I continue to hang

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I took the plunge and got a new hammock. For the past 8 years I’ve been hammock camping and prefer it to a tent. The tent hammocks are a game changer as they come with a no-see-em mosquito net. A rain fly, suspension system, and some are double layered so you can slip a sleep pad between the layers. My “Exped” that I got from Mountain Equipment Coop has done me well for the past 8 years, one summer I spent 5 continuous months sleeping in it and another year 3 months while I was stage managing shows on PEI.
After a bit of research and induced by a sale I purchased a Hennesy Jungle Safari XXL Asym.
It’s a fine piece of kit, very roomy inside. It has a few nice features, pockets to put your phone, wallet keys. And clips to hang lights and stuff.

the rain fly is large enough that you can have a small table and chair under it when raining or you can sit in the hammock like a chair.

full review to follow in a few weeks time

Attachments

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Wow that is incredible to stay in a hammock continuously for 5 months. There must have been some weather extremes. I guess no going back to a tent.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Is the house wrap so your feet are cleaner before you get in?

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I guess "How's it hanging?", has a different meaning for you. And your back does not ache after sleeping in the same position all night (on your back)?
For the most part I sleep on my side. Most of the hammocks I’ve been in allow my to sleep on either side or my back. If you lay on the diagonal you lay prettier much flat, not like a banana.
This particular hammock is designed to lay on the diagonal. This is far better for your back than any mattress. ;)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Robert:
Do you have to be careful where you go camping?
i.e. Do you ever have a hard time finding two solid points to string the hammock between?

I could see this being a problem down South in desert areas.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Robert:
Do you have to be careful where you go camping?
i.e. Do you ever have a hard time finding two solid points to string the hammock between?

I could see this being a problem down South in desert areas.
I had concerns when riding through the prairie provinces, but always found suitable trees to hang the hammock. There is a way to set up this hammock and similar styles as a tent. That’s where the the Typar can be used as a ground sheet and the trecking poles to support the ridge line to keep the bug net off my face. It will be much like a bivy

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I have an Eno hammock which I like for lounging, or naps.
But I'm unable to sleep on my back throughout the night, so I'll have to try this "diagonal" thing. I'd like to consider the hammock for camping, but I like my Mountain Hardwear tent.
May have to do some more trials at home before I leave the tent mode.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
diagonal" thing
That’s the challenge. It can be achieved by putting your head off a few degrees from the centre line and your feet a few degrees off the centre line. Using an anolog clock your head at 3 minutes after 12 and your foot at 12:33. That’s about the best one can achieve in most hammocks. If you lay on your side and pull your knees up you can increase the diagonal as you are now laying at the widest part of the hammock. This I find to be the most comfortable way to sleep in a conventional hammock.
The way the Hennesy hammock is cut asymmetrical so it allows a person to lay more of a diagonal. 12:10 for the head and 12:40 for the feet. There’s more material in the centre of the hammock as well as one side off of centre on either end. This allows a flatter longitudinal lay and even more room to lie on one’s side and easily roll over to the other side if thus inclined.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I have an Eno hammock which I like for lounging, or naps.
But I'm unable to sleep on my back throughout the night, so I'll have to try this "diagonal" thing. I'd like to consider the hammock for camping, but I like my Mountain Hardwear tent.
May have to do some more trials at home before I leave the tent mode.
Haven claim they can help with "hanging flat". Haven't tried though (not yet, couldn't find a compatible portable hanging frame).

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I was looking at a Haven and it was a serious contender along with Amok hammocks. They both have a proprietary air sleep pad integral to the structure of the hammock. Having had air pad failures, these tow versions were taken off my list. On some models of the Haven the fly doesn’t cover the hammock fully. With the Hennesy you can order different flies for your requirements.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Don't know about camping with hammocks, but we have a few of these at the cottage and they are comfortable.

Got 2 of these for $20 each years ago and still using.

Have one of these, great if there are no trees nearby.

Top Bottom