Jackets How difficult to clean a White or W/B jacket?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Considering the outside possibility of getting a White and Black jacket to replace my current all black jacket. My ride is white as is my current helmet.
White is considered a good visibility following Hi-Viz. Some safety organizations consider white to be better than simply yellow. All jackets I am considering have retro-reflective stripes.
I am actually leaning more toward Hi-Viz but the model jacket I like (TM Pivot) is getting hard to find in my size and is a discontinued model. The second choice (TM Intake Air 5.0) has some Hi-Viz but their White/Black model has more of the white than the Hi-Viz has of the Hi-Viz color.

I am expecting that this color would really get dingy fast and show more dirt than other colors (Correct me if wrong there?). Not so sure it would be all that different than Hi-Viz panels though. I know that most jackets with Hi-Viz panels do fade, at least the Hi-Viz parts, after a little time.
But wondering for those who have a jacket of this color... How hard is it to clean and how do you go about it?

Thanks in advance.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I have never encountered any problems just throwing my non-leather motorcycle clothing into the washing machine on the regular cycle, then hanging it up to dry. I don't think you should be particularly concerned about getting a jacket with white trim.

Michael

Bike
VStrom 650
+1 Michael. One of my Hein Gericke jackets has very light grey areas, after 10 years and around 40,000 miles it washes up just fine and dandy.
Try NikWax twin pack for washing, soap and a reproof. Not expensive in the UK at about £8.00 for the two and they'll do around 5 washes I would have thought.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
All the jackets I am considering are not waterproof nor water resistant. They do have rain liners that can be optionally removed which I've always, in the past jackets I've worn with the same, used more as *wind* liners and I prefer to use Frogg Toggs for rain protection. Has worked well for me that way and keeps the shell of the jackets dryer and more comfortable. But cleaning a white jacket is my only concern here. Sounds like no concern over any other color. Even my all black jackets that I've worn now and previously have become slightly grayed over time. I've heard from others with Hi-Viz jackets who say the Hi-Viz bits start to fade over time so wondered about the white bits on a White/Black jacket.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I find my hi-vis has faded some over time...but it is still very bright. I used to wash my gear by hand, but now I take out the armor and use the washing machine.

I've been using the normal washing machine soap along with OxiClean. When dry, I use something like Kiwi Camp Dry waterproofing spray. If you are old enough to qualify for a senior discount, on the first Tuesday of the month, you get 10% off purchases at Fred Meyer.

The waterproofing spray is beneficial to use even if your clothing has an interior waterproof liner. It'll keep the jacket/pants from getting soaked like a sponge, and taking forever to dry later.

I learned something from the Zerorez carpet cleaning people that applies here. The dark areas on your carpet are caused by left over soap in the carpet. The soap is designed to grab onto dirt, and even after it is dry it will still be collecting dirt. The same thing applies in washing your riding gear. So I run my gear through two rinse cycles at least to get all the soap out. It has done a lot to eliminate the black areas on the hi-vis material.

Chris

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
rjs987 said:
All the jackets I am considering are not waterproof nor water resistant. They do have rain liners that can be optionally removed which I've always, in the past jackets I've worn with the same, used more as *wind* liners
Same here.

rjs987 said:
I prefer to use Frogg Toggs for rain protection.
I prefer to stay out of the rain. That is while I've prepared for it I've also told my riding buddies to be prepared for me saying 'Y'all gwan ahead without me. I'll stay at the hotel 'till it stops'.

A bunch of us (21 bikes) went on an RTE and got soaked but it was good clean fun. Then for 2yrs I had to ride only my bike (GL1000) in our 'winter's' pouring rain - the worst my area had in a decade or two. I hated it. STILL hate riding in the rain. So I do my very best to stay out of it.

Hats off to those who gear up and head out. Me I'll have some hot chocolate watch TV or do a crossword or two.

Bike
VStrom 650
Same here.

I prefer to stay out of the rain. That is while I've prepared for it I've also told my riding buddies to be prepared for me saying 'Y'all gwan ahead without me. I'll stay at the hotel 'till it stops'.

A bunch of us (21 bikes) went on an RTE and got soaked but it was good clean fun. Then for 2yrs I had to ride only my bike (GL1000) in our 'winter's' pouring rain - the worst my area had in a decade or two. I hated it. STILL hate riding in the rain. So I do my very best to stay out of it.

Hats off to those who gear up and head out. Me I'll have some hot chocolate watch TV or do a crossword or two.
According to Albert Hammond, "it never rains in southern California".
Upt'North.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I don't have white, but do use a light grey/silver textile mesh jacket. The last time I cleaned it I hung it in the back yard and sprayed with Awesome cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes. Rubbed or lightly scrubbed the dirtier spots. Rinsed off with the hose and left hanging in the sun to dry. Didn't even take the pads out. Will do the same next time as it was easy and worked great.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have looked at some jackets with gray/silver colors and the silver looks almost white. Would expect the same wear and color fastness from it. Thanks all, looks like nothing to be concerned about as far as light colors vs. dark.

Since the base mesh part of my current jacket is still good (other than the collar), as is the insulated liner, I am thinking of waiting on the spring sales to replace it. But will be watching prices from now until then.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
My washing process with a top loading machine is to use a dishwasher wetting agent ( + detergent of course ) in the wash cycle to cut surface tension and ensure the jacket gets properly wetted. I leave the lid up so the unit does not advance to a spin / rinse cycle and I repeat the wash cycle 2 or 3 times, then do a double rinse. Textile hi vis jacket comes out looking virtually new.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
All the jackets I am considering are not waterproof nor water resistant.
You still should consider waterproofing them with NikWax, as a soaking wet textile will not only drip all over the place (restaurant, lobby, reception, hotel room) and take forever to dry (nasty to climb into still damp, dripping gear in the morning), it will also feel very heavy plus clogg/obstruct any breathable function of the rain-liners underneath.

Any light/bright colour will dirty up over time/miles on the road...
Soil, ground pepple, brake pad dust, abrased rubber, diesel-sooth, oil/fuel spills, down to manure from farm activities...
We're out there to be and feel exposed to the elements...
So have no illusions on keeping your white stitches free of staines :cool:

OTOH does a shiny, new suit always tag one as newbe, nice weather cruiser, wimp, candy-ass, women understander, etc... thus causing an uncomfortable number of raised eyebrows in any biker-pub ;)

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just an update.
I did get a good price through "Buy on Google" for a Tourmaster Pivot jacket in Hi-Viz. Decided I liked the idea of the Hi-Viz more than trying to match with my Burgman 650. Besides, now there is significant contrast with having white and black and Hi-Viz all in one place when I ride.

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 3.11.18 PM.png

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's a solid shell jacket that opens up in a big way without actually removing any layers... unlike my Flex jacket. Much better than only having several vents.
1/3 of the front opens to become mesh with the cover panel folding down inside the jacket. Almost all of the back does the same. And there are bicep vents, which I like better than shoulder vents, so that my arms get some airflow in hot weather. It also has full sleeve wind/rain and separate thermal liners that can be used together or separately.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I find my hi-vis has faded some over time...
Hi Chris:

I think that's from sunlight, not from washing. I have a Schuberth helmet that is high-viz yellow, and the top of it is quite faded. I've never put the helmet in the washing machine... it won't fit through the hole in the top of the washer because the agitator is in the way. :)

Michael

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would concur with that assessment. Sunlight will fade any color. My previous helmet had some Hi-Viz on it and only the top 2/3 of that was faded from sun. The bottom edge was still almost like new. This was after 5-1/2 years on that helmet. Now my helmet is white since I figured that's the color my previous helmet was becoming anyway and White is considered very good passive visibility, second only to bright green (not counting Hi-Viz which is better as an active color).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
1/3 of the front opens to become mesh with the cover panel folding down inside the jacket.
Ok I'm sold. I've got a Tourmaster Something mesh jacket that's very cool in cool weather and a little warm in warmer weather. Swapping the rain liner in and out is a drag so it's left out and wear my WnS liner with it in cool weather. I like that the Pivot can be converted to a semi-mesh jacket.

Not a big fan of lime and much prefer yellow to match my helmet but lime is close enough and it is a nice looking jacket. Amazon had it for $155. With some gift card left over it was just $138.

Top Bottom