Honda GN4 Oil And Shift Quality?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
When you keep referring to HONDA branded oil, you do realize that the source often changes every so often right?
Several different sources have provided Honda with oil over the years.
I think you'd be surprised if you searched around a bit and found how many different makers provided oil to Honda ;)
It may just change the way some of these Honda Loyal, Bleed Honda Red, Die Hard fans look at the lubricants and what Honda charges for them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
When you keep referring to HONDA branded oil, you do realize that the source often changes every so often right?
Several different sources have provided Honda with oil over the years.
I think you'd be surprised if you searched around a bit and found how many different makers provided oil to Honda ;)
I may just change the way some of these Honda Loyal, Bleed Honda Red, Die Hard fans look at the lubricants and what Honda charges for them.
I know this.

But it is reasonable to assume that Honda branded motorcycle oil is reliable in that it will always perform as required without question.
It is for this reason I may use it. It’s cheap and requires no thought on my part.

I am disappointed with the shift quality when using Motul 7100 after using Mobil 1 auto oil which was very good. So I’m asking people about their experiences with Honda GN4 in this respect.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I know this.

But it is reasonable to assume that Honda branded motorcycle oil is reliable in that it will always perform as required without question.
It is for this reason I may use it. It’s cheap and requires no thought on my part.

I am disappointed with the shift quality when using Motul 7100 after using Mobil 1 auto oil which was very good. So I’m asking people about their experiences with Honda GN4 in this respect.
Your putting a lot of blind faith in Honda and marketing there pal.
You do realize that a lot of the bids for oil choice has nothing to do with quality, but rather price?
While these amusing Fortnine videos are not talking about Honda GN4 oil, it may give you an idea of the mfgrs/dealerships side of things.
When he is talking tires, think OIL :rofl1:

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
You do realize that a lot of the bids for oil choice has nothing to do with quality, but rather price?
While these amusing Fortnine videos are not talking about Honda GN4 oil, it may give you an idea of the mfgrs/dealerships side of things.
When he is talking tires, think OIL :rofl1:
Are you saying we shouldn’t trust Honda branded oil now?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
No, just pointing out that you assumed Honda stuff was the best since they made the bike, and therefore must work fine without question etc.
I just question stuff.
Do you find motorcycle or car salesman fighting over each other to get to you when they see you walk in? :rofl1:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
No matter who is the supplier of oils to Honda at any given moment, it is oil that meets specifications stipulated by Honda. So in my opinion the question to be asked is not who the supplier is, but rather whether or not you have faith in Honda to properly spec an oil for motorcycles that they build.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are only 3 or 4 companies in the US that produce their own motor oil and also supply base stocks for smaller companies or specialty oil companies that blend their own brands. The important thing is that Honda branded oil meets Honda’s specifications no matter who is the current supplier. In the context of this thread if you buy a Honda branded product you can be sure it meets all the recommendations Honda sets forth.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I found it sad that Honda was down in the sixth position, and that Royal Enfield and BMW had cleaner engines off the line.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is BS Larry.

Of course it’s about price. Some folks are confused what quality is and confuse it with price. Why would Shell or Valvoline or Phillips pay more than necessary for an additive they don’t produce themselves but use in the manufacturing of motor oil? They set the specifications for the additive and put it out to their vendors that can supply it. The bid package would include product specifications, on time deliveries, and in quantities specified and perhaps other requirements. If the cheapest bid meets all the requirements in the bid it’s the highest quality offer and a manufacturer would be foolish to chose a more expensive offer.

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
No, just pointing out that you assumed Honda stuff was the best since they made the bike, and therefore must work fine without question etc.
I just question stuff.
Do you find motorcycle or car salesman fighting over each other to get to you when they see you walk in? :rofl1:
I am not saying Honda oil is the best, I am saying I trust that it meets the requirements set forth by Honda.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
There are only 3 or 4 companies in the US that produce their own motor oil and also supply base stocks for smaller companies or specialty oil companies that blend their own brands. The important thing is that Honda branded oil meets Honda’s specifications no matter who is the current supplier. In the context of this thread if you buy a Honda branded product you can be sure it meets all the recommendations Honda sets forth.
Which nobody knows if they are closer to minimum standards to make more profit for Honda, or as good as some folks here think they are etc.
Like someone pointed out, why would Honda spend more than they needed to sell their products when there are folks like in these threads who will defend them to their last breath?
Did nobody walk away with anything from the Pirelli tire OEM on the Ducati, vs the same brand, size, brand, and fitment for the same tire that the company didn’t pay for?

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Which nobody knows if they are closer to minimum standards to make more profit for Honda, or as good as some folks here think they are etc.
Yes people know, VOA reports tell us everything we need to know about oil. And they have been done on Honda GN4 and I have posted one of them on this site. Here is a UOA report, with multiple reports and mileage on it for each test. This oil was used on a Honda 1000RR which is far more demanding of its oil than an ST1300. The Honda 1000RR has a 999 cc engine, it produces almost 200 bhp and redlines at over 12,000 rpm. The recommended oil is Honda GN4 10W30.

This oil is better at 2,700 miles than some oils are new. It has more zinc in it at 2,700 miles than Premium Blue One Solution has when it is new. Nobody is claiming it is the best oil, but it is obviously more than adequate for the ST1300.

30C67A05-B385-40CD-89C0-368E7E367E9A.jpeg

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
…..the recommended oil was Honda :rofl1:
Of course it was.
They recommended their oil, chain lube, coolant, and every they sell with their name on it.

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
…..the recommended oil was Honda :rofl1:
Of course it was.
They recommended their oil, chain lube, coolant, and every they sell with their name on it.
What’s your point?

Mine is that the oil is perfectly adequate.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Which nobody knows if they are closer to minimum standards to make more profit for Honda, or as good as some folks here think they are etc
As long as those minimum standards that it meets are Honda's, I see no reason for concern.

Minimum standards are not the level at which the oil will cause oil related engine damage. They are the level at which the oil assures that there will not be oil related engine damage. If a person prefers to use what they consider to be superior oil that's fine, but there is no reason to fear using what they consider to be a lesser quality oil as long as it meets or exceeds the minimum standards stipulated by the manufacturer, in this case Honda.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
…..the recommended oil was Honda
Honda naturally would prefer that their products be used. This should be of no surprise to anyone. They are a for profit businees, they would not be very business savy if they did otherwise. They do not mandate or otherwise obligate their customers to use their oil exclusively however.

Honda doesn't keep the lubrication requirements secret. On the contrary, they actually clearly specify in their owner's manuals all of the requirements of the oil that should be used in their products. Making that information easily available is what provides the information required to allow a user to source any brand of oil that they choose, be that Honda's or not.

Top Bottom