I been watch'n too much You Tube............

OP
OP
What's this little red plug guy? W diagram says service connector. Anybody have any luck troubleshooting the ECM with this plug? Notice the plastic in the back. Thats how much the mice ate away at the plastic............Also, is there a quick reference guide on the different connector plug names. I split open a double female terminal with a fluke meter. Thanks again.
Also I've noticed there are 2 different relays. 0762D4 and 1892D4 both 4 pin relays. Which one goes to which?

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Also I've noticed there are 2 different relays. 0762D4 and 1892D4 both 4 pin relays. Which one goes to which?
Post photos of relay, their schematic and their terminals underneath. Most relays on bike are interchangeable. Different numbers may be different vendor's IDs.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I paint penned and photo'd the connections before I removed the Sub harness, and you're right, I mixed those 2 up. Fortunately, caught it. Wouldn't FI blink ? All part of the FI monitoring system?
It should, but others who have mixed these two connectors have reported that there was no fault code. I don't know why that is.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I paint penned and photo'd the connections before I removed the Sub harness, and you're right, I mixed those 2 up. Fortunately, caught it. Wouldn't FI blink ? All part of the FI monitoring system?
FI blink codes only occur for known-errors pre-programmed into ECU. If you have an error like blown fuse or bulb or something not pre-programmed into ECU, you won't get FI code. Look up all codes in manual and you can be assured those issues aren't present. However, there's many, many other faults that can occur that won't throw code...

What's this little red plug guy? W diagram says service connector. Anybody have any luck troubleshooting the ECM with this plug? Notice the plastic in the back. Thats how much the mice ate away at the plastic............Also, is there a quick reference guide on the different connector plug names. I split open a double female terminal with a fluke meter. Thanks again.
You'll need Honda's HDS system to connect to that red connector to query ECU. It uses older serial K-line protocol (HDS_TABx) , so there's no modern ODB2 tools you can connect that'll talk to it. Most useful function of that red connector is for gear-indicators.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
What's this little red plug guy? W diagram says service connector. Anybody have any luck troubleshooting the ECM with this plug?
That is the ECM diagnostic connector, used for accessing and clearing the ECM fault codes.
It can also be used to connect a scanner to the ECM but it does not use the standard OBD protocols as automobiles so a special scanner is needed which is really pricey, at least from Honda.

Below is a link to how to check and clear the fault codes.
Fault code reading process and a list of the codes.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Surprisingly,

I picked up a PoPo ECM A31 Model, its Limited to 120MPH. Didn't fix the no spark problem. Cleaned out the start stop switch. No debris at all. I just used contact cleaner. All relays and fuses have power, conductivity. Took out the Bank Angle switch. Turned it upside down, could hear the relay contacts close. New Battery is getting 12.72 across the Batt on start-up. Fuel Pump relay closes and then F/O pump strokes. Good fuel psi on the return fuel racks. No interlock there anyway. Ignition switch, sends power to fuse "C" and then to coil pack 2,4. No spark after that.
Here's how injectors and coil circuits work. They're all ground-switched circuits.

1. getting power to coils is just 1st step, so you should measure battery-power at coil's blk/wht terminals full-time, simple.

2. sparks are triggered by grounding other side of injectors/coils by ECM (point E. above). Measuring coil's trigger wires yel/blu and blu/yel wires would show this on oscilloscope; high most of time with periodic drops to ground to trigger sparks.

You can also use solenoid-light to monitor trigger line. It has duration-extending circuitry to keep light lit for at least 100ms for human-eyes to pick up flash from 5ms trigger signal. Most likely you won't be seeing any trigger flashes. Why? Why isn't ECM triggering injectors & sparks??? I'm sure you've put kickstand down to park bike when engine's running in gear, what happens???

OP
OP
Post photos of relay, their schematic and their terminals underneath. Most relays on bike are interchangeable. Different numbers may be different vendor's IDs.
I picked up this bike as a Barn Find. When I started troubleshooting, I found only 3 screws on the 65a fuse link. I didn't find the other screw. It wasn't in the plastic cover box. Nowhere to be found. Thats about the easiest way to disable a bike and to conceal it. How the hell does a screw fall outta this box? The relays would be another easy way to disable. Would be consistent with what I've found. I'm not sure but I smell a rat. Not a mouse, a rat....................But thats what I get for $550. and a bike with 25k miles..........

Attachments

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Yeah, those relays are identical Omron G8HN-H75 models. Other numbers are some sort of manufacturing location/production run#, etc.
If they work, I wouldn't worry about them.
There's some better Huyndai relays available with coated terminals that don't corrode...

Test for spark by manually triggering ignition-circuit. Momentarily ground coil trigger-wires at ECM connector.
If sparks, then you've confirmed everything in ignition-circuit works from battery through relays & switches, coils, hi-ten wires and plugs.
All that's left is figuring out why ECM's not happy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
It should, but others who have mixed these two connectors have reported that there was no fault code. I don't know why that is.
There isn't a no fault code. F/O pump strokes. No spark to plugs. BL/Wh has power Bl/Yw doesn't.

OP
OP
Yeah, those relays are identical Omron G8HN-H75 models. Other numbers are some sort of manufacturing location/production run#, etc.
There's some better Huyndai relays available with coated terminals that don't corrode...

Test for spark by manually triggering ignition-circuit. Momentarily ground coil trigger-wires at ECM connector.
If sparks, then you've confirmed everything in ignition-circuit works from battery through relays & switches, coils, hi-ten wires and plugs.
Bamm.........Hammer meet nail...................Thank You sir

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
There isn't a no fault code. F/O pump strokes. No spark to plugs. BL/Wh has power Bl/Yw doesn't.
blu/yel is ground trigger. Should have power if ignition-coil is working properly. Power goes across coil's primary-winding to ground-trigger side (E. above) and just sits there. So has same potential as power-terminal. If you don't measure power on blu/yel and yel/blu when there's power on blk/wht, then coil's primary-winding is broken.

Seems engine has to be idling with kick-stand down to get codes. Otherwise, you can use shorting DLC connector to get codes to shown here:

As test, disconnect MAP sensor and do code flash procedure with jumpering DLC and see if you get error #2.

OP
OP
Bamm.........Hammer meet nail...................Thank You sir

Also, any problem with a 2 amp trickle charge for a couple hours? Im draining my new battery down quite fast.........1.2a trickle isnt keeping up Thanks

OP
OP
blu/yel is ground trigger. Should have power if ignition-coil is working properly. Power goes across coil's primary-winding to ground-trigger side (E. above) and just sits there. So has same potential as power-terminal. If you don't measure power on blu/yel and yel/blu when there's power on blk/wht, then coil's primary-winding is broken.

Seems engine has to be idling with kick-stand down to get codes. Otherwise, you can use shorting DLC connector to get codes to shown here:

As test, disconnect MAP sensor and do code flash procedure with jumpering DLC and see if you get error #2.
I shorted B & gr/b got 18 code...............Pulse generator camshaft. If I remember right this tells ECM intake or exh stroke?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Common failure point on these bikes, check the wiring and the sensor.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Also, any problem with a 2 amp trickle charge for a couple hours? Im draining my new battery down quite fast.........1.2a trickle isnt keeping up Thanks
Don’t use 2a, too high. Pull headlight fuse and use 1.2a. Also test for parasitic drain when everything’s OFF.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I jumped the crank switch. same effect
You jumpered crank pulse sensor? Why?

Don’t make any changes to system to troubleshoot, you’ll fry something and/or introduce additional errors into system. Passive measurements only and let numbers tell you exactly what’s wrong and how to fix it.

It’s like going to doctor, “We think your tiredness is because of weak heart. Let’s swap in another one to see if you feel better!” Nah, first up is always series of tests to gather numbers like BP, RHR, BMI, A1C, BUN, etc. Then based upon numbers, fault is identified 1st, before any corrective actions are taken.

These are not reed-switches like old-style speedos. They’re VR - variable reluctance sensors that have voice-coil over magnet and outputs an analogue waveform when trigger teeth flies past them.

Looks like this on oscilloscope:

ECU uses combination of cam & crank VR sensors to determine engine position and speed.

Codes 18 & 19 are for following conditions on CMP/CKP sensors:

1. loose or poor contact on cam/ignition pulse generator (high ohms out of range)

2. open or short-circuit in cam/ignition pulse generator (infinite ohms/OL or zero ohms)

3. faulty cam/ignition pulse generator (improper signal)

By jumpering crank sensor connector, you’ve created fault #2 in circuit on top of any existing errors.

Common failure point on these bikes, check the wiring and the sensor.
By this, he means pull out meter, follow procedure in manual and measure.

1. Since this isn't a switch, sensors have coils with measurable impedance. Measure resistance of sensor at its connector, should be 400-600 ohms.

2. Measure sensor resistance again at ECM connector. This verifies wiring is OK between sensor and ECM. Doesn't matter one bit if sensor is perfectly OK if signal never makes it to ECM

3. Measure resistance of each sensor-wire to chassis-ground to verify it's not frayed and shorted to metal nearby. Some of these wires run across very hot metal and may have contacted something to melt insulation off.

4. measure peak VAC output of sensor at ECM connector when cranking. Should be > 0,7 VAC

These measurements being out-of-spec are possible causes behind error #18 & 19. When resistance-measurement of sensor is outside of normal range, ECM throws code. Or if signal doesn't meet minimum output levels.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Check these two connectors on the left side in front of the large connector.
They can get corrosion bridging the gap behind the connector, which will try and either prevent your bike from starting, or try and hot wire your bike by keeping the ignition hot when the key is removed.
Give me a minute, I can't seem to attach the picture for some reason.

Top Bottom