Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Look out!

[video=youtube;pIKQjt-e0zY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIKQjt-e0zY[/video]

Bike
2020 BMW K1600GTL
SPOILER SPACE
ATGATT, because you just never know when someone is going to throw a motorcycle at you. Seriously, though, I found myself really anxious he was going to go over the edge.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Um. I'm glad I'm too old to even try that kind of stuff any more. Yikes!

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
talk about coming out of nowhere. I also thought he was going over the edge.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
At least it was only the bike that flew in front of him, and not the rider of that bike! :eek:4:

Still sucks though! :(

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I'm surprised at two things..... one, he didn't appear to brake anywhere near hard enough when the hazard first appeared, two, other bikes rode past AFTER the event!

OP
OP
Throttlejockey

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm surprised at two things..... one, he didn't appear to brake anywhere near hard enough when the hazard first appeared, two, other bikes rode past AFTER the event!
I think because he was focused on the road in front of him and not expecting a motorcycle to drop out of the sky, he didn't have time to react. There is a 12,000 ft drop off to the right!

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Hazards don't just appear in front of you, they appear from everywhere... as this clearly proves!

If you only focus on the road in front of you, then there is an inevitability that you will suffer from an "unseen" hazard, despite it being fully within your field of view!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
other bikes rode past AFTER the event!
Hey it was a race and he was standing'!

I think because he was focused on the road in front of him and not expecting a motorcycle to drop out of the sky, he didn't have time to react.
Yeah it's easy to say you shoulda done this or that. Sayin' isn't doin'.

I do agree with the "Go left young man" sentiment. Even though he may not have cleared the bike it would have put him farther away from the little roll down the hill.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I do agree with the "Go left young man" sentiment. Even though he may not have cleared the bike it would have put him farther away from the little roll down the hill.
There may have been someone on his left so that he wasn't able to swerve. I can see how the guy that passed him (to the inside) may have been braking at the same time and only got back on the throttle when he could clear the falling bike. Maybe. Just trying to see all angles.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just trying to see all angles.
Sure. I'm just going on what we can see. Personally I think it just happened too fast to avoid. Or target fixation.

Since we don't know all the factors I'm not carving anything in stone. I guess if he had ended up a few feet more to the right somebody else would be.

Top Bottom