How compatible are (non-ignition) lock cylinders?

I did some searching and didn't find much addressing the subject.

Let's say I order a replacement lock cylinder for my ST1300's locking cowl pocket or saddlebag. Will my current ignition key open that new lock cylinder? I think I've seen reference to people cutting down a spare key for opening the saddlebags, so are the secondary lock cylinders partially keyed? Are they completely incompatible, requiring you to carry an additional key for every lock cylinder you replace?

CowlPocket-FuelTank-Saddlebags.png

For any future searchers, here are the part numbers in question:
Cowl pocket lock: 77233-MBL-611
Fuel cap with lock: 17620-MAS-E03
Saddlebag lock cylinder: 77227-MCS-G00

Bike
2005 st1300
You would have to get your new lock cylinder "keyed" to your existing key, in order to be able to do what your asking. Re-keying a lock isnt hard, but with the cylinders on our bike, the cap is stamped on, so it is not reusable, if you can get it off, which is necessary to rekey it. Most able locksmiths should be able to do this. I had one rekeyed and i believe it cost around 10 bucks

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think the biggest problem will be finding a locksmith who is willing and able to do the work. Around here, most of the old guys have retired and their mom n pop shops closed. We now have a number of 'locksmiths' who drive around in outfitted vans. They do the easy stuff, rekey standard lock cylinders for homes and businesses, open cars with keys locked inside, etc. Ask them for a job that might require one of the $2 to $8,000 micrometer key milling machines and you are out of luck. There IS a super locksmith on the far side of town from me that does everything and has several skilled smiths, but the number of local shops has dwindled.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
IIRC is there always like a "Type 1" and a "Type 2" which refers to the profile of the key; otherwise you'll can't even insert the key into the barrel (regardless of the cut)

Top Bottom