How-To Details Installing Hankook Rear nad G709 Front Tires

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
Hi Fellow Darksiders,

I made notes on how I was able to install my Hankook Rear tire and Bridgestone G709 Front tire in Microsoft Word that I will try to upload as an attachment.

The G709 Front Tire is a little bigger but gives good Mileage on Goldwings and does not Cup. (Size 130/70-18)

Hope it helps those who are new to the Darkside.

See pictures of this in my Gallery Photos.

Regards,

Northern Dancer AKA (Ron)

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300
Seems like a lot of extra work. I remove the front wheel by pushing down on the rear of the bike (on the rack) while my wife rolls the front tire out. I then rest the forks on a wood block to keep the bike from tipping forward.

For the rear, why remove the pads and calipers from the bracket? I keep it all together...just remove the axle, and the one caliper bracket bolt, then swing the caliper and bracket out of the way. Also, those with aftermarket exhausts may not have to remove or even move the mufflers. I only remove the bracket for the right muffler and let it swing down, but I have changed the rear wheel without doing this. I have Two Brothers mufflers.

I install the rear wheel with full pressure in the Hankook (non ABS bike) by removing the one bolt holding the black plastic dust shield (right side of wheel, bolted to the swingarm). I slide the forward part of the wheel through, install the shield, then finish installing the wheel. I don't have a real compressor at home, so this is much quicker than waiting for the little 12v compressor to inflate a car tire.

Jim

OP
OP
Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
Seems like a lot of extra work. I remove the front wheel by pushing down on the rear of the bike (on the rack) while my wife rolls the front tire out. I then rest the forks on a wood block to keep the bike from tipping forward.

For the rear, why remove the pads and calipers from the bracket? I keep it all together...just remove the axle, and the one caliper bracket bolt, then swing the caliper and bracket out of the way. Also, those with aftermarket exhausts may not have to remove or even move the mufflers. I only remove the bracket for the right muffler and let it swing down, but I have changed the rear wheel without doing this. I have Two Brothers mufflers.

I install the rear wheel with full pressure in the Hankook (non ABS bike) by removing the one bolt holding the black plastic dust shield (right side of wheel, bolted to the swingarm). I slide the forward part of the wheel through, install the shield, then finish installing the wheel. I don't have a real compressor at home, so this is much quicker than waiting for the little 12v compressor to inflate a car tire.

Jim
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your suggestion regarding the Rear Caliper -- I have added it to my Instructions and gave you the Credit.

For us folks with the quiet OEM Mufflers there is no way to remove the Axle without removing the Right Muffler. Also I do not have any black pastic dust shield bolted to right swing arm?

Those of us with the ABS Sensor there is no way even for Superman to get that Tire inflated by the Narrow part of Swing arm and that ABS Sensor

Cheers,

Ron

Now to try to remove existing Attachment and upload modified Document

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I am pretty sure that when I did have stock mufflers I just loosend the 2 bolts and twisted the muffler out of the way you don't have to remove it.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I place a one inch flat board under the center stand to get everything a little higher..
I like to place a tie down strap to the center stand and the front wheel,,
I have pushed a bike off the center stand before,,
I am sure its just me,,,
Good write up..
Thanks
Mike
It's not just you. Had an on the road rear flat on my V65 Sabre, pushed the bike off the center stand trying to put in a plug.

OP
OP
Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
So,,the sensor can't be temporarily removed then to help?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Bigmak96,

That ABS Sensor is part of the Casting for the Rear Drive Unit. One would have to hack saw it off and then alumni weld it back on being very careful to keep its alignment perfect. (SIC)

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
I noticed that the Wing has the exact same front rim size as the ST1300. So a 120 or 130 tire is the reccomended size for our rim! This usually never happens that there are 2 sizes allowed for 1 rim size.

I think I'll try the front Wing tire next. Might be awhile though, have a currently mounted Verge 11 front and free front Roadsmart to get through first.

Still about 90% sure I'll be mounting a Hankook next.

Thanks for this post! Did you do the actual mounting of the Hankook yourself?

OP
OP
Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
I noticed that the Wing has the exact same front rim size as the ST1300. So a 120 or 130 tire is the reccomended size for our rim! This usually never happens that there are 2 sizes allowed for 1 rim size.

I think I'll try the front Wing tire next. Might be awhile though, have a currently mounted Verge 11 front and free front Roadsmart to get through first.

Still about 90% sure I'll be mounting a Hankook next.

Thanks for this post! Did you do the actual mounting of the Hankook yourself?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had a small independent Motorcycle Shop do it for me -- Called "RPM Motorcycle"

Top Bottom