Hyperpro Spring for Stock Shock ??

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Anyone using this replacement spring on there oem shock? I'm really wanting a new spring/shock but at around $1000 versus $125 for the Hyperpro it might be worth a try and it does have a return policy if I don't like it. My question to anyone who has one is how is it compared to the stock spring when loaded 2-up does there seem to be any additional capacity with this spring? With the Sonic spring up front at 1.5 of sag the rear is just preload capable for me when riding single at 2 clicks from max. I'm really looking to add ride height when 2-up to keep the front/rear sag the same in both situations by cranking in more preload.
I guess the bottom line is if the hyperpro will minimally fix the issue for less than $150 delivered that extra money will cover at least 3 or 4 STOC events this spring :D
I've talked to the Hyperpro rep and I'm waiting to hear from him on what weight load the tech department says is max for there spring and how the rates compare to the stock 900# spring since theres is a rising rate spring

Thanks Gene

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hagon offers a built-up shock to your individual requirements with remote preload adjustment for $554. If a new spring on an old shock boogers up the ride you will still be looking a replacement shock.

www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

They built me a shock for my needs, delivered in 2 weeks from England. I have the bike apart for other maintenance so I haven't ridden it yet but I believe it will be an improvement over my 42,000 mile OEM.

Why not a Hyperco spring which is what most suspension shops fit to a Penske?

Go to hrpworld.com. They are a race car suspension shop that sells Hyperco springs among another zillion things. I will blow you mind the different weights, diameters, lengths, etc available for Hyperco springs.

A Hyperco spring is a Hyperco spring regardless of what kind of vehicle you are putting it on.

And the best part? They're only $66.95.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Gene,
I have had the Hyperpro springs front & rear on my bike for about 120k. All I can say is the hyperpro rear spring will fix your problem. The hyperpro spring is variable rate spring & the stock is a constant rate. I have never bottomed out with the stock shock & hyperpro spring even 2 up!
Kevin

OP
OP
Gene

Gene

STOC #
Thanks Kevin, I couldn't remember if you said you had one on or not. I have question about your set up, I'll pm you
Thanks

OP
OP
Gene

Gene

STOC #
Well I got my Hyperpro spring and removed the oem unit and the great news is that it is blown and the preload adjuster is bad :D :D :D So now I get a new spring on a new shock and the extended warranty has paid for itself :D . 39k and it was totally shot. Since the warranty is good to summer 2010 I guess I can get another new shock in a yaer or two again for free !!! And the dealer lets me just bring him the bad parts for exchange !!

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Well I got my Hyperpro spring and removed the oem unit and the great news is that it is blown and the preload adjuster is bad :D :D :D So now I get a new spring on a new shock and the extended warranty has paid for itself :D . 39k and it was totally shot. Since the warranty is good to summer 2010 I guess I can get another new shock in a yaer or two again for free !!! And the dealer lets me just bring him the bad parts for exchange !!
Way to go, Gene!

Marshal

Bike
'93 ST1100
Also, for those that do a lot of 2up riding on the ST1100, this thing was one of the very best Farkles I have added. Probably falls right after Russell seat. Unbelievable difference. We are around a total of 450 lbs 2up with loaded topbox and gear, and could probably go 550lbs without noticing anything bad. Great for solo riding as well. Combined with progressive front springs and 10w fork oil, suspension is done at less than $200 total.

BTW, the ST1100 had a Dual Rate rear spring, not constant rate.

Last edited:
STOC #
I have asked this question before but I haven't gotten the answer I am looking for, what is the length of the STOCK shock spring? everyone is giving me the length for the Penske shock 5" or 6" , can you use a 5" or 6" spring on the stock shock? also is a 1400# spring to heavy for someone who rides 2-up most of the time (450#)? or should I stick with a 1300# spring that I see some of you are using?

Last edited:

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
I have asked this question before but I haven't gotten the answer I am looking for, what is the length of the STOCK shock spring? everyone is giving me the length for the Penske shock 5" or 6" , can you use a 5" or 6" spring on the stock shock? also is a 1400# spring to heavy for someone who rides 2-up most of the time (450#)? or should I stick with a 1300# spring that I see some of you are using?
KTMRacer:

I apologize for not answering your PM properly the first time around. Let's have another go at your question.

Using the photo below, and a rule, I'd estimate that the stock shock-spring's uncompressed length is 7 inches, compared with the Penske's 6 inch uncompressed length. Both springs are compressed somewhat, and the stock shock is slightly farther from the camera, so I made some adjustment in my calculation.

You can use a shorter spring with the stock shock. Some on this Board have done this to reduce ride height. I would not recommend going this route as there isn't much in the way of shock stroke-length now, and you'd have to use collars to shim the remaining free length.

If you use a straight-rate spring, go with the 1300 pounder. HyperPro's spring is progressive, so that number will not be useful to you. In any event, there is only one HyperPro spring available for the ST shock, AFAIK.

Don't know if you have considered it or not, but if you intend to use a heavier spring on the stock shock, the damper will not be up to the task.

Marshal

Attachments

Last edited:
STOC #
Im curious... You put on a new hyperpro spring on your oem shock... What do you do when the stock shock oil gives up??? Still got to get a new shock, right? I recall someone drilling a hole in the stock shock, replacing the oil and
drilling and tapping a screw to seal the hole....
that would work, yes??

mitch

Bike
08 ST1300A
I know this is an old thread but I'm after some updated information. Has anyone replaced their ST1300 OEM rear shock spring with a Hyperpro progressive spring? I'm mainly after feedback on how these springs perform on rough bitumen roads. Also, besides the rising rate spring, did you modify the shock as well regarding the rebound damper/oil/gas etc? I also notice that Hyperpro now have 2 progressive springs for the ST, one is listed as heavy duty, does anyone have any experience with this spring?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Top Bottom