Hoppo Hands for Cold Weather Riding

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
I'm going to take a trip to Goddard, Kansas next month weather permitting. Has anyone used Hippo Hands Handle Bar Mittens or any off brands? If so how well do they work. Recomendations welcome.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
If you can get them the Hippo hands work great. But I did also have a 3/16" aluminum hand shaped bar spanned from tip to tip that held the mitt out from the levers. They work good enough that I only used regular leather gloves in the mitts.

I used to live near Wichita, good luck on the weather next month in that area. Here is a pic of the added bar. I just zip tie at the middles and electric tape at the ends.

hands.jpg

Last edited:

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I have a set on my GS and can't say enough about them. I can't recall the exact temps, but I want to say they were good to mid-40s and rain with just heated grips and a decent pair of warm riding gloves. My riding buddy went the heated gloves route, but I didn't want another thing to fail or need charging.

I have found that it's easy to just leave the muffs in place for much of my touring because of the large temperature swings in the mountains. Easy enough to pull the HH if we're somewhere hot and I want the extra airflow.

If you're unsure whether to spend the cash, you can make your own. My HH order wasn't going to show up in time for a short tour last February, so I threw together a pair of muffs with mylar bubblewrap, zip ties and Gorilla tape. Sort of hillbilly, but a lot better than cold wet hands and it made me confident the cost would be worth buying the real thing.

muff2.jpg

muff1.jpg

Bike
R1200rt
Maybe some studded snow tires as well. Weather forecasts and reality are two different things.

OP
OP
Stylo Steve
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
I have a set on my GS and can't say enough about them. I can't recall the exact temps, but I want to say they were good to mid-40s and rain with just heated grips and a decent pair of warm riding gloves. My riding buddy went the heated gloves route, but I didn't want another thing to fail or need charging.

I have found that it's easy to just leave the muffs in place for much of my touring because of the large temperature swings in the mountains. Easy enough to pull the HH if we're somewhere hot and I want the extra airflow.

If you're unsure whether to spend the cash, you can make your own. My HH order wasn't going to show up in time for a short tour last February, so I threw together a pair of muffs with mylar bubblewrap, zip ties and Gorilla tape. Sort of hillbilly, but a lot better than cold wet hands and it made me confident the cost would be worth buying the real thing.

muff2.jpg

muff1.jpg
Thank you for the information Sir. I'll order a set before the end of the day.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Thank you for the information Sir. I'll order a set before the end of the day.
I think I got the middle version. I considered the enclosed model, but I doubt you'd need that for any weather you'd actually ride in unless it's a snowmobile. And it's easier (I'd guess) to get your hands in/our and to work controls when you can mostly see them.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Although not always the Hippo Brand I have used muffs in the winter on all my bike going back to 1981 and the original Hippo Hands,

with Oxford heated grips set on 50% I can wear thin deerskin gloves (or no gloves but the grips would be too hot to hold on to.) down to below zero F

I'm currently running Kemimoto Muffs on my NC750 with Oxford heated grips.

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I tried the Hippo Hands that were available for new back in 2007 but they were garbage compared to the version that had been out for years before that. Now they're back to being a really good handlebar muff again.

I currently use Kemimoto muffs same as the Ferret. I wear my TM Mid-Tex gloves in them without the heated grips turned on down to possibly just below freezing. Then I turn on the grip heat on low and my hands are warm in the muffs down to between 5F-10F. I turn the grip heat up to medium for temps down below zeroF. Unless the temps are lower than -5F my hands start to get a bit too warm at that point.
100_4448.JPG

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I looked at Hippo Hands back in 2007??? Pricey. I found some made for Ducks Unlimited and for a snowmobile. Worked great. $25.

The key is stopping any air from coming inside. I taped the front openings to the handlebars with black duct tape. Without that, they did no good. The cold air came in so quick it was like they weren't there.

Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
I started using handlebar muffs last year and it's a night and day difference. The 2 different pair I bought would not fit over my hand guards so I took them to a local shop and had a seam replaced with Velcro. Problem solved.

OP
OP
Stylo Steve
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
The best are made by a company called Watershed. They are 100% waterproof and windproof. BUT, they are pricey. But they are THE BEST.
I just checked those out and Whew! a but on the high end of the spectrum $$$. I bet they are bad to the bone though.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have a pair and my hands stay warm and dry with a non-insulated summer glove. However yes, they are very expensive and I did not have to pay for mine.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
A week or two ago I went out with starting temps around 30F. Had medium weight gloves and heated grips, not uncomfortable. Yesterday started the same, I could not get my hands warm, put liners in on first gas stop, no love. I have the Oxford bar muffs, pretty sure they are going on the next cold day out. In the past they have been great, I missed them yesterday.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I ride all year round in the PNW. My threshold is any temps below 35 or so, or if theres snow or ice on the roadways. Last year I experimented with a waterproof insulated rubber glove I got at a commercial fishing shop. They're used by commercial fisherman in the winter. Totally waterproof and windproof. My hands stayed dry, but still got cold.

I got some Watershed hippohands from some co-workers of mine and I tried them this winter. My hands stay dry and warm. No wind or water hits the hands. This is the best solution for cold weather riding. Even if you don't get Watershed hippohands, something with a similar design would be better than waterproof gloves and heaters. I'll never go without hippohand style covers for my hands. You could get a set of covers that are much cheaper, and use a DWR repellant like nikwax or grangers. This is the best to keep your hands warm. It was 33 degrees this morning and I rode in to work since the roads were dry around my house. 30 miles each way to work and my hands were warm.

Top Bottom