Hondaline heated grip not working

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Started my search today for my heated grip issue. I spent around 11/2 hours and was hopeful when I find a correction connection between 3 wires. I cut, stripped, and reconnected the wires....but still no heat. I'll have to find my meter before I go at it again to make sure there is power going to the grips:(

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
On the flip side, I did find out that my ST already has the quartet harness. The left over connectors look like they've been collecting crud for a looooong time.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Hueyf4i said:
I'll have to find my meter before I go at it again to make sure there is power going to the grips
You might want to disconnect the battery and check the wiring for and grips for continuity. Power to the grips is good. Power through the grips is even better.

Alternatively you could disconnect the ground side of the grips and check for voltage on either side of each grip to confirm continuity.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
On the flip side, I did find out that my ST already has the quartet harness. The left over connectors look like they've been collecting crud for a looooong time.
That crud might be a very important clue. Have a look at the fuse that supplies power to the Quartet Harness. This is Fuse 'F', in the main fusebox (it supplies power that is switched on when the ignition is turned on, referred to as 'terminal 15' power). Fuse 'J' also supplies power to the Quartet Harness, but it is continuous power (terminal 30 power), and because the heated grips do not function with the ignition off, it is unlikely that Fuse 'J' supplies them with power.

Unfortunately, the wiring diagram in the Honda service manual does not show the pinouts of the Quartet Harness - it only shows the connector that the Quartet Harness plugs into, which is labelled "Option". Fuse 'F' supplies terminal 15 power via the left-most wire track (on the wiring diagram, not the actual motorcycle!) leading to the "Option" connector on the wiring diagram. Fuse "J" supplies terminal 30 power via the second wire from the left.

Fuses F and J are the two fuses that run 'sideways' in the fuse block. In other words, there are 5 fuses in a row, and two others that are oriented 90° differently. You want to check those two.

Michael

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Well, my hunt for my heated grip failure has now turned into a coolant flush, thermostat replacement, and finally replacing my hose clamps. I saw the drip of coolant when I was warming up my ST today. I tightened the clamps up in August 2017,so I guess I'll do it right this time. Haven't done it yet, but I already have everything I need with the exception of the coolant.

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
That crud might be a very important clue. Have a look at the fuse that supplies power to the Quartet Harness. This is Fuse 'F', in the main fusebox (it supplies power that is switched on when the ignition is turned on, referred to as 'terminal 15' power). Fuse 'J' also supplies power to the Quartet Harness, but it is continuous power (terminal 30 power), and because the heated grips do not function with the ignition off, it is unlikely that Fuse 'J' supplies them with power.

Unfortunately, the wiring diagram in the Honda service manual does not show the pinouts of the Quartet Harness - it only shows the connector that the Quartet Harness plugs into, which is labelled "Option". Fuse 'F' supplies terminal 15 power via the left-most wire track (on the wiring diagram, not the actual motorcycle!) leading to the "Option" connector on the wiring diagram. Fuse "J" supplies terminal 30 power via the second wire from the left.

Fuses F and J are the two fuses that run 'sideways' in the fuse block. In other words, there are 5 fuses in a row, and two others that are oriented 90° differently. You want to check those two.

Michael
Checked all fuses, all wires. I only found one that was corroded slightly. I cut and re stripped the wires and connected with a bee connector. Still a no go. Guess the grips themselves must be dead.....

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Update....I finally put all of my plastic back on after I initially pulled it off to check out my heated grip issue. Never figured out what the issue was....but I tried then out yesterday just for the heck of it ...and now they work? So confusing.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Update....I finally put all of my plastic back on after I initially pulled it off to check out my heated grip issue. Never figured out what the issue was....but I tried then out yesterday just for the heck of it ...and now they work? So confusing.

Maybe you had a loose connection.

Top Bottom