How on Earth do you clean the grime off wheels?

My wheels and lower parts of the bike have this kind of black grime. I clean my bike with McGuire's to preserve the wax. It doesn't phase that black stuff. I think brake cleaner would but I do not want to damage the coating on the wheels. Anybody have recommendations for something that will cut all of that blackish grime from the wheels and other parts of the bike? Thank you very much

Bike
2000 ST1100
My wheels look new on my 23 year old bike. My secret is using o.e.m brake pads and cleaning and waxing the wheels whenever the bike gets clean. Btw I also use McGuire's products:)

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I was thinking of that also, thought it was natural and safe for wheels.
Do you use it full strength or diluted?
Full strength, rinse well and it does take wax off.
Works good on greasy engines too. I use an old toothbrush to scrub the really stuck stuff.
Been using it for 40 years.
T

I start with a simple solution. Very hot water in a bucket (couple gallons?), add 1/2 cup Arm-Hammer Washing Soda, and sprinkle Bar Keepers Friend on rim as you wash.

For really tough stuff, Simple Green about 50%, and use a 3M Drywall Screen (fine grade) cut in 1 inch square.

STOC #
I use a Kent Industries solvent called Acrysol. It’s made for painted surfaces and works like a charm. Stuff just wipes off. Not cheap, about $30 a quart but it doesn’t take much and it’s amazing.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you use petroleum based solvents (kerosene) don't soak the tires. I'm not sure what effect Simple Green has on tires - you might call them and ask. Probably best to soak a rag (wearing gloves) and use that to clean the wheel.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
S100 works very well for me maybe better than Simple Green. It's truly been wash n rinse where Simple Green requires some light scrubbing and more thorough rinsing. But SG is cheaper.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Simple Green also sells a purpose specific cleaner for wheels that they state will clean the grime and brake dust off without damaging the aluminum alloy or the protective coating on it.
I have never used it- just passing it on.

Simple Green All Wheel & Tire Cleaner

Top Bottom