Hot asphalt got me!

Bike
2003 ST1300
Had my first tipover Monday.
Stopped at a rest stop and parked her on the center stand, got halfway to the restroom and heard a thud, looked back and my ST is on her side. It appeared that one side of the center stand sank faster than the other. I always parked my Goldwings on the centerstand and the worst they ever did was sink till the tires were touching the ground!
Anyways, end result was a broken right mirror, and a big chunk of paint chipped off the plastic mirror housing.
I'm soooo happy that so little damage was done!!!!!
Never trust asphalt on a very, very hot sunny day!

DAS

STOC #
Where did you find AC that hot. We haven't hit 70 here yet. Glad the tip over wings kept you from having a really bad day.

OP
OP
ichiman
Bike
2003 ST1300
It was 92 on Monday when I went for a 9 hour ride thru Southern Ohio. It was almost too hot to be riding anything. For the last 2 months we have had nothing but rain, rain & more rain. Some roads are still closed because of high water.

Bike
'09 ST1300A
It was 90 here also. I never would have given it a thought that I needed to start using my kickstand puck again. Sorry about your mirror but thanks for the reminder.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Mid to upper 90s in the DC area yesterday and today. We've gone from chilly, rainy spring weather to summer with almost nothing in between.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Same up in ME, NH & VT where I was riding. Temp hit 89? and it was humid. I had to douse my shirt and dew rag with cold water a couple of times during my 550 mile ride. It was still 76? when I got home at 8pm. It's time for a cooling vest or something. We've gotta keep very hydrated riding in weather like that! Also watch out for those tar snakes in hot weather (and rain).

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Sidestand for me on hot days. Most of the weight remains on the tires some of it goes to the sidestand. When you go to the center stand you have probably 70-80% of the weight on those 2 little points. Much more likely to sink in. Glad your damage was not worse.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Sidestand for me on hot days. Most of the weight remains on the tires some of it goes to the sidestand. When you go to the center stand you have probably 70-80% of the weight on those 2 little points. Much more likely to sink in. Glad your damage was not worse.
+1 and more stable in general. If you don't have one of the promo handout side stand plates a blank utility box cover from the hardware store electrical dept is a cheap solution. Stub of a ty-rap or sump'n thru the screw hole makes it easier to pick up.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
On my previous bike , a miserable BMW R1200RT, I designed an 1/8" aluminum plate that I attached with flat-head bolts to the bottom of the side kickstand , I didn't have to remember a loose plate , twice, on hot days . You shape it to clear bike parts when retracted. This is another item I need to do next winter for the ST I just bought .

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Never trust asphalt on a very, very hot sunny day!
Put one of these on your sidestand. Works for me. It's about halfway down on the forth page and looks like a duck's foot. I'been using one for five years with no problem. Called a kickstand sandal.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Yeah, the bike will generally fall to the right from the centerstand as the left leg has the foot deployment lever on it that slows its "sinkage" rate, sending the bike over to the right. Ya can't win, I've had them fall to the left off of the side stand too!

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I try to park against a curb and put the side stand on the concrete in really hot weather. Although I usually use the CS and haven't had it sink yet!

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Carry a crushed can in your left side pocket. My current side stand platform is a very flat creamed corn can. It works well but if I forget it somewhere its easy to come up with a replacement - perhaps not creamed corn tho ;-)

Top Bottom