Hydration System (Need something better than camelback)

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The clamp version is brilliant, Garauld. Does it fit the ST1100...? Can't recall if the ST1300 uses the same type pillion footpeg. If not, would you sell me a 'blank' one that I could cut/drill my own mounting holes into?

Also, what is the ID of the mount (and clamp)? IOW, what's the maximum diameter jug that will still fit it?

Assume they are aluminum, and that the rubber footpeg pad must be removed...

TIA!

Regards, John

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
Gerould,
I want one of the clamp style I have an 1100 and will pick it up from you as I'm in Binghamton often. Let me lnow when it's ready and IF you are ready to go to dinner or lunch.

Thanks,

Sal

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I was just about to go looking for Garauds info on the FJR site to post here when I saw his post. >> Hi Gary. Welcome to the site!

I'm picking one of these hydration systems up this weekend for my FJR.

SilverSTreak

Bill Royal
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Lot's of ideas out there, and I've tried many - but here's the best solution that I have found:

Bill_STAR08_0001a_resize.jpg

The camelback sits inside of the soft-sided roll on cooler, mounted on the back seat, so when it does need to be filled, I just zip open the top and pull the bladder out with the hose attached. I've only ever had to fill it in the middle of the day twice - once on my State Capitol ride when we rolled into Phoenix at noon and 104 degrees, and the second time was on my return leg from the 4 Corners Tour when we were on I-8 and rode into Tucon at 112 degrees. I start the day with a 6 pack in the bottom, the full camelback next to it and a 8 to 10 lb bag of ice on top of the beer and next to the camelback. By the time I am in need of my first sips the water is ice cold. I use a long hose, and if its not real hot, just leave the end under a bungee around the tank bag to keep it accessible. When it starts getting north of 90, the bite valve stays in my mouth so I can sip as needed. Like I said, I rarely empty the 100 oz in under 8 hours.
I drain the melted water from the cooler completely every morning and repack with ice from the hotel ice machine (I use a waterproof camping bag to fill with ice from the ice machine and transfer out to the bike), or if I need to buy more beer, I just wait till my first gas stop and puy the beer and ice and re-pack then.

On those hot days, I do blow back to keep the hose empty, but I don't find it too much of an issue.

Pros:

Easy to fill though rarely need to outside of the hotel. ICE cold all day long, and the big bonus is by the time the day is getting hot enough that I might need to wet my shirt under the mesh, I have an ample supply of melted ice water in the cooler to just dip the shirt in or just open the bite valve and squirt the cold water onto the shirt, and I get additional storage space on the outside, and top of the cooler, and if need be "refrigerated" space inside.

Best part is I always end the day with an ice cold 6-pack, even if I land in a "dry county"

Cons:

Looks like the Clampets riding down the road ;-), and not the lightest weight rig, but certainly not excessive.
Does make accessing anything stored under the seat kind of a pain to access, though I can remove the rig in under 10 minutes and I don't keep anything but my portable air compressor under the seat.

It will "sweat" and drip water onto the seat after multiple days, but I managed to arrange the rig now so when that happens it drains off behind me so I'm not sitting in a puddle (though some days that felt great!)

Just another idea, but one I have used now for about 5 years and haven't found anything else that work as well for me. The pic is obviously my 1100 but I use the exact same setup on my 1300 now too., just didn't have any good pix.

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Here is my quickly thrown together setup for cape fear.

Take a tall soft lunch bag and hang it off the helmet hook under the seat, it falls nicely onto the rear peg.

Slide a 1/2 gallon jug into it.

Remove the camelback tube and valve from your camelback.

buy additional plastic hose and a barb connector to join it.

Feed the drinking tube into the pour spout on the jug, and tape the hose to side of bike to keep it out of foots way.

Total cost <$10

Protip: after taking a drink, blow the liquid in the tube back into the jug so its not getting warm pressed against the bike. (Thanks Curt!)

Attachments

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Thx John. I assume the footpegs are different so it probably wouldn't fit an 1100. I'd be happy to send you off a blank one. If you report back your mods so I can make them for 1100s, I'd give you some refund bucks.
Thanks for the offer, Gary. I accept. I'll send you an email with my order/particulars, but thought I'd share with the forum. [-]I think the only practical place for the water jug is the left, non-throttle, side.[/-] I'll orient the vertical piece holding the clamp up against the ST1100 so the carrier faces out, and because I'm anal retentive, I hope you'll install the clamp so its buckle closes toward the rear. In one of the pictures above the clamp appears as if it may contact the rider's right calf, which I'd hope to avoid on a left side install if possible. Of course, the jug holder should be silver to match my classic '91's Sparkling Silver Metallic. :)
The original base was designed to utilize standard 6" aluminum tubing and the only jug that I know of that will fit is the Coleman 1/2 gal, which I get from my local K-mart. You can also order blue ones off the web. The ID of the base is 5-3/4". The footpeg pad is removed and a pr of new spacers are placed on top of the metal footpeg base thus raising up the jug plate to clear the top of the metal footpeg. Longer SST screws will be provided also.
My RubberMaid jug is ready to go with a straw, rubber stopper/grommet, quick connector, insulated hose and tether; but its nominal diameter is ~5?"... shimable, I suppose, but I like the look of your jug and will try it.

I'm pretty sure I can make your spacers work on the ST1100 footpeg, so I'll take them and their screws/nuts and do my own drilling etc to mount the carrier blank to my ST1100. I've done a lot of farkle metal work with hand tools, I just don't weld and know that aluminum welding is an art, which is why I'm ordering after seeing your nice work.

Will take the jug and its straw and grommet as mentioned, no need for the Camelbak hose and valve package though, I have lots of that stuff including QRs and insulating hose sleeves.

Thanks for the offer, and for your product. I wish you luck with the endeavor and look forward to installing mine.

Regards, John

edit: PS What is the purpose of the two rectangular holes in the base of the carrier?

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
For those not interested in a full-on, permanently mounted system, I can recommend the new Camelbak bladders with the quick release connectors:

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/AntidoteLanding/Accessories.aspx
[darn, can't get a linkable picture from the site...]

Since I posted last year (#14 above) I bought a new CamelBak 50oz bladder with quick disconnect to use with my golf bag beer can holder. The new bladders are much easier to work with than the older versions. I put a loop on the hook at the top of the bladder to carry it into the gas station after disconnecting it from the hose. The cap opens and closes very easily for ice and water and it's easy to hold while filling it, and then closing the cap. Once closed it's water-tight. Carry it back to the bike, plug the QD hose fitting back in, drop it back in its carrier, and you're ready to go. All you need extra is some method of carrying it on the bike, preferably an easy opening bag/sack, and the hose and clip to keep the mouth piece close. Mine's tethered to my tankbag with a strong, retractable key holder by Key-Bak:

I removed the clip and installed a snap on the webing and my tankbag. The fly fisherman version is just not up to the task... not a strong enough retraction spring.

This setup works very well, but Garauld's system is what I've always wanted and it's time to upgrade.

FWIW

John

Bike
05'ST1300
STOC #
This is what I have been running with the last 2 years.
http://ogio.com/power/hydration-packs/erzberg-550-le-1072
Holds alot of water and fits well.
The bite valve has a twist shut off on it.I never use this as the valve does not leak.
I dont find the cooling in the hot temps to be an issue and the water satys cool most of the day.
It has a really wide mouth on the bladder to dump what ever you want in it.
I have the camelbak stuff as well and I like the ogio much better.
If I remember it holds 72 oz.

Sean

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Re: Garauld TechWorks LLC Hydration System Install - ST1100

Gary was kind enough to send me one of his system's jug carriers without any holes drilled. In this case the version with the clamping band. I very carefully made the holes and mounted it to my '91 SSMST. I am quite happy with the result. This is a great product! Well thought out, beautiful fit-n-finish (Sparkling Silver Metallic, heh... heh!), and highly functional.

Here's some pictures of my new Garauld TechWorks LLC Hydration System:

And yes, it can be mounted on the right side also (flip the band clamp).

I've sent the hole pattern I used to Gary.

This setup just WORKS! Simple, quick-n-easy... flip the clamp buckle open, pull the straw, and carry the jug off to be filled with ice and water. SLICK!

Regards, John

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I put the camelback bladder in my tank bag and use the hose that came with it. I fill the bladder with ice and then water. I wrap it in a towel so it helps keep the bladder cool and absorb any moisture that comes off the bladder. I also blow out the water after I take a drink. When it is time to fill the bladder, un zip the tank bag and fill it. As far as the hose goes, my tank bag has a loop handle on it. I just stick it through the loop and it stays put.
This is exactly what I've done for the past umpteen years with my camelback. Fill with ice, leave it in the freezer, I drink the melt-off the next day (living in Texas, it starts melting before I can leave the parking lot or driveway!). The hose stays in a loop in a zipper on my tankbag. I deal with the ultra-hot water in the tube by holding the tube in the windstream with my left hand and squeezing the bite valvle on the end. This release a flow of water....you will know when the hot it gone and the cold is entering the tube because (for some reason) there are usually bubble separating them. Then, my first sip is cold water.

If you are on the road, just fill the bladder with ice from the ice machine the morning of your ride.

ELC

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Just got Gary's system for my 1300. It looks great and functions well. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a
well made hydration system. You don't have to wear it, it keeps the weight low, and it's a nice volume.

Eric

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Enuff tips here to keep us all hydrated,,, Good STuff, folks.

Side tip on bladders: CamelBak, Pelican, and Walmart all offer decent bladders, Walmart cheapest... second good thing about Walmart bladders, the hose unscrews completely from the bladder, better for cleaning and storage... Bad thing about the Walmart, their drink valve leaks... It's guaranteed not to and they'll send ya another for free, but it'll leak to. So... I use a Walmart bladder with a CamelBak valve, available at any bicycle shop or sporting goods store.

I like the idea of wrapping the bladder in a towel to help keep it cool,,, I carry mine in the tank bag with a hole cut to pull the hose thru,,, refill at McD's as needed,,, always good filtered water and free ice. I also carry a 3-liter jug of water in the right-side pannier, never travel in the south-west without plenty of water.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Here is my variant on this problem. Riding in Texas, Arizona and New Mexico in the summer it is essential to have hydration system that you can replenish. Today is only the third day of "summer" here in Houston and it was 89 deg F at 5:30am when I came to work!

I use a large mouth Camelback for easy filling. I put it in a soft sided, 12 pack Polar Bear Cooler (various sizes available) which I pack with ice. I mount this on my rear seat or on top of my camping bag on the rear seat. The hose is attached to my jacket using a key/security card self-winding lanyard. With this I can push the mouth piece up under a full face helmet and take a drink and then just let go and it stays attached to the top front of my jacket. It is a very easy task to refill with the Camelback with water and restock the Polar Cooler with ice when stopping for gas.

Here is a picture of the setup:

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Andy, I use the Polar Bear too. Mine is strapped just behind me . The PB coolers are great quality. Ice lasts for a very long time.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Just got Gary's system for my 1300. It looks great and functions well. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a
well made hydration system. You don't have to wear it, it keeps the weight low, and it's a nice volume.

Eric
I gave mine a good test on my way to & from OH-STOC. 97f for awhile! (Canucks aren't usually "authorized for those sorts of temps ;-) )

I also do the bladder in tank bag idea if I'm not carrying too much junk. Its nice to free up space in the tank bag tho. I like the Garauds (Gary) hydration system

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK

I really like this solution!

Send me how I can install it on my ST1300...

...and will it fit on my "other" ST, the Yamaha Super Tenere ?

Gary was kind enough to send me one of his system's jug carriers without any holes drilled. In this case the version with the clamping band. I very carefully made the holes and mounted it to my '91 SSMST. I am quite happy with the result. This is a great product! Well thought out, beautiful fit-n-finish (Sparkling Silver Metallic, heh... heh!), and highly functional.

Here's some pictures of my new Garauld TechWorks LLC Hydration System:

And yes, it can be mounted on the right side also (flip the band clamp).

I've sent the hole pattern I used to Gary.

This setup just WORKS! Simple, quick-n-easy... flip the clamp buckle open, pull the straw, and carry the jug off to be filled with ice and water. SLICK!

Regards, John

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #

I really like this solution!

Send me how I can install it on my ST1300...

...and will it fit on my "other" ST, the Yamaha Super Tenere ?

Andy,
If you go to post #22 you'll have alll the details. PM Gary (Garaud) to order or for other infomation. He's great to deal with and as mentioned in my post above, this system works well.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Short follow-up on my ST1100 install of Gary's system. --

This thing is the 'cat's meow!!!'. Can't believe I rode 100K+ with a water bladder taking up space in my tankbag (including the tupperware container it laid in for the sweating bladder, and possible catastrophic failure). Have had a couple of 90?+ days to test it and couldn't be happier. It just works!

Hope you've gotten a good response from the ST1100 community, Gary.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Top Bottom