Hondaline Grips - Which grip glue?

Bumping because this is one of the top results for Hondaline heated grips adhesive on this site.

Honda Bond A is what the Hondaline instructions call for, but it's not available. From what I could find about it, it should be similar to Toyota black RTV. I applied quite a bit starting near the end of the bar and worked the grip over it, spinning it to spread the RTV. After 24 hours cure time, I took the bike on a test ride and the grip broke loose easily under maybe five pounds of rotational force.

After cleaning up the bar again, scrubbing it with 91% isopropyl alcohol and a red Scotchbrite pad, I sprayed quite a bit of 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive. Basically, I sprayed as much as I could without it dripping. I then worked the grip on, spread the adhesive around, pulled the grip most of the way off again, sprayed more adhesive on, and then slid and spun the grip into position. My goal was to at least partially fill the channels on the inside of the grip:
ST1300-LeftGripInsideView-1.JPG

I finished by putting a few Breeze hose clamps to make sure solid contact was being made in several places, and left it overnight. Breeze clamps have a smooth interior lining, so it's a lot harder to tear or mar rubber:
ST1300-LeftGripHoseClamps-1.JPG

I'm not going to tempt fate, but after a full cure it's definitely holding up against far more twisting force than the black RTV silicone did.

So, if you find yourself, like I did, with a slipping grip halfway through a tour, you can stop in at any big box store, pick up a can of 3M 90, and fix the problem overnight.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The narrow contact surfaces of thermal insulating channels on the LHS grip are always an issue...
ended up with a dedicated 2K handle grip cement... now it's rock solid... removal will be fun though...

Top Bottom