How to apply Honda clear protective film over the saddlebag flaps on st1100

How do you apply the Honda clear protective film over the saddlebag flaps on the St1100. Do they go on dry or are you suppose use water as in a decal and work the air bubbles out. Thanks in advance for your help!
mrbill

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello Bill:

I'm not experienced with the exact film that Honda sells to go over those two little flaps, but the most common practice in industry when applying 'aggressively adhesive' protective films such as that film is to prepare a small bowl with warm water and a tiny bit of dish detergent, then wet the surface you intend to apply the film to with that solution. The soap solution allows you to position the film accurately (by sliding it around). Once you have the film positioned correctly, press on the middle of the film to make it stick in position, then work the soap solution out from under the film using a squeegee.

You can buy a squeegee made for this specific purpose from any auto body supply shop - shouldn't cost you more than about $2. Or, if you happen to have an old credit card or a plastic hotel room key lying around, use it to work the soap solution out from beneath the film.

Michael

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
What Michael said...
It also helps to warm the (rather thick & stiff) film gently with a hairdryer, making it easier to be applied on the curved surface.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
Hello Bill:

I'm not experienced with the exact film that Honda sells to go over those two little flaps, but the most common practice in industry when applying 'aggressively adhesive' protective films such as that film is to prepare a small bowl with warm water and a tiny bit of dish detergent, then wet the surface you intend to apply the film to with that solution. The soap solution allows you to position the film accurately (by sliding it around). Once you have the film positioned correctly, press on the middle of the film to make it stick in position, then work the soap solution out from under the film using a squeegee.

You can buy a squeegee made for this specific purpose from any auto body supply shop - shouldn't cost you more than about $2. Or, if you happen to have an old credit card or a plastic hotel room key lying around, use it to work the soap solution out from beneath the film.

Michael
Just done something similar on an NT700 saddlebags and that's the exact technique I used. Worked a treat.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I'm still wondering what a saddlebag flap is.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is a Honda product? ST1100 only or can 1300s play.
There was a complete 'scuff' kit for the ST1100s but I don't know if they did one for the ST1300s. However, you can get a roll of the same material and do one yourself for the ST1300. But if you use the 'good' stuff, it won't be cheap! ;-)

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I think it is part #15 & 17.

Rear Cowl.jpg
Thanks, I thought it might be those, just never figured anyone would put protective film on them, much less the film even having a p/n specific to that location.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...never figured anyone would put protective film on them, much less the film even having a p/n specific to that location.
All weather riders know how much abrasive dirt & road debris collects on top of the pannier hangers, the flaps are in contact with.
Hence the thick foil/film to avoid the flaps look like being belt-sanded within 3 miles... ;-)

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I think the film is to protect the paint on the flaps when the panniers are removed or remounted. That's how the film on mine became worn. I bought the replacement OEM film parts but ended up just removing the flaps.

John

OP
OP
mrbill
Thank you to all that replied. I have ordered a couple of 3M squeegees to do the job. I will post some before and after pics as soon as I can.
Regards,
mrbill

OP
OP
mrbill
I attached a couple of pics of what I used to apply the clear protective film from Honda. First I did a wipe with alcohol to remove dust and grease. I wore rubber gloves to keep the oil on my hands off the film. I used a water and dish washing soap mix to spray on the plastic surface. I sprayed both sides of the film and the applied it to the bike. I used the rubber side of the gold squeegee to work most of the water out from under the film. I finished with the felt side so I wouldn't scratch the film. I am satisfied with how it turned out.
Ride Safe,
mrbill

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Looks great! I'd like to do that to the top of my 1300's bags. What are the dimensions of the plastic covers?

OP
OP
mrbill
The film is about 9 in. long and 21/2 in. wide. You can try this link to Aerostich that shows two types of paint protectors that would work for you. Seeing how the 1300 is still in production there may be a kit out there made specifically for your bike! There are several tank protectors on Ebay but they are not clear. I have seen them on some later model Concours and they look good and work. Also look at the auto parts section on Ebay that has various paint protection kits for car finishes as well as thicker film kits for headlights.
Good lick,
mrbill

Link: http://www.aerostich.com/bags/seat-bags-and-tail-bags/tank-protectors/snider-s-paint-guard.html

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here is a link to the protective film kit that I juST ordered for my ST1100.

http://www.autotrimdesign.net/Paint_Protection_Kit_for_Honda_ST1100_Pan_European.asp

They also have a complete kit for the ST1300.

http://www.autotrimdesign.net/Paint_Protection_Kit_for_Honda_ST1300_STX1300.asp

When I bought my ST1100, it had some of the pieces from this company on it. The PO had the receipts from when he inSTalled them back in 2004. So I looked them up, and found they are STill available. So I'm going to protect my new green paint with them.

Gary.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
When I bought my ST1100, it had some of the pieces from this company on it. The PO had the receipts from when he inSTalled them back in 2004. So I looked them up, and found they are STill available. So I'm going to protect my new green paint with them.
You might want to ask a paint expert on this, but covering very new paint with the film might not be a good idea, as the paint does release certain vapours as it ages. I've often wondered if this is why, on some cars that have had a "diamond coat" protective spray put on as an aftermarket sale by car dealerships, that those cars experience severe paint peeling damage after a number of years.

Top Bottom