How to reduce fairing noise

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My 1300 has the stock screen and I much prefer to look over it than through it.

Over the weekend I covered 600km on my MT-10 Yamaha (which is naked but for a fly screen) followed by 300km on the ST the next day. I was wearing the same Shoei GT-Air helmet on both days. As soon as I was on the ST, the extra noise within my helmet was very noticeable, even with ear plugs. I only get true peace if I move the screen to above eye level.

Does anyone have any advice on this they can share? I wondered about whether a laminar lip or similar would be much of an improvement?

IMG_3473.JPG

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
When I got my 2012, ThunderSTruck, I knew that the stock windscreen mechanism needed work. The overhaul has been scheduled for this winter, after the repair kit from bike-quip is in hand. But in the past 18 months,,, I have been running the oem screen fully down. In the beginning I noticed the noise and buffetting, from the turbulent flow against my Shark modular helmet. I like to wear it open faced 90 percent of the time,, and I do use custom molded earplugs. So, knowing the screen repair was a ways off,,, I decided to pull a used Laminar Lip out of my parts bin,,, and test it out. I didn't like the looks of it,,, and was not expecting much. But it surprised me,,, by really smoothing the air,,, noise and strain out,, compared to the stock screen only. Maybe I should not have been surprised,, as it works on solid aero principles. I do look over the screen c/w LL, and am impressed. I constantly compare it my other ST's screen, which is a Clearview gt medium flip lip. The performance is very similar,,, with the LL producing less turbulence. So that's a long winded endorsement of a LL install as a low cost solution. Even though I will soon fix my windscreen's motor,,, I don't think I will be removing the LL. Cheers,,, CAt'

20220412_165742.jpg

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
Hey Terry...
I noticed the same thing with both of my 13's. Wind noise and buffeting.
I didn't care for the looks of most aftermarket windshields, so I bought 2 Laminar Lips for the STOC shields. $90 a piece. Significant reduction in noise and buffeting. I have the shields mounted in the upper holes and very rarely have to raise the shield, unless it's 40 degree's, raining, or having a smoke. Plus they stay stuck on at 140 mph...

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The airflow from the ST screen comes straight off the top edge into your face / helmet. There is no way that I can look over the top edge without getting the air staright into my eyes.
I like to look over the top of the screen, and with the standard screen, this is impossible.

A flip-up screen like the Bike-Quip model, or one with a laminar lip both have the effect of modifying the airflow so that it goes over the top of your helmet, while still allowing you to look over the top of the screen. I don't wear earplugs, and often ride with the visor up, looking over the top of the screen. This is with the Bike Quip version - (which is a UK company).

This is my bike with the BikeQuip screen fitted, and the original Honda ST1300 resting on top for comparison. This model is slightly taller and slightly wider. I sometimes wish I had gone for the smaller version, as I have to stand on the pegs to get a better flow of air to cool me off on hot days. But the flip-up on the smaller version isn't as big, and I have no idea how that performs.

1665401917716.png

Last edited:
Bike
2005 st1300
The airflow from the ST screen comes straight off the top edge into your face / helmet. There is no way that I can look over the top edge without getting the air staright into my eyes.
I like to look over the top of the screen, and with the standard screen, this is impossible.

A flip-up screen like the Bike-Quip model, or one with a laminar lip both have the effect of modifying the airflow so that it goes over the top of your helmet, while still allowing you to look over the top of the screen. I don't wear earplugs, and often ride with the visor up, looking over the top of the screen. This is with the Bike Quip version - (which is a UK company).

This is my bike with the BikeQuip screen fitted, and the original Honda ST1300 resting on top for comparison. This model is slightly taller and slightly wider. I sometimes wish I had gone for the smaller version, as I have to stand on the pegs to get a better flow of air to cool me off on hot days. But the flip-up isn't big. I have no idea how that performs.

1665401917716.png
This is my experience with the bike quip screen as well. I can look over the top with no wind noise.

Top Bottom