Honda line heated grips

Bike
FJR1300
I have the Honda line heated grips that i put on in 2006-2007 on my 2003 FJR1300 with the LCD thermostat control module. The part # is 08T50-MCS-100 the throttle side grip has went bad (yes I tried to fix it) & Honda said in 2011 they discontinued them. does any body make replacement grips to work with my LCD controler. Dual star phone is out of service. Honda says they need to have 2.2 oms of restistance for the LCD module to turn on.

Attachments

Bike
'06 ST1300A
How handy are you?
You could remove the OEM heated grips & replace them with some after-market heaters (DualStar), and new grips (BMW grips are pretty nice).
Here's a schematic showing how to wire the after-market grips to the OEM controller.

Bike
2006 ST1300
When my OEM grips went bad I got the Oxford kit. The controller is easier to use than the Honda one, it can be mounted in the stock location or up on the bars where it is actually easy to reach, and the heating element is built into the grip like the OEM, not a cheesy pad that goes under them. They get HOT on high!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I have tried calling dual star but they don't answer the phone or e mails. I emailed a guy last night and think I found a part to replace my grip. Do u have a # or style of the BMW grips.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/part_08T5013A00001/
The cheapest thing you'll find at a BMW dealer...
Left: 32721458395 (Non Heated Grip, Left, Concentric Groves, Open End - 32721458395)
Right: 32721458396 (Non Heated Grip, Right, Concentric Groves, Open End - 32721458396)

The Dualstar elements don't need a resistor for hi/low they have two heater paths like the Symtec ones. As Anna's Dad shows the oem are hooked up in series, most others are hooked up in parallel and present the same load to the controller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hammer67
Bike
FJR1300
Thanks for the part # that will make it much easier. Do u know if they call them sport grips. The grip with S/H to the USA will b around $50.usd I will get one on order today because it will take a little while to get here and we have allot of cold weather ahead of us yet in fact forecast shows snow today. I have 120.000 on my bike so it does not set much.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
?

Part number in my post are unheated ribbed BMW grips. iirc about 8 bucks a pc.
My local now deceased BMW dealer needed the part number they couldn't pull from inventory with a description of 7/8 bar open end ribbed grip.

The symtec foil elements (looks like they are positioning themselves as a design house not direct market according to their web site) LINK

Here's a link to the old style 2 wire dualstar type with a resistor which if you were using a controller would not be used.
LINK

The new style just ignore the low wire and use the hi and common wires.

OP
OP
hammer67
Bike
FJR1300
Ok it may take a little time to get one but if it is what he says it is & if it looks like the one in the picture then I have a new grip on the way for $56.00usd.

Attachments

OP
OP
hammer67
Bike
FJR1300
I looked at them & if i did not have a hole in my plastic to mount the honda controller that would b fine but the replacment plastic to fix the hole was arround $150-$200, painted parts are $ Thats why I wanted only a replacement grip.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
If you loose another one down the road keep in mind you should be able to use another brand grip or element with the honda controller.

OP
OP
hammer67
Bike
FJR1300
I tried every grip that my honda dealer had in stock & the Harley davidson dealer & called show chrome & Kurakyn. all the grips checked in arround 6 to 10 ohms & i neaded 2.2ohms each.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Perhaps you missed this earlier post that explains in detail how to wire after-market grips with the OEM Honda controller.
I understand why hammer67 wants to keep the Honda controller, but personally i was happy to get rid of it. Mounted low, where its difficult to reach and especially SEE in the dark; and clumsy buttons you can't feel with gloves on made me very happy to be rid of it. Its still there filling the hole until I can take the plastic off and remove it and fill the hole, but i was even looking for ways to switch controllers before the Honda grips died on me. I was so happy I didn't even look for the problem, I just replaced the grips. It could have been just a blown fuse or unplugged wire for all I know...LOL.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I agree, the OEM heated grips controller is rather user unfriendly, unfortunately it leaves a pretty large hole when removed. I made that sketch after reading a few posts lamenting the high cost of OEM replacement grips. Reusing the OEM controller with a set of after-market film heaters seemed a thrifty repair, back when the film heaters could be had for less than $30.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Mounted low, where its difficult to reach and especially SEE in the dark; and clumsy buttons you can't feel with gloves on...
I actually never understood why they went away from the IMHO convenient and 'non destructive' setup they'd shown with the LHS handle bar mounted controller on the ST1100 which can be easily removed/replaced without leaving nasty traces... drilling holes into (expensive) fairing parts is a no-no...

The motorcycle mechs complained a lot once that ST1300 accessory came out, as the opening wasn't even pre-cut, they had to spend much time in fumbling with cordless drill, jigsaw and Dr.Emel ...
...design over functionality...

OP
OP
hammer67
Bike
FJR1300
Anna-sDad I did understand your wiring diagram but I got tired of looking for the aftermarket parts & grips that would work with my Yamaha/Honda controller & the honda dealer was no help so when I found the oem grip.....well, that just made it allot simpler but thanks for the diagram. Besides if I was to find the aftermarket parts & then bought a set of grips I would have more into it than if I just waited for the oem one to get here.

OP
OP
hammer67
Bike
FJR1300
I received my new grip tuesday. The new grip does not look exactly like the old one but its not worth another $38.00 with S/H to make them match. Not sure why my local Honda cant get me the part but Great Britain can. I checked the ohms on the new one & it was 2.2 just like the old one before it went bad. So the heated grips are working great. thanks for all the ideas & suggestions.

Attachments

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
So what was the total cost. I just want to know as if one of mine goes south, I would like to do the same thing you did. Also, what do you think I have to tell them to get the same design that they were selling in the states.

Top Bottom