How to fill and first charge the YTX14-BS.

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
FOR ALL YTX Batteries

All batteries require proper initial servicing. A YTX battery requires filling with electrolyte and allowing the battery to stand before applying the new battery charge. Remember these two tips:

1. Do not squeeze an acid pack to hasten filling a battery. An examination of ?young? batteries replaced under warranty has shown overfilled cells adjacent to under-filled cells, which is the result of forcing acid into the battery, and causing premature and unnecessary failure.

2. Allow the YTX battery to sit or stand in order to allow the electrolyte to be completely absorbed by the interior gel plates. Filling and then immediately charging a YTX battery does not provide the correct initial charge ? only a partial charge. (Remember, batteries rated at 10A or greater require a one-hour stand time. Batteries rated at less than 10A must be allowed to sit for one-half hour). The Service Life of a YTX Battery is directly related to its proper initial care and feeding. Once serviced, the rate of discharge begins, even if it?s not installed in a unit.

This is taken from a Honda service letter about how to fill and first charge these batteries.

I hope this is helpfull.

JZH

International Bodger
It is, but for YTZ-type batteries (like the OEM one found in the ST1300), you can safely ignore most of it!

Probably more important for any type of battery is using the correct kind of charger for the intial charge: Battery Tender or Optimate (or equivalent); most automotive chargers are too powerful.

Ciao,

OP
OP
GreenZR
Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I was doing some part time in the local service dept, they never told me to do this. It was just open the box, put in the electrolyte, and put it on the charger. I did not find this info out till I was gone, just think it might help if someone was doing the first fill and charge at home, if they ordered the battery and had it shipped dry.

Top Bottom