How far will it go?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thinking about the 1300-1500 miles I will likely see going to FerrySTOC and back and if I should change my front tire now or wait until just after.
How far do you think this rubber will last? This is with just over 6500 miles on it. The previous tire was replaced at 6670 miles but was more worn than this one (wear bars were about even with the tread on that one).
PXL_20240426_151138445.jpg

Here's the new tire just for comparison ready and waiting to be put on.
PXL_20240426_150647894.jpg

Seems there would be enough tread left on the current tire to make it there and back... though I wonder if it would end up with being worn just barely below the wear bars but still have tread grooves showing. I ride mostly touring style so the center gets the majority of wear as you can tell here. I kind of hate to waste this much tread so if I do replace it now I'll likely keep it around to use again just in case...

Edit: BTW- I am NOT thinking of riding with the tread worn past the wear bars. Normally I prefer to wear the tire until the tread is even with one of the wear bars.

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'd likely replace it, just to be on the doubly safe side.

1. in case the treadwear takes a fast nosedive into racing slick territory.
2. as the treadwear decreases, so does it's ability to disperse any rain you run might into.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was actually thinking of going that way. I just hate to take a tire with this much tread left out of service so it will stay in the garage just in case I need it in some tire emergency.
If not for the trip coming up I'd run with it for a while longer.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I was actually thinking of going that way. I just hate to take a tire with this much tread left out of service so it will stay in the garage just in case I need it in some tire emergency.
And going on a trip on new rubber feels so good!

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I was hitting the same thing over and over. I would figuredI had another 2000 miles left on the tires and had a 2500-3000 mile trip ahead of me. Tire life is so short anyway, to take them off when worn 80% or so, just seemed like a waste. A friend suggested buying a second set of wheels. It solved the problem. I always had rubber for touring, and I'd put the tires with the most wear, like yours are now, on for local use and ride on them till they needed to be changed.

Chris

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
The last ArkanSTOC I attended involved some one who shipped a new tire to the campground and did the tire change there. I AM, after all, pulling my trailer. Just more stuff to pack.

edit: Just checked. The tire doesn't fit inside the trailer so I'd have to strap it on the back seat and just put the tools in the trailer. Not a biggie since nothing is going on the back seat anyway.
I think I'll just get it done here and not worry about it.

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST1300
Since you are carrying the new tire with you. I would Squeeze out that every last bit of rubber. You should be fine with this tire even for the ride back.:thumb:

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Rain’s treacherous regardless of tyre condition. I try to avoid it on streets as much as possible. On other hand, I absolutely love rain races!! Most fun I’ve ever had on bike!! :)

Another 1300-1500 out of those tyres will be easy. Won’t even touch wear bars by time you’re done. Yeah, avoid rain.

Bike
R1200rt
put more weight in the trailer and keep the wheel off the ground :rofl1: Tire looks good just avoid hard braking on the front if you can, that wears the tire more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Too uncertain for wear based on the previous tire. Took the wheel off and are changing it now.
PXL_20240426_210822238.jpg

Add some weight on the tail of the bike since the front of the lift is only a little ahead of the balance point with the front tire still attached. The lift has to be there to avoid the plastic bottom shield just in front of it. The scissors jacks are there just for extra insurance while the wheel is out. These 15 inch tires are a real BEAR to get off... AND to get on IIRC. At least the rear 15 inch tire was hard going both ways (off/on). That's the old tire shown. The new tire is in the house with the hair dryer pointed into it to warm up before attempting to wedge on the rim. I'll be adding 1 oz of balance beads to the tire. I have to add them into the tire before seating the bead since the TPMS is part of the valve stem and balance beads don't flow through it. Did that with the rear tire when I changed that last year. Just have to be careful not to spill them out until the bead is set on the rim.

Reactions: Obo
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
How many miles do you get on a set of tires, Robert? On my two Burgman 400s, I averaged 14-15,000 miles. But the saying YMMV definitely applies here.

Chris

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
The tire coming off has 6520 miles on it. I can see going to 7500 miles but don't want to get too close to done while on my trip. The rear tire does get another 2000 miles more than the front. These miles are typical for my CTX1300, Burgman 650, and now the AK 550. Yes definitely YMMV. Specific psi, weather conditions, road conditions, riding styles all play a part. There have been a few riders here on the ST forum who I remember stated getting less than 4000 miles on a tire. I used to get over 11,000 miles on a tire with my ST1100... over 16,000 miles on an Avon tire on the ST before the belts split but with lots of tread left. I would get over 20,000 miles on a Gold Wing rear tire.

@Larry Fine , The center stand on the AK 550 is a lot farther back than on any other bike I've owned. Makes it as easy to get up on the center stand as putting my wife's Metropolitan on its center stand.

Just looking at the tire tread in the picture, more time spent on the sides of the tire would make the center last longer. Just saying.
I have found that on trips that the time of the year and road condition matters a lot. Had a trip to Montana on the ST with tread that looked like yours and thought it would be fine. Temperature was in the 90s to 100 and the roads were being chip sealed as well as riding 2 up. Showed cord from Seattle to Butte run, chewed up fast.
There are just to many variables to say how far that tire will go, call ahead and see if they have a tire in stock about half way on your trip, then go. In hind sight I will do that on my trips from now on. I did not before and was lucky enough to find a tire at one shop and another that could put it on.
P.S. remember, the troubles on the road that you overcome make great stories and the trip will be never be forgotten

Bike
St1300PA
Thinking about the 1300-1500 miles I will likely see going to FerrySTOC and back and if I should change my front tire now or wait until just after.
How far do you think this rubber will last? This is with just over 6500 miles on it. The previous tire was replaced at 6670 miles but was more worn than this one (wear bars were about even with the tread on that one).
PXL_20240426_151138445.jpg

Here's the new tire just for comparison ready and waiting to be put on.
PXL_20240426_150647894.jpg

Seems there would be enough tread left on the current tire to make it there and back... though I wonder if it would end up with being worn just barely below the wear bars but still have tread grooves showing. I ride mostly touring style so the center gets the majority of wear as you can tell here. I kind of hate to waste this much tread so if I do replace it now I'll likely keep it around to use again just in case...

Edit: BTW- I am NOT thinking of riding with the tread worn past the wear bars. Normally I prefer to wear the tire until the tread is even with one of the wear bars.
Do the math the money you save by pushing a 200 dollar tire another 1500 miles isn’t worth it, you’ll be coming home on a tire that’s at the end of its life.

Top Bottom