Honda NX500

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
In the UK for now. Maybe next year in North America but Honda hasn’t said that yet.

Bike
VStrom 650
Seems to have the necessary updates to keep up with the competition. But it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary. I think the 47 bhp will put just about everyone except new riders off. But why would Honda push the envelope here with the TransAlp filling the gap anyway.
I know someone who has the 500X and has done lots of all year round miles on it. He's a believer.
I sat on one before we got The B, it felt very small and more suited to one up riding.
Upt.

Bike
R1200rt
Seems to have the necessary updates to keep up with the competition. But it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary. I think the 47 bhp will put just about everyone except new riders off. But why would Honda push the envelope here with the TransAlp filling the gap anyway.
I know someone who has the 500X and has done lots of all year round miles on it. He's a believer.
I sat on one before we got The B, it felt very small and more suited to one up riding.
Upt.
"Why not give the bike more jam? Because it’s an A2-legal machine. Under Europe’s strict graduated licensing program, these machines are legal for less-experienced riders, and Honda wants to keep it that way "

Bike
VStrom 650
"Why not give the bike more jam? Because it’s an A2-legal machine. Under Europe’s strict graduated licensing program, these machines are legal for less-experienced riders, and Honda wants to keep it that way "
Yes many bikes are capped because of euro rules even those sold outside the EU.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Honda just announced a new model, the NX500 - Basically an adventure version of the CB500x.

It didn't take much for Honda to call it a "new model" over the CB.

Same frame
Same engine
Same brakes
Same suspension

Upgrades: Wheels, fairing, display, lighting, torque control and ECM tweaks.

It could have been just a new model year......but may have made it more difficult for Honda to tack on their 15% price increase!

The guys who were taking their CBs on serious off-roading were Rally Raiding them anyway. And still will have to with the "new" NX....but now with a higher entry price.

Bike
VStrom 650
It didn't take much for Honda to call it a "new model" over the CB.

Same frame
Same engine
Same brakes
Same suspension

Upgrades: Wheels, fairing, display, lighting, torque control and ECM tweaks.

It could have been just a new model year......but may have made it more difficult for Honda to tack on their 15% price increase!

The guys who were taking their CBs on serious off-roading were Rally Raiding them anyway. And still will have to with the "new" NX....but now with a higher entry price.
I think Honda's problem will come in the form of the new boys on the block.
They're getting pretty good at it.
This the CF Moto 450 MT.
450MT (1).png

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
NX500 suspension is adjustable now vs. older model though the travel is the same. ECU mapping is different and supposedly they will be offering a more responsive mapping option. I do like the new styling - I never liked the beak on the CB500x. I wonder if the new bike has a 270 deg. crank.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
NX500 suspension is adjustable now vs. older model though the travel is the same. ECU mapping is different and supposedly they will be offering a more responsive mapping option. I do like the new styling - I never liked the beak on the CB500x. I wonder if the new bike has a 270 deg. crank.
It's the same engine as the CB500X in total so same 180 degree crankshaft. I did not care for the feel of the previous engine but Honda sold plenty of them all over the globe.

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
It's the same engine as the CB500X in total so same 180 degree crankshaft. I did not care for the feel of the previous engine but Honda sold plenty of them all over the globe.
I was just thinking that Honda may change it from a 180 to a 270 crank. I have not seen it reported being either at this time.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
NX500 suspension is adjustable now vs. older model though the travel is the same....

Just like the CB500X, only the rear is adjustable (preload only).

SUSPENSION
Type FrontShowa 41mm SFF-BP USD forks,
Type RearProlink mono with 5 stage preload adjuster, steel hollow cross swingarm

They did revise the settings though....just like they were doing for the CB500X model year changes.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I was just thinking that Honda may change it from a 180 to a 270 crank. I have not seen it reported being either at this time.

"Beneath the surface, the NX500 is still very much a part of the Honda CB500 family. It’s powered by the same 471cc, liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, parallel-twin engine delivering 47 horsepower and 43 Nm (30.1 pound-feet) of torque"

Top Bottom