How long do gummy worms last?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have not carried a patch kit but because of all the stories of flats on this website, I'm adding these tools to my kit. I'm leaning towards gummy worms because of all the posts saying how long they last, and a few posts of other systems (mushroom type plugs) that failed. And gummy worms seem ubiquitous - you can pick them up at any Walmart or probably Kmart.

How long do gummy worms last? If they are in my side or top case, whenever I park the bike in the sun, they will see elevated temps. Do you replace the worms every year?

Some of the kits come with a tube of rubber cement that you are supposed to use to coat the worm before inserting it. Do you throw these tubes out every year? Do you use the glue or just the gummy worm after reaming?

I remember from bicycle days every time I tried to use the tube it was dried out (of course, back then I did not get many flats - and the tubes were often years old).

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I have used them.
I have used the gummy worms that I bought a couple of years before, no cement, with no problems, they did the job and I rode the that tire a long time.
I have purchased gummy worms with a tube of cement. It went had before I needed it... I used the worms that came with the cement and, IIRC, they got me home.
I will be buying a gummy worm package soon... with cement, and I'll be buying another yearly...

Ride safely!
Mark

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
You can use worms without cement and they will most likely work. You can use worms with cement and they will undoubtedly work.

For $0.99 you can buy a new tube of cement, I do it yearly and/or after I pop the top and use it, even if I just use a little.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I use the gummy worms often- as a carpenter, I often get nails and screws in tires. I have put 75k miles on a tire after using one, with no problems. I use the cement if I have it, but they seem to work just fine without. The cement DOES seem to lube the hole for easier insertion.

Note to self...go get more gummy worms today!

Bike
ST1300 2012
I have to laugh.... Every time I see "gummy worms" on this forum I think of the "gummy" candies my kids used to eat .... And I think the shelf life of those was only minutes after it was discovered I brought them home!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
For me they have lasted the rest of the tire's tread life. In one case I had a puncture with only 20 miles on the tire!

-Jeff

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
sah48 said:
I think of the "gummy" candies my kids used to eat .... And I think the shelf life of those was only minutes after it was discovered I brought them home!
That's exactly what I was thinking. And it's just me and the gummies. It's worse with Swedish Fish!

A couple of friends plugged a flat on my ST with gummies and glue. It was a fresh kit bought for the trip. We were far from home and none of us had long time experience with them so I got a new tire right away. I shouldn't have bothered and if I knew then what I know now...

T_C said:
For $0.99 you can buy a new tube of cement, I do it yearly and/or after I pop the top and use it, even if I just use a little.
I didn't know you could buy the glue separately. Good tip on replacing it after a single use as well as yearly. Cheap insurance.

wjbertrand said:
In one case I had a puncture with only 20 miles on the tire!
Ouch! In my case it was about 1200 or so. I still felt bad. It wasn't helped when I learned here that I should have kept it and saved a bunch of money.

Top Bottom