HOLY COW, sucky mileage out of the Z6's...

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
so i put on tires the week before I left for the gap, I might have ridden 500km of straigth highway to cruise to work and home before going down, after "only" 5500km (roughly 3000-3500miles) this rear tire looks totally worn...and its only got MAYBE 6000km total on it now....what gives? my pilot roads had 23,000km on it before I replaced it and they still looked better then this...in fact it was carrying a lighter load on the Metzelers...this type of mileage I'd expect on tires in sport bike terriotory not in a sport touring tire...

Bike
BMW GS
Probably just how you rode while you had them on. The roads at the Gap are abrasive and you probably rode a bit harder than usual.

I've never gotten more than 4,500 miles out fo a set of tires on my ST. I just can't fathom how people can get 12,000+ miles without riding like a Nun on them :) .

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I only got about 7,000 miles out of my front Z6 and thought that was bad! I have heard of people getting between 5 and 10 thousand miles out of the back tires. It is all in the way you ride I guess. :03biker:

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
My last set of Roadtechs came in 12,000 miles, and was down to the cords.

I just recently returned from the West Coast, total miles for the trip over 8,000 miles, (most of it over the speed limit) tires still good, (Z6's) but the front is cupped and the rear is squaring off.

The tires I mentioned went to the west coast last year, then 2 months of local riding, then the Blue Ridge for some leaning in October.

I don't think the Z6's are gonna fare as well on the RT, but it looks like I will get at least 9 out of them.

The bike was loaded for cross country, but I am light in the saddle. Bikes with top cases, riding two up, aftermarket windscreens are about as slick in the wind as orange crates which=drag=poor tire wear and overall performance. Riding style also plays a part, the constant snatching of sloppy shifting, hard breaking etc also plays a part.

I dunno bro, wearing out a set of Z6's in 3,000 miles, I'd hafta to take a look at whatever is I'm doing. The amount of miles I ride, I'd be be changing tires every few weeks at that rate.

OP
OP

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
My last set of Roadtechs came in 12,000 miles, and was down to the cords.

I just recently returned from the West Coast, total miles for the trip over 8,000 miles, (most of it over the speed limit) tires still good, (Z6's) but the front is cupped and the rear is squaring off.

The tires I mentioned went to the west coast last year, then 2 months of local riding, then the Blue Ridge for some leaning in October.

I don't think the Z6's are gonna fare as well on the RT, but it looks like I will get at least 9 out of them.

The bike was loaded for cross country, but I am light in the saddle. Bikes with top cases, riding two up, aftermarket windscreens are about as slick in the wind as orange crates which=drag=poor tire wear and overall performance. Riding style also plays a part, the constant snatching of sloppy shifting, hard breaking etc also plays a part.

I dunno bro, wearing out a set of Z6's in 3,000 miles, I'd hafta to take a look at whatever is I'm doing. The amount of miles I ride, I'd be be changing tires every few weeks at that rate.
I duly admit I was riding harder at the Gap region then I normally would...and I know that Pilot Roads are a longer wearing tire then alot of other tires out there...but this Z6 mileage compared to my Pilot Road mileage is ridiculous...the pilot road I had on while crossing the country, fully loaded and tearing up the roads in the mountains on the west coast... both were leaned over to the edges and speeds weren't that much different, but holy cow huge different almost 4 times more mileage out of the michelins...

Top Bottom