Honda GN4 Oil And Shift Quality?

Bike
2000 ST1100
ASPC what you are going to have to do is put the oil analysis charts away and go with the folks who have used the oil GN4 for decades and decades. Only you can make that choice of which oil will protect your machine best. We can only give you our take or opinion and experience. Some here that hate the oil will hate it and say its no good even though the oil has proven it will protect your motor for 8K miles. It has beaten all new comers botique oils and diesel oils .It still is the heavy weight champion of oil. :run1:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The post is about oil specifically Honda GN4 and shift quality...
So could you pleeeze care to explain your "shift quality" then, as I'm still in the dark here...
I doubt they have added jelly or such to reduce clunking...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
So could you pleeeze care to explain your "shift quality" then, as I'm still in the dark here...
I doubt they have added jelly or such to reduce clunking...
He is probably referring to how it feels.
Example, when your dot 4 clutch fluid starts degrading your bike won’t shift as smoothly or quietly as when the fluid is fresh and hasn’t started to break down.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
For some reason folks think I hate Honda oil(s).
I don’t hate any oil, I just prefer to use the best quality oil for my purposes.
Just about ANY oil will work in our bikes, I’m in the camp of, " in a world of compromise some don’t "etc.
Like anything else, a cheap entry level beginner guitar will play chords and notes that some folks will accept as “good enough”, and they see no reason for anything else etc. However a vintage Martin, Gibson, Collings, or Santa Cruz Hand built custom guitar(s) are Worlds apart in every aspect.
A modern low cost plastic 9mm will still punch holes in a target at 21 feet, which would be acceptable by most people, but for someone who takes the time to hand fit and precisely tune their .45, they will be able to cut cloverleaf ‘s at 25 and 50 yards etc.
Some just strive for good enough and acceptable, while others strive for precision and exceptional.
Use what ever oil you like and go ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
For some reason folks think I hate Honda oil(s).
I don’t hate any oil, I just prefer to use the best quality oil for my purposes.
Just about ANY oil will work in our bikes, I’m in the camp of, " in a world of compromise some don’t "etc.
Like anything else, a cheap entry level beginner guitar will play chords and notes that some folks will accept as “good enough”, and they see no reason for anything else etc. However a vintage Martin, Gibson, Collings, or Santa Cruz Hand built custom guitar(s) are Worlds apart in every aspect.
A modern low cost plastic 9mm will still punch holes in a target at 21 feet, which would be acceptable by most people, but for someone who takes the time to hand fit and precisely tune their .45, they will be able to cut cloverleaf ‘s at 25 and 50 yards etc.
Some just strive for good enough and acceptable, while others strive for precision and exceptional.
Use what ever oil you like and go ride.
Premium blue one solution has the least additive package in this list. It is not even vaguely the best oil for a motorcycle. It’s laughable. It’s a simple case of numbers, not even 1000 ppm zinc in virgin premium blue oil one solution oil. In the high performance world it’s a joke. Honda oil on the other hand is average and perfectly adequate. Science and engineering numbers, not an opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
That is not Premium Blue One Solution, that is a different oil, not the oil you constantly recommend. Please learn the difference so we can put a stop to this nonsense. Even in a thread such as this which is about Honda GN4. Premium blue one solution blah blah blah. You don’t even know what’s in it obviously. Because you can’t identify the correct product.

And that is a Harley Davidson, hardly a high performance engine. The only Harley to equal the performance of the ST1300 has a liquid cooled engine designed by Porsche because Harley couldn’t design one themselves. And please don’t argue with me about this, look it up.

Also off the Valvoline site. Not bitog and not 10w30. The same information I have posted before. Which you again seem to forget. This is your beloved Premium Blue One Solution gen 1. Not gen 2. And not the oil you have posted above. Are you purposely misleading people ?

963074BE-1D11-46EF-86A8-68006A795852.jpeg

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I'm having trouble scrutinizing this thread for an actual recommendation for which oil I should use.

72,000 trouble-free miles on a 2010 ST1300 and I've only made sure to avoid energy-conserving/resource-conserving.

I feel like we obsess over which oil to use because it's at least of the things we have some control over. Most issues we have with our bikes are things that we could not have influenced anyway.

I'm going to continue with the same way of choosing oil that I've been doing all along. If my bike fails due to poor oil choices before it reaches 200,000 miles, I'll deal with it then. In the meantime, my focus is going to be to enjoy to ride.

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I'm having trouble scrutinizing this thread for an actual recommendation for which oil I should use.

72,000 trouble-free miles on a 2010 ST1300 and I've only made sure to avoid energy-conserving/resource-conserving.

I feel like we obsess over which oil to use because it's at least of the things we have some control over. Most issues we have with our bikes are things that we could not have influenced anyway.

I'm going to continue with the same way of choosing oil that I've been doing all along. If my bike fails due to poor oil choices before it reaches 200,000 miles, I'll deal with it then. In the meantime, my focus is going to be to enjoy to ride.
This thread is about Honda GN4 and shift quality, not which oil is recommended. Sadly like so many it has degenerated into the usual Premium blue one solution nonsense, which occurs whenever oil is mentioned.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
This thread is about Honda GN4 and shift quality, not which oil is recommended. Sadly like so many it has degenerated into the usual Premium blue one solution nonsense, which occurs whenever oil is mentioned.
Thanks. Yeah, you're right.

Top Bottom