How to remove an 18 year old rock hard tire

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Remember that if it requires any effort at all to change tires you are doing it wrong. It all comes down to proper technique according to the the tire changing “experts” on the various motorcycle forums I frequent. Which, of course is nonsense. Some tires/wheel combos are a bitch to change regardless of technique. Especially my BMW GS spoke rims with a minimal drop center.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Remember that if it requires any effort at all to change tires you are doing it wrong. It all comes down to proper technique according to the the tire changing “experts” on the various motorcycle forums I frequent. Which, of course is nonsense. Some tires/wheel combos are a bitch to change regardless of technique. Especially my BMW GS spoke rims with a minimal drop center.
I changed saddlesore’s GS tires 4 weeks after my spine surgery.
He helped lift the rear tire for me, and it was off, and back on the rim in about 10 minutes.
I changed the front after he left, and it was about 10 minutes off and on with 8 inch MP tire spoons.
I change a lot of tires, and am getting pretty good at trail side changes as well.
But your right, Bridgestone tires, especially old ones are really hard.

Bike
2005 ST-1300
When it’s past midnight, your exhausted, the old OEM Bridgestone tire is as hard as wood, and you can’t even force your motion pro tire spoons between the rim and tire….
Sometimes you just have to think outside the box :rofl1:
On tires that old I take them to a place and pay the $30, not worth my time.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
On tires that old I take them to a place and pay the $30, not worth my time.
That’s exactly why I do my own tyres!

10-min remove wheel from bike
25-min drive to shoppe to drop off
10-15 min giving shoppe monkey detailed instructions
3-10 days wait for them to do simple job
25-min drive to shoppe to pick up
10-15 min inspect work and verify monkey did proper job (had discovered poor-quality work once home many times)
10-min re-install wheel on bike.

I can replace all that inconvenience time in middle with just 15-20min to swap tyre myself. And I get it done same day! :)

Bike
2005 ST-1300

10-15 min inspect work and verify monkey did proper job (had discovered poor-quality work once home many times)

I can replace all that inconvenience time in middle with just 15-20min to swap tyre myself. And I get it done same day! :)
I replace most of the ones myself but when the get 15+ years old it takes way longer. Plus there is a shop by me that does them while you wait, all they do is motorcycle tires and minor repairs.

If anyone lives in the St. Louis area go here for the best prices and service.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #

You forgot that most of the shops are under gag-contracts, hence won't get you the brand/type of tire you prefer/require on your vehicle...
Scratched rims, bodged up bearings/seals, not properly balanced, leaking valves/stems...

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I used to work at the local motorcycle shop after school and weekends when I was about 15 years old. One of my main jobs was doing tire changes and I got very good at it. One challenge was the old Trellborg knobby tires that had a sidewall that folded down over the side of the rim. Those were not too difficult once I figured out a technique. My arch nemesis however were 1970's era Dunlop road racing tires. Those things were brutal with sidewalls like steel. Old Honda's like the 305's had rims with almost no center drop in them so there was no way to get slack in the tire to get it off the rim. Those could be really fun to change. The latest difficult tire I have changed was on my Africa Twin. The Dunlop Trailmax Mission rear tire is no fun to change as it is super stiff even warmed up well. My Rabaconda bib mousse changer will do it better than most. I would not want to change this tire on the side of the road so I converted it to tubeless.

Top Bottom