I did it again

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
Its been a while, I think 5-7 yrs but I dropped my ST1100 yesterday pulling out of a parking space on a slight up hill off camber spot. Gravity worked fine and reminded me there is a tipping point and once passed no additional input is required. The good news I was able to return it to the full and up right position. The bad, it was much harder than I remembered and the left mirror is in a few pieces but fixable. That plus my left knee is tender from the unwelcome exercise.

Recently I told Paul Burns that I was thinking about adding a For Sale sign to my emergency kit since I didn't know if I would be forced to sell it where it was resting. Maybe I need to do that or get a lighter bike.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Its been a while, I think 5-7 yrs but I dropped my ST1100 yesterday pulling out of a parking space on a slight up hill off camber spot. Gravity worked fine and reminded me there is a tipping point and once passed no additional input is required. The good news I was able to return it to the full and up right position. The bad, it was much harder than I remembered and the left mirror is in a few pieces but fixable. That plus my left knee is tender from the unwelcome exercise.

Recently I told Paul Burns that I was thinking about adding a For Sale sign to my emergency kit since I didn't know if I would be forced to sell it where it was resting. Maybe I need to do that or get a lighter bike.
It's sad but as we age a lighter bike makes a lot of sense.

Bike
VStrom 650
These are heavy, no doubt about that.
Glad your physical issues as a result are minor.
It's strange that anything that glides through bends assisted by velocity can feel so graceful and yet if it's 5 degrees off vertical at a standstill it's going to try and kill ya.
If it's bothering you then look for something a little less voluptuous. You know it makes sense.
Upt'North.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Sorry to hear you did a repeat but glad you and the bike are relatively ok.
The joys of 2 wheels is also the folly of 2 wheels.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles

I started riding again with a Kymco Bet&Win 250 scooter. I don't remember what I was doing with it in the garage at the time, but I remember clearly as it started to tip over and I thought, "No sweat." I let it go too far, thinking it was no big deal and I could catch it part way over. Wrong. That scooter only weighed 340 lbs. But I learned I can't let a bike get far off vertical or all I'm going to do is to slow it down as it falls.

I really like the big sport touring bikes. The ST's and Concours bikes are wonderful. I fell in love with the FJR years ago. But none of those will be in my future. The bike I have now will do all I need...and only weighs 470lbs. While I know I can physically handle all the big sport-touring bikes above, I also know it won't be long till I'd be like you and looking for a lighter bike...like what I have already.

Chris

Bike
2000 ST1100
Will I never learn........
I visited a classic bike restorer today who had a place down a very steep, very narrow and very gravilly track. " I know...I'll do a 3 point turn so I am facing the right way to get out" You can guess the rest. At least both wing mirrors match now!

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Will I never learn........
I visited a classic bike restorer today who had a place down a very steep, very narrow and very gravilly track. " I know...I'll do a 3 point turn so I am facing the right way to get out" You can guess the rest. At least both wing mirrors match now!
Ha! It's interesting how many of us never learn. :)
Hope the only damage was the mirror cover.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #

I know the feeling. Had to pick mine up the first day. I bought the bike so i could go across the country this sept. What worries me the most is having to pick that thing up again. Im 64 and as athletic as a hot dog. Im just hoping i can ride my 1100 for two years and then ill go to a smaller touring setup. I had a truimph a million years ago, and it was a pretty good ride, even tho i prefer a final drive over a chain
But, yea, rhe 1100 is a bear. Be happy tho! Its easier to lift than the 1100 rt!

Attachments

Bike
2004 ST1300
I feel for you. I had an almost this past weekend, ironically trying to avoid a gravel road. The leader of a group of 9 bikes realized to late that the road he planned was gravel, so started a u-turn procession in a relatively wide pull off. A car driver realized what was happening and stopped traffic for us to leave almost as soon as we got stopped. Guess who wasn't prepared and stalled... Left leg out just in time.

CELarson

Looking forward to my next ride....
Site Supporter
Gravity is always there to remind us of how a minor mistake could become a major pain in the back side. At least there is no major damage to yourself. Bike can always be fixed with some cash, hurt knees and back take a lot longer to fix...

You can always get help to pick up the bike, because they are heavy. I know because I have picked mine up more than once.

Remember to be careful on the roads riding. As soon as you put your mind in nuteral and stop paying attention to what you are doing and what is going on around you, something will be there to remind you, and it could be a big truck....

Cheers,

Craig

Top Bottom