How do you check if ABS works?

Bike
'04 ST1300 ABS
So I had my 1st near miss on my new '04 ST1300 ABS :04biker:

I had 2 lanes, 1 turning right which was stopped & the other turning left (which I was in) with no cars. I was tipping along about 30mph when a car in the other lane decides to jump into the empty lane at 90 degrees to me without looking. I pulled the brakes hard & I am not used to ABS so I usually try progressive breaking (but fast). Thankfully I managed to stop about 2 feet from the bonnet of her car. I could swear that at the last couple of feet I was on the brakes as hard as I could & it felt like the bike skidded the last bit. I did not hear any skid but I did not feel any ABS either.

Anyway my question is, is there any way to check if the ABS is actually working? Without just hitting them as hard as possible while driving. When I start the bike the ABS light comes on for a couple of seconds & then goes off. So I would have thought that there is no problem there. If the rear wheel locked up & not the front would you feel the ABS?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The ABS will self-check every time you ride. It will go on when the bike starts then, as the bike moves forward, will go out.

Honda does an incredible job on their MC ABS systems. It's very rare to actually feel it working on pavement. In dirt/gravel, you can activate and feel it more but the indicator light should be all the 'check' you need.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Do about 60 mph, grab a bunch of brake, if the front wheel locks and you fall down, the abs did not work, If you don't fall down, then it must of worked.:D;)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I steeled my nerves and tried the ABS when I first got lipSTick. Back was not hard to do as I've slid the back wheel on my old Schwinn a million times. No problems there, the rear tar did not slide, just stopped the bike.

The front? It's hard to do on purpose the first time. But I did it. Anti-climatic. Again, she just stopped. Now, I can hammer the front with confidence. Takes a little practice but I've never slid the front tar on this bike...

...with one exception:
IMG_1430 (900x1200).jpg

Took this pic on the way home from ONSTOC in September, 2010. Recall I'd broken the back wheel in a minor accident and was running a non-ABS back wheel so ABS was disabled. Came on an unexpected right intersection, hammered the front brake and SLID the front wheel A LOT!!!! From about 60 MPH to about 30 before the tire started to slide out to the left. Saved it but just barely. :22yikes:

I'll take ABS every time from now on. :D

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I'm guessing what you thought was skidding, was the ABS working. It gives you kind of a jerk type feeling.
You could finda gravel road and to in a straight line, then forcefully step on the foot brake and get the ABS to work.
Or you could do like I did, and hose down the street in front of the house, and do about 40mph, then stomp on both brakes! ABS works very well on these bikes. Note: The only problem with the wet street in front of your house method is, while I was making several runs throught it, my neighbor, on his Harley was watching and decided to show me that his bike could stop on the wet street too :scared2: The only damage was his crash bars, grips, a mirror, and his :butt1: less chaps!
He does not try and copy what I do anymore.

OP
OP
Bike
'04 ST1300 ABS
hammered the front brake and SLID the front wheel A LOT!!!!
Fair play keeping her upright after that skid.

I'm guessing what you thought was skidding, was the ABS working. It gives you kind of a jerk type feeling.
I could have been mistaked as I was not going that fast at the end. I definately didn't feel any jerking though. I know what it is like in a cage but a first on a bike.

Or you could do like I did, and hose down the street in front of the house, and do about 40mph, then stomp on both brakes! ABS works very well on these bikes. Note: The only problem with the wet street in front of your house method is, while I was making several runs throught it, my neighbor, on his Harley was watching and decided to show me that his bike could stop on the wet street too The only damage was his crash bars, grips, a mirror, and his less chaps!
I would sar that his face was as red as his arse after that :)

Do about 60 mph, grab a bunch of brake, if the front wheel locks and you fall down, the abs did not work, If you don't fall down, then it must of worked.
Eh, thanks for advice. Maybe I will try a bit of grass 1st, softer landing & all that. My fear about grabing too much front is doing a stoppie or worse wipeing out. Think I will try the back 1st. Thanks

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Fair play keeping her upright after that skid.
More luck than anything else. It takes some time to LET GO!!!!! once the skid starts. :D

Agree about the grass, and the rear brake. You won't feel the pulse like in a car, or the earl BMW bikes. They've become much more sophisticated.

Be sure 'n poST yur results.

BTW, if the back works as expected, you can be much more confident of the front as they use many of the same circuits to DECIDE to operate.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I just re-read your post again. That "felt like it skidded the last bit" part....that was probably your ABS kicking in....thats what it feels like.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
gchamp, glad you had the ABS! It sure sounds like it worked...it pulses so fast that the feedback through the levers is pretty subtle.

...Anyway my question is, is there any way to check if the ABS is actually working?...
Step 1: Find an iced over lake... ;-)

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
Grab a handful of brake and hang on for dear life!

That is what I have done a couple of times.

I was WAY overconfident in my ABS brakes when I first got the bike, but now I just know they are there when I need 'em.

When I get in a tight situation, I first think...DON'T LOCK THE BRAKES...then in a split second I realize...I CAN'T lock the brakes, so I give them all the squeeze I can get.

Bike
ST1300P
Do check it, then build up confidence in applying a lot of brakeforce. When I did the motorcycle course at work, I was already used to riding with ABS. My partner had never ridden an ABS bike before.
At the second day of training we practiced emergency stops. Starting at 30mph, up to 100mph.

The first couple of times my partner took 25 yards more to bring the bike to a stop, as he was unwilling to brake as hard as the bike could..

Ascertain it works, then try and see how hard you can brake that beast :)

regards, Dani

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Top Bottom