How do I replace garnish under windshield

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I noticed the so called garnish had popped up on the left side facing the bike. I tried to pop it in and heard one of the tabs break.

I've bought a new garnish (and pushpin) and have no idea how to take the old one put and install the new one. The diagrams show the top is screwed in, but I don't know how to access the screws. Before I broke anything else I thought I should ask here.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
You will need to remove the windshield. (5 screws) you should now have access to the 2 screws on the top of each side of the garnish. You will need a flat blade to pry the pin at the bottom centre. Slide the garnish upwards. Keep the old garnish and you can modify it as per the link provided by DeanR. Many of us have replaced the push Pin with a screw and clip fastener.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, those pesky tabs tend to break off over time (mine busted on one of my ST1100s up in Alaska when I hit a pothole at speed). Like they said, remove the windshield (5 screws - I remove the two side screws on each side then the center one so I can catch the windshield). There are two screws for the garnish - one on each side at the top and you slide it up and out. The 'mod' is quite easy to use the old one - just have to be careful about drilling the two holes.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I got the old garnish off, and while fitting the new one, I noticed that the rubber nut that the windshield screws into was not included with the new garnish. I popped the old ones out without trouble, but what is the trick to installing them in the new garnish?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Insert the well nut from the front. It's possible the brass insert has compressed the rubber too much, in which case you're best to replace it. Most motorcycle shops sell replacements. Package of 10 for under $10. Then replace the other 4 and your good to go.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The fiche show them coming in from the 'outside'. It's got to be a snug fit or else they would turn when you put the windshield screw in. Maybe put the grommets in the freezer for an hour and the garnish under a spot light to warm it up.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
"It's possible the brass insert has compressed the rubber too much, in which case you're best to replace it. Most motorcycle shops sell replacements."

This is it. I had an extra set from the Clearview that I saved. Slid right in. Wheww! The ones that came out had a big hump in it preventing reinsertion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Thanks for everyones help. I couldn't own an older bike without help from a forum like this.

I'm thinking my barn door Clearview might be too much for the front end assembly. Originally I had a stock shield with a Laminar Lip, but when i got the Russell it was too short. I have a MRA X-Screen I may try on the stock windshield if the garnish tab pops out again. I don't think I could modify it with well nuts. Would self tapping sheet metal screws work?

For those replacing the garnish, order new windshield nuts at the same time.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
If you replace the plastic plug screw at the bottom centre of the garnish with a clip and screw hat solves the issue of the garnish popping out with a larger screen. Drilling the two holes for the well nuts as mentioned in the link at the beginning of the thread is very easy to do.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
+1 on replacing the plastic plug with a 5mm nut clip and shortened 'truss screw' (windshield screw, plus other places). BTDT

The trick to removing the garnish without breaking the hook tabs is to grasp the top rear corners and bend them slightly outward to clear the indents, then slide the garnish rearward until the tabs clear their slots. Once you've got broken tabs though, installing well-nuts is a simple fix.

John [186K with intact garnish]
via iPhone 6

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I found a nylon screw in rivet that fit in the push pin hole. The plastic screw wouldn't do anything, so I used a metal screw. If it fails, I'll do the clip and screw.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I was trying to use a speed nut. I've got a 6mm extruded u nut that will work, but I'm going to have to drill the holes a little bit. Can't find a 5.

Top Bottom