Home Made Dash Shelf

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
I decided to start smartening the farkle mountings up, and decided I needed a shelf. Here's the result.

I used all scrap bit's I had kicking around the sheet metal was once part of a Rover SD1 bonnet, the mounts for the gear are adapted hands free phone mounts. The type your aunt buys you at christmas but don't work. I mounted it with two brackets one front one rear, There were holes in the plastic anyway where I had screwed the old mounts to. I edged it off with some foam thermal insulation tape so it wont rub the screen. I had the bike round the block and very little vibration, if I did it again I would have put a brace across the length of it just to stiffen it up a bit more.
Total Cost zero cash...two hours messing out of the way in the garden shed.
Paul
And of course I fitted white leds under it to iluminate the dash area.

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Paul!

Paint!
Lights!
Dash mods!

Where is it going to end! :)

Good looking shelf!

Mark

OP
OP
alphafang
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Hi Sirepair
I can knock a couple up for the shop mate it could be your first import.....:D

Hi Mark
Who knows the answer to these things mate....:D
Cheers

Paul

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
That's cool. My friend and I have a design in mind to modify an exisiting product that will make it fit better and work better at a fraction of the cost to buy one. If I get off my duff and get busy on it, I might be able to market it.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Outstanding! I'm impressed that you could knock that out in just a couple of hours. Looks terrific.

John

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Hi Sirepair
I can knock a couple up for the shop mate it could be your first import.....:D
Cheers

Paul
Paul,
Thanks for the offer but I got more pieces of scrap sheet metal/aluminum lying around here than I know what to do with, just have to get around to making it!

PS, I really like to color of you STeed!

Pat O

OP
OP
alphafang
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Cheers sirepair
so I cant Off load my scrap on you then...lol
I like the Gold too ( good job really I suppose) It's a shame that Honda didnt do the Anniversary 50th Birthday edition in the States.
I just wish I could find out how many were released in this colour.
You take care buddy
all the best Pat
Paul

OP
OP
alphafang
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Heres a pic of the now updated home made dash shelf.
I made it out of thicker ally to take some of the bounce out it's much better. I have a bit of a problem seeing the ABS light in the centre of the dash but not any thing else so I can live with that.

OP
OP
alphafang
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
I Just made a template out of stiff card board and went for it, mines mounted with 'L' brackets to the shelf and rearmost (on the bike) screws in the dash surround. A single self tapper holds the back of the shelf down to the plastic.
If you want any help get in touch matey I may even have some of the ally left too.
Paul

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I am in the market for a shelf for my 2000 ST1100. There used to be one on the market that had a folded down area on each side and came with a wiring harness for 2 plugs. I have the plugs but can't find the shelf, what does your design look like? If you like you can email me at geneboro@bellsouth.net.
Thanks, Gene:usflag1: :aussie1:
Sorry, it's not a shelf Gene.

Paul you've got me very tempted :) will have to run it by the boss :bow1: ( not a bike lover!! ) hates me spending OUR hard earned cash on the bike???

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Paul,

Nicely done! You can always get a lot of satisfaction out of little projects like this.

John

OP
OP
alphafang
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Thanks JA your right having a go at doing little bits like this is good it gets you a bit further into the relationship with the bike too I think. You take notice of how things are put together and come apart. I have never been frightened of putting a spanner/wrench to any thing I just try to remember to do it with respect.
Scouse go for it matey get your hands mucky pal. I was going to suggest that I cut the shelf shape for you and mail it but that wouldn't be any good as it depends on which type of screen you have on the bike the front profile of the shelf would be different and the last thing you need is the shelf rubbing through the screen. When I made mine even after cutting it to the template I still had to do a bit of grinding and filing. It's not going to be a massive expense for materials I used a couple of small L shaped brackets with elongated holes in them so I could slide them about to mount the shelf.
I could go take some better pics for you if you like, but give me a couple of days I only got out of hospital yesterday after getting a bout of pneumonia....now that was brilliant.... I'm still a bit weak and know I couldn't be pulling the bikes about to get some better pics.
Paul

Bike
st110t
STOC #
Hi,

I would be very interested in one of these for my '95 st100, would be a better pleace to mount the Streetpilot 3 rather than hamgng on the right handlebar.

Cheers

Dave

Top Bottom