How to Plot a route in Google Maps and Export to Garmin Using Tyre and Basecamp

Bike
BMW R1200RT
I'll have to take another look at Basecamp. I tried it a while ago and never really cared for it. I have been plotting my routes on ridewithgps.com which has a drag and drop route feature that I really like. Unfortunately, they recently upgraded their website to a paid subscription model, so in order to upload right to a garmin unit, you need to pay $10 a month. I don't use it enough to make it worthwhile, but I did find a minor workaround. After you build your route, save it to your hard drive. Then double click on the .gpx file and Basecamp will open and import the route. You can then use Basecamp to import the route into your gps. Works good enough for me.

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I'll stick with mapquest.com and "send to" my Garmin.
I would be too but for some reason it keeps freezing on my system. I had to find an alternative.
As posted above, Tyre is now out of my equation.

STOC #
Been doing a bit of digging about Basecamp on the web and it sounds like the programmers are trying to restore everything familiar to former Mapsource users with each new version. This makes me suspect that Basecamp was a complete "do over" by programmers who were not part of Mapsource (maybe even contracted outside the US). I wouldn't be surprised if this was some shortsighted executive decision to trash Mapsource and it's team and go outside but that is only a WAG on my part.

Last edited:
Top Bottom