How often do you check your mirrors?

Bike
I do not have a bike
STOC #
I suspect that like all things having to do with good riding technique, the frequency with which you check your mirrors is directly linked to the situation you find yourself in. For example, I use my mirrors a lot while stopped in traffic. Don't want run over from behind, not sure that I'd be able to do anything about it but guess I would like to know I'm about to be creamed. I also have to keep an eye on all those BDC around me in traffic. I don't just have threats from in front and behind, but I regularly have threats from both sides as well. I think that in most cases a check every 3-5 seconds seems a bit obsessive to me, but I think I check mine every 10-15 seconds and sometimes more frequently, depends on if I seen something of concern in a previous check.
+1

It helps if I need to make sudden line change. I do it even when driving a four wheeler.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I'm in the as the situation demands camp and it doesn't replace turning my head to look.
That that includes lane changes, traffic and stopped or stopping.
More than a few times cycling the hyperlites gets a BDC behind me to suddenly realize I'm there and the traffic light in front of them is red.

yogione

Vic G
Bike
'07 ST 1300
STOC #
Not enough unfortunately. I still find it difficult to get used to the ST's mirror position. With my old bike where mirrors where above the grips, it was much much easier....
I'm surprised more riders don't comment on the mirror position which I find to be almost inadequate for safe operation, especially in heavy traffic. I am a compulsive, often frustrated, mirror checker in traffic, not so much on an empty road.

Top Bottom