Honda Quality Control

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
What's up with Honda's quality control lately?
The parts they are buying from vendors all seem to be of poor quality, or defective.
The Honda CRV and several other models of automobiles have recalls on the Fuel pump because the "Fuel" is damaging the plastic used and causing them to warp and damage stuff...
The Water pumps on the Honda CB500X model dual sports have had over a dozen recalls on their water pumps for the same reasons...
Now the Honda Goldwing's are having a recall on their water pumps.
They used to use metal, good quality fuel pumps, now everything is cheap, throw away plastic, that will wear out before they are even recalled.
Pretty sad state of affairs for Honda.
I never thought I'd see a time when Honda was listed as 2nd or 3rd in quality control behind Yamaha.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yep outsourcing is probably the culprit. Bought a oem headlight bulb for my bike a few years ago and said made in Brazil.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I am in charge of buying literally tens of millions of dollars of equipment for various processes in our vacuum cooling plants and company owned facilities. We buy large ammonia screw compressors up to 500hp, 100hp plus vacuum pumps, electric motors, air compressors, pumps and precision valves and evaporative coolers and condensing systems of different types. All of the companies we buy this equipment from have been in business for decades and have been known to produce quality equipment.

Since Covid and supply chain disruptions, we have seen a huge uptick in defective parts, quality control issues, huge cost increases and dramatic increases in delivery times. With the push to get the supply lines resupplied a lot of corners are being cut as well as issues finding quality employees as well as having enough people to go through the previous regular QC checks in manufacturing. It seems to be affecting just about every manufacturer. We buy many large vacuum pumps from Switzerland and the company is known for its precision and quality. Over the last two years we purchase twelve large systems that cost about 2.5 million dollars and have had quality issues causing major failures on five of the twelve units. All the failures were due to material issues, assembly issues and quality checks during manufacture. I am sure Honda is not immune to this as so many parts are outsourced to other companies.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yep outsourcing is probably the culprit.
Outsourcing is not the problem. Apple's phones have been made in China and other s.e. Asian countries for years. But Apple has their own QC people in the plants, and they demand and get excellence.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Some of our vendor supplied parts for the product I work on have always had issues. Upper management's excuse is not all vendors are qualified but we need the stuff. We offloaded painting of the product and it may have been better to get the kindergarten art class instead.

Bike
2010 ST1300
China and S Korea build an important piece of our product. They work to the same drawing and specification but their parts are not able to be installed together.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Outsourcing is not the problem. Apple's phones have been made in China and other s.e. Asian countries for years. But Apple has their own QC people in the plants, and they demand and get excellence.
It's an old problem that has been going on for years. The bean counters of these corporations put out bids and take the lowest cheap bid. Profit over quality is the result. As you said Apple has their own people in the plant "watching" I doubt Honda has people embedded in the light bulb company they contract with.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Like we say in the trades, is that if we installed the best, most could not afford to buy it. But, i am shocked to see honda cars have slipped to seventh place on the dependably list. I have a feeling the dealers are trying to make $$ on extended warranty’s.
i also am noticing that there r more final drive issues on bmw bikes before they hit 100,000 mi. Am i wrong?

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
This is the reason that Craftsman went under again. They built a factory in Texas? to build them on shore again, but failed to hire enough people, or machines, and the quality control went to crap.
They shut the factory down a year later, and started selling stuff from China again in Lowes and Ace Hardware.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
This is the reason that Craftsman went under again. They built a factory in Texas? to build them on shore again, but failed to hire enough people, or machines, and the quality control went to crap.
They shut the factory down a year later, and started selling stuff from China again in Lowes and Ace Hardware.
No the reason craftsman went under is the same reason dutch boy went under. Thwey got involved with sears and were chizeled down to making inferior products.
by the way, dutch boy was finally bought bt sherwin williams and is doing fine.
wht cant you buy a purdy paint brush at home depot? Because purdy wont work for free, which is the same decision craftsman and dutch boy should have made.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I spent a good part of my aviation career as a reliability engineer....looking for potential problems and solutions to 'surprises'. The surprise failures were all traceable to someone not following procedures...usually on outsourced parts but not always. And usually because some purchasing dips....stick directed a change to cheapen materials without consulting engineering, to assure his/her bonus.
Think I've mentioned some specific examples so I won't repeat myself. I won't even mention the current behavioral science failures...'whose morals?', 'whose ethics?', are enabling marginal personalities to actually obtain degrees and avoid significant repercussions in our legal systems.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
What's up with Honda's quality control lately?
Lately?
I notice this since '96...
Order fairing parts to find painting errors: tears, enclosures, tint variations, metal flake colors and sizes differ... (now even to be found on new motorcycles...)
Back in the day my (then brand new) '00 ST1100Y leaked coolant... over the thermostat housing stubs not being de-burred, the cast marks stood out >1mm... had to clean that up in the kitchen sink (the GF back then was not amused... ;) )
Wiring harness twisted, not clipped in, clips missing, not enough electrical tape wrapped, sleeving short, cables exposed...
Fairing bolts (or those holding the rotors) were previously made from very durable SS, now they soft, round out (or snap) easily and rust when you only look at them...

OTOH are they, at least the model years I'm dealing with, still superior quality over other rigs...

Sure, all those "snapped together instead use of screws" fairing assemblies have gotten worse...
ST1100 just great to work on, ST1300 still bearable, the NT700 unnerving at times, but an NC750X is a bloody nightmare to work on... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom