right hip which was 10.5 years ago, I was just reaching being able to walk without a cane. This recovery seems to be easier than I remember the last one being.

Thank all of you for your kind wishes. I hope to be able to get back on the bike in a month or two but I'm not going to push myself. I don't want to risk doing any more damage to myself or my ST. Falling would be the worst thing I could have happen right now, and that applies to riding as well.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming.
U will b kicking ass soon!

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Okay, I had my 3-week check-up today (24 days actually). The surgeon's nurse said that my in-home therapist was amazed by my healing and walking progress. He's impressed with my being able to walk normally today.

They took new X-rays, everything looks good, and I get to start out-patient therapy this coming Thursday. Time to work on stretching, strength, and endurance, with emphasis on getting back to work and back on the bike.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Good news on your recovery. I can kind of relate as I’m am just 5 and a half weeks out from a total left knee replacement. I’m almost to the point where I forget about it, but still working and making progress on range of motion.

Top Bottom