how best to smooth chips in chrome fork stanchions ?

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
On some resto projects I've done I didn't have any luck with super glue. It just came right out again. Best thing I've found is JB-weld. Hard enough to stick. Soft enough to wet sand smooth. Just don't overdo the sanding.

Hi Larry, sorry I was just relating what i found works best and wasn't referring to your post, I'd tried both types of blade and what we call here in the UK, a Stanley knife blade as per your photo worked better. My post was a bit garbled at the end as well as it sounds like I was saying that you somehow degrease the superglue rather than the pitting. I used Locktite superglue glue on both bikes with good results.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Something I have always done on un-gaitered exposed fork tubes is to wipe them down after washing the bike. Once to dry the water off. Another with a shop cloth dampened with WD40....buff until all water marks are gone. It's a chore on the ST's but I can wipe them from triple clamp to seal. This is preventative only. Once pits and scratches appear, light cases can be saved by several of the methods mentioned above. At some point seal abrasion will accelerate and only replacement/resurfacing will help.

Top Bottom