How bad is the heat problem - for a Las Vegas summer?

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Been riding in the Desert SW for a number of years now, but I'm no expert. Only time I'm truly bothered by heat is when I'm in city traffic. I have never had a bike overheat. I owned a few of those 'Merican bikes too.

Here's what I've learned:
If you're thirsty, it's too late. You're dehydrated. Gatorade/water is your friend.
:yes:

Leave helmet on seat when parked in sun. Saves on "yarble" burns.
Nope, nyet, nichts. I find putting my head into an enclosed oven to be "a might bit unpleasant sir." Take your helmet in with you, into the cool. Leave a towel or something else on the seat of necessary.

Park in any shade you can find.
105f at 80mph is still 105f.
Sunscreen should never be applied above your eyes. Wear a hat or a helmet instead.
YMMV
:yes:

Tailgunner

R.I.P. - 2012/05/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Good point about the helmet. Up until this ST I always used a short helmet. I stand corrected.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
In the summer I leave a T-Shirt over the seat ALL THE TIME. I tuck it into the position mechanism so it doesn't blow away.

I also go back to my 1/2 helmet. Hot is hot and you have to ride how you are comfortable.

This is also a good time to plug the Bata Motor Sandals .... made for Motor Bikers

Ripshod

Prym8 on 2 wheels
I have limited experience with riding in the desert heat. We have a whole different kind of hot to deal with down here in the southeast but I did take a couple of steps which cooled me off a bit.

I'm not a tall guy. Short arms and short legs. I liked the height of the stock bars on the 1300 much more than that of the 1100. I liked it enough that I really wanted to avoid using risers but the grips were a bit too far away. I had to keep my boys nestled in tight to the tank. Since I had the seat in the lowest position, causing the huge gap between the tank and seat, I was getting roasted in a place where I don't want it.

I finally relented and got some MCL risers. Not to raise the bars so much as move them back. It made a world of difference for me. Not only did it move my jewels off the tank, but it also made it possible to move the front of the seat up to the middle position, closing the gap somewhat.

Other than that, yeah, hot is hot and having that wonderful engine doing what it does best between your legs surely won't do anything to help matters. Drink lots of water and keep grinning.

cworley5150

V-4 Convert
Riding with the seat in the highest position seems cooler to me. It puts me farther back from the tank and my shins away from the fairing where the heat seems to seep out. What little heat does come out on my ankles and shins is not a problem. I generally ride with my toes up on the pegs most of the time or even with my feet on the passenger pegs once in a while for a different position. I get no heat at all up around the tank. Only a little on my shins.

I should add that I am 6'3" with long arms so the seat is best in the highest position for me. I generally ride in full mesh gear and high boots that fully cover my shins. There is no heat issue on my bike for me. Now, I have a friend with an FJR and it is like riding in an easy bake oven on that bike.

cworley5150

V-4 Convert
In the summer I leave a T-Shirt over the seat ALL THE TIME. I tuck it into the position mechanism so it doesn't blow away.

This is also a good time to plug the Bata Motor Sandals .... made for Motor Bikers
[IMG] albumid=10&pictureid=4373
Is this a joke? If so, :bow1: If not, :eek:

the bike is not the issue. If you wear pants (I have the BMW summer pants) and a jacket (I have a mexh) you won't even notice the heat from the bike.

If you've lived in the desert long enough you know that to stay cool you cover everything up.

Top Bottom