How large a trailer have you hauled with your bike?

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Guys, I look at these trailers and the associated weight and I gotta ask, what happens if you have to hit the brakes hard, especially in damp conditions? It would seem to me that a fully ladened trailer is going to drive the bike at some point. Not looking to start any sort of religious war here, just curious about what I perceive as unsafe versus your real world experience, thanks.
Real life experience here:
As I mentioned in my OP I pulled a Time Out camper with my GW. Granted, the GW is bigger-heavier-more power than an ST. But not really that much.
I did have one incident where I was pulling the camper through a town and some BDC'r pull a maneuver that forced me to brake hard. I was not in a turn or going around a corner. I did just momentarily lock up the rear end and immediately let up to get the grip back. The bike and camper tracked straight and all ended up well. This is really the only incident I ever had pulling that camper for 3 years to many rallies and camping trips. I've locked up both wheels on an earlier bike and slid about 40 ft to a stop without pulling anything, so this wasn't any different. I know it could have been but taking extra care can keep it from getting bad.

BUT - as many who do pull bigger trailers and a few who pull smaller ones have said, when pulling a trailer of any size you must be aware that it is back there, that your bike WILL NOT handle the same as when not pulling (even a Uni-Go will have a little affect on handling though not as much as 2 wheeled trailers) and with a bigger trailer behind, you MUST ride very conservatively. Increase your follow distance a lot. Slow down and take it very easy. Don't be afraid of STRAIGHT roads. Even with all that you can still enjoy the ride, knowing that you are headed somewhere to unhitch and then go for a much more fun ride having a base camp to come back to.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Quote Originally Posted by STPaulK View Post
Guys, I look at these trailers and the associated weight and I gotta ask, what happens if you have to hit the brakes hard, especially in damp conditions? It would seem to me that a fully ladened trailer is going to drive the bike at some point. Not looking to start any sort of religious war here, just curious about what I perceive as unsafe versus your real world experience, thanks.
I have only pulled a trailer for one trip or about 2400 miles IIRC. While it pulled fine I will admit as I think most would that it does increase the risk. I think that is why it is vital that adjustments are made as Bob has said to your speed and following distance. That being said I do not think it is unsafe to pull a trailer, just not as safe as riding without. But then,,,,riding without, is only as safe as the rider, conditions, and luck will allow it to be. You makes your choices and you takes your chances. No guarantee in any of it. I am in the group that plans to pull a one wheel. Make my adjustments and hope for the best.
None of this is meant to take away from your concerns Paul, they are well founded and I think anyone who pulls a trailer without keeping those concerns in mind is only setting themselves up for trouble.
Mark

STOC #
Thanks guys. Is it possible to rig assist brakes onto those heavier two wheel trailers like you would an RV? Does that sort of thing exist by the trailer companies?

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Thanks guys. Is it possible to rig assist brakes onto those heavier two wheel trailers like you would an RV? Does that sort of thing exist by the trailer companies?
IIRC Mac has had brakes on one of his bunk houses

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Well it was a Denray I bought off Ebay, I could move the hitch from side to side about an inch or more, _Pulling my little cargo trailer was a scary deal...
So I brought the arms up and attached them to the frame....
I have a DenRay too. Is the verticle hanger not standard? The bolts provided on mine suggested to me it was a stock configuration. I found most if my "give" coming from the fact that the mufflers are rubber gromet mounted.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a DenRay too. Is the verticle hanger not standard? The bolts provided on mine suggested to me it was a stock configuration. I found most if my "give" coming from the fact that the mufflers are rubber gromet mounted.
Those vertical hangers are standard on a Denray hitch. I received some photos from Custom Chrome in Canada that shows those clearly. They run straight up and through the bottom of the tool storage area (on a ST1100) to the inside of the frame and attach to an existing bolt. Unfortunately Custom Chrome has the lower price for new, yet only has the chrome hitch for the ST1100. I would prefer a black hitch but they only have that for the ST1300.

iride - my guess is the hitch you got from eBay was missing those.

STPaulK - Many GW riders have either electric brakes or surge brakes. The surge brake has a mechanism in the tongue that compresses when the pulling vehicle begins to stop and actuates the trailer brakes. Both kinds can be a bear to adjust and add weight to the trailer. Usually you don't find trailer brakes on any but the larger camper trailers for mc, and even then the effectiveness vs. additional weight makes some wonder if they are worth it. I think in certain circumstances they are needed, especially riding in the mountains. But may not be necessary for most situations due the relatively light trailers that motorcycles can pull (compared to what cages pull). If adjusted a little off you could end up with the trailer putting on more brake than the bike and then you'll be in big trouble with the trailer pulling, usually unevenly, on the bike. I would rather ride more conservative and replace my rear tire and brake pads more often.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I have had my brakes on hard with the trailer,(although in a straight line) It did take a little further to stop but it stopped with surprising stability. Also on the highway, at least for mine, it has a stabilizing effect on the bike. In other words the bike seems to track better and does not have that dancing that you feel passing rigs or in winds.
I have been in a good Arizona crosswind with the wife on the back and it seemed very stable.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Looking at the pics iride posted I see a flaw in my setup. I made vert. straps that merely hung loosely from portions under the seat. I can see now I need to go higher and strap-clamp those vert. members to the frame for better rigidity.
Thanks iride!

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would also want to be sure those vertical straps were fairly hefty and well fastened at the top. I know from experience with my Time Out camper that the trailer tongue WILL push and pull up and down almost as much as side to side at times. Don't want the hitch to swing in any of those directions.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I may have been lucky during my maiden tow. I made my vertical straps from 1/4 X 1 aluminum and put a roughly 5/8 hole to slip over a boss on the pannier hangers. I will be doing that differently. It did work OK though.
I have my wheel and am starting the lengthening aspect. I thought adding 6" would work. that will give me 1 to 1 1/2 clearance between the O.D. of the wheel and a vertical plane.
Does anyone see a problem with that amount of clearance?
I will post some pics when I get it stretched.
Mark

Top Bottom