I’m a big guy, should I adjust my shock to the stiffest setting?

Hey all, just bought a 91 st1100. Got a super deal on it and I’m very excited to have a bike that I can pack up and take on some longer adventures, a little more comfortably then my vstar. Quick question, I’m about 6’4 and pretty close to 300lbs. Would it be in my best interest to set the shock adjustment right to 5? Right now it’s sitting at 3 and overall I’d say it’s pretty comfortable but occasionally I’ll hit a big bump and feel the shock bottom right out. I don’t ride with a passenger and I usually keep my cargo weight pretty low. But it seems like being a larger fella it may be in my best interest to jack that suspension right up to it’s stiffest setting. Of course I can just trial and error it, but wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks!

Bike
VStrom 650
Smitty,
From my experience I'd say you are between a four and five on the spring pre-load.
The standard shocks also go weak at around 50,000 miles.
The damping maybe best at all the way in and backed out an eighth of a turn.
I think I'd go to 5, if it feels like a pogo stick back it down to 4.
Also wear a thick glove because WHEN the spanner slips it will hurt.....a lot.
Obviously just like an oil thread there will be lots of shock suggestions coming soon....... :crackup:
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The preload - which is what you are setting - will level the bike. If your sag (distance the shock allows the bike to drop with a static load*) is not approx. 1/3 down from the full extension position**, the shock can bottom out on severe bumps and handling can suffer. You might try checking the sag and adjust the preload accordingly. Ray ('North) suggested a dampening setting.

*That is, you with full gear, passenger, etc. but the bike not rolling.
** I mean 1/3 of the full travel, down from the bike's unloaded position.

OP
OP
The preload - which is what you are setting - will level the bike. If your sag (distance the shock allows the bike to drop with a static load*) is not approx. 1/3 down from the full extension position**, the shock can bottom out on severe bumps and handling can suffer. You might try checking the sag and adjust the preload accordingly. Ray ('North) suggested a dampening setting.

*That is, you with full gear, passenger, etc. but the bike not rolling.
great advice from both you and north, to clarify basically you’re saying I should have a friend look at the shock when I sit on the bike with full gear, packed for a trip, and use a rule of thumb that it should sit about 1/3 of the way down from it’s fully extended length, before I sat on it? And then on top of that I can adjust the dampening as north pointed out?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
First question is how old is the shock… how many miles on it? The OEM shock was designed for the typical 150 lb Japanese rider :) (I may be joking…) so you might consider an aftermarket replacement shock for your typical loading and riding.

The second question is of course, what colo(u)r is your 1991? Common black or Sparkling Silver Metallic?!

Oh… and welcome to the site, Smitty!

Regards, John

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Rear travel is 120mm / 4.7" Sag should be 1/3 or 40mm / 1.5 - 1.6 inches. Assuming you have a stock shock this is probably a 4 if not a 5 on the preload settings.

As above, how many miles do you have on your bike and is the rebound damping working properly? You may need a new shock and, if so, make certain the spring is sized for your weight vs. a 150 - 160 lbs guy.

OP
OP
First question is how old is the shock… how many miles on it? The OEM shock was designed for the typical 150 lb Japanese rider :) (I may be joking…) so you might consider an aftermarket replacement shock for your typical loading and riding.

The second question is of course, what colo(u)r is your 1991? Common black or Sparkling Silver Metallic?!

Oh… and welcome to the site, Smitty!

Regards, John
Thanks John! The bike is common black and has about 36,000 miles on it. Original shock, may be time for a new one considering the age on top of my larger size!

Bike
2010 ST1300
great advice from both you and north, to clarify basically you’re saying I should have a friend look at the shock when I sit on the bike with full gear, packed for a trip, and use a rule of thumb that it should sit about 1/3 of the way down from it’s fully extended length, before I sat on it? And then on top of that I can adjust the dampening as north pointed out?
Exactly. Have a friend hold the bike upright, nobody and no gear aboard. lift up on the front, release, lift up on the back, release. You are not lifting the bike of the floor and overhead, just easing the weight on the springs and releasing to allow the bike to settle to its normal attitude. Measure from floor to a fixed point on the bike - a part that goes up and down w/ bumps in the road (not the axle, for example). A point on the rear carrier for a top case would be good, and a point just below the lower fork clamp is also good. Load the bike with your gear, put on your mc clothing and helmet, climb aboard, and sit. Friend measures the rear 'sag'. You can also do the front sag as well. I'm more familiar with the 1300 than your bike, but rear preload is set with that collar on the shock. Front preload depends on spacer length inside the fork tubes (on the 1300, it is similar but not exactly the same on the 1100).

I assume you read Phil's post #6 above. He posted the numbers.

edit. duh.... of course you read it, you 'liked' it.

Top Bottom