Helmets How often do you replace your helmet? What to do with the 'old' one?

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
Did anyone sell their old helmets? And have you ever bought a used one for yourself?
I've recently discovered tophatter and noticed that some people sell their used helmets, both for bicycles and motorbikes. I've never bought (and I doubt I will buy) a used helmet, but I usually don't know what to do with them. Maybe selling is a good way out.

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I did buy a Neotec (first version) from a member here for $250- perfect condition and all I did was change the crown pad (and wash the other removable padding pieces) to a thicker one and use it to this day. So I have a Neotec for each ST (with associated light that activates with the brake activation), and the J-Cruise I have for the warmer weather.

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
My dad always said if you have a 5 dollar head buy a 5 dollar helmet. Like the discussion. had not really though much about helmet life. My current one is on season 4 so I can use this as a reason to my wife when I need a new one in a year or two. :rofl1: :gld11:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Cut the straps, Sawzall to cut through the chinbar so no one gets any stupid ideas.

Inspired by my wife's child passenger safety work... Old car seats should be treated the same. Cut or removed the belts. Saw through critical components in case someone cares less for their kid than I do.

I am using an Arai now because of my head shape, hate to spend the money..... But it is lighter and better ventilated than the less expensive ones. I was told only to wear what you think your heads worth. But I was also told that the difference between open face and closed face helmets is whether it is a open casket at the funeral.
I save my old helmets to airbrush them, a friend puts lights inside for lamps, would make great driveway lights. Lighted hood ornaments on the Rat rod? Halloween?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am using an Arai now because of my head shape, hate to spend the money..... But it is lighter and better ventilated than the less expensive ones. I was told only to wear what you think your heads worth. But I was also told that the difference between open face and closed face helmets is whether it is a open casket at the funeral.
Kind of like crashing at high speed - the difference between 70 mph and 100 mph is how far does the corpse slide before it stops ... ;)
I think that is the key for helmets is your head shape as different manufacturers appear to use different molds.
I happen to be fortunate that HJCs fit my ugly noggin really well.
I use flipfaces and so far in my limited experiences they do not fly open upon impact.
There are some instances that all the safety gear in the world is not going to make any difference.
But I'm getting an air vest (after two sets of busted ribs in 6 months - I'm a slow learner! ;)) because I believe it will help if there is a next time.
The pants are interesting and worth consideration since they come in something besides denim. ;)

Top Bottom