How I pack for mc camping

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can't find it now but on one of the forums I read someone asked what I pack in each of the bags I strap on my AK 550 when I pack for camping/traveling. So here is that answer.

Attached below is the list of items that I make sure to pack. I do also pack a few smaller items not on the list that I always keep on the bike as well.

Now for pictures of what is where on the bike.
First, under the seat I pack food, cook and mess kit, extra tent pegs, rope, tools, mini air pump, tire plug kit, and other incidentals. I do cook some meals at the camp site (like oatmeal for breakfast and Orzo with chicken and Ramen in addition to sometimes a Mountain House meal) and eat out for other meals.
Under seat storage pack.jpg
And here is is all packed under the seat.
Storage box packed.jpg

This is what gets packed in the Big blue dry bag. Almost all of this stuff goes into the tent. Exceptions are the shoes, shower shoes/thongs and camp chair which will sit outside the tent. I never wear my shoes into the tent but sit in the tent with my feet outside the tent to take them off to keep dirt out of the tent.
Big blue dry bag for mostly inside tent.jpg
In that picture is a smaller blue bag where I put all the really small stuff and also the camp lights and mattress pad air pump and electrical stuff (charge packs and cables). Otherwise that stuff would be ALL OVER getting lost in the big blue dry bag.
small stuff bag for misc stuff.jpg

I have a long skinny 43L dry bag to hold my Nemo tent and all that goes with that, as well as tent poles to hold up the awning and my tent peg hammer (modified to prevent poking holes in the bags) and the tent foot print/ground cloth. Packing the tent in its own dry bag keeps everything else dry if it is raining when I set up the tent or tear it down to pack.
43L dry bag for tent.jpg

I then also have a 20L dry bag for the stuff I may need access to while riding along the way... like my rain suit, extra liners and gloves for when the weather changes, and also water and my first aid kit.
20L dry bag for extra gear.jpg

The document attached below also lists what I put in the glove boxes and what I wear while riding on my journey.

Attachments

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
The under seat storage box is shown in one of the pictures in the OP. Here is how the bike looks ready to ride on my last trip to LOCSTOC. I use ROK straps. This pack makes for a perfect back rest for a longer trip. In between the upper and lower layer is a foam pad I use for the tent entrance mat as well as it can be used for a knee pad if I do any work or checks on the bike on the road. This is what it will look like by Wednesday morning when I start the trip up to MNSTOC.
PXL_20230613_235406126.jpg
PXL_20230613_235715888.jpg

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
That pile is not as tall as it looks. The top of the top bag hits me lower on my back than a typical top case would be.

At least I don't include the kitchen sink or a rocking chair. But I do have a MSR fuel bottle in the middle.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
BTW @TPadden
BTDT a long time ago, but no one told me to move away from anywhere. Who knows how long we get to keep what we have anyway... Net worth, health, other possessions... it could all be gone in a moment.
And I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to Californy even if you paid me quadruple what the Mega Millions lotto prize is today so I won't be loading up the scooter and moving anywhere except to go camping for a long weekend in MN. :biggrin:

Top Bottom