I dropped it

I dropped the ST today, and no I didn't have any beer. I was over the lake to a party and parked it on the grass. It was uphill in front the bike and a depression behind it. When I went to leave I tried backing the bike out and I couldn't. So I decide to swing it around on the grass sidehill and drive it out. Well I didn't get it right and when I went to put my foot down my leg was about 6 inches too short and over we went. Thank you Lord for tipover wings.
The wing held the bike off the ground enough that there wasn't even a scuff. I wondered how well they worked and I have to say fine. I could not lift the St without help though. That is one heavy bike.:eek::confused::):

Bike
2013 BMW k1600
One of the things riders take for granted all the time is the "Stop and Drop". It's real easy to drop your bike, whether it's in the garage or sitting on your bike or anything else. Luckily, no one gets hurt. ( Hopefuly. ) The kiker is; the drops can be really expensive.
I'm Very happy that no one got hurt and it doesn't sound like the bike suffered too much...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frank Cerynik
Well one thing got hurt and that was my pride. It is humbling to dump it like that in front of all those people. They rushed over to make sure I was ok and to help me lift it back up. I had a 1400 intruder fall off it's stand and had to buy a turn signal and clutch handle, plus it got a few scuffs. I was happy the ST wasn't scuffed.

OP
OP
Frank Cerynik
It can be embarassing for sure.
Check out the link below for sites that will show you how to stand a bike up by yourself, if you have to.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42124
I looked at the video, I liked where you lay by the bike and play dead until help stops. The thing is, what if they call the helicoper to life flight you before they get out of the car? Hee hee I couldn't take the embaressment of being on the news. Man plays dead because he is a weakling. hee hee
I fell over on the Wing at a stop sign once, hit sand on a little used road, and
the first car that came along had a couple young girls in it and they helped me lift it. They were strong little things. I think most people would stop to help without you playing dead. At least around here in Susquehanna County,
Pennsylvania. Nobodys in much of a hurry here. It's the embaressment That's the hard part. What can you say? How about this? "An elf came out of the ground and ran out in front of me, so I swerved to avoid him as I didn't want 7 years of bad luck"

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Welcome to the club. I dropped mine when my foot slipped on gravel. I can't give you tips on picking it up. I had it back up before I thought about the weight. Looked around like "Did anybody see that" The pride thing I don't worry about to much, I figure it won't be long until I do something even more embarrasing and it will be completely forgotten.

Gotta love the tip or bars. $$$ saver.
Oh and glad you didn't spill a beer. That would be alcohol abuse. LOL.

OP
OP
Frank Cerynik
I dropped the ST again yesterday. I got on it to move it and over I went. That bike just does not like a very slow sharp turn. I hope I learned my lesson. No damage and I used the method of picking it up by putting the kick stand down and my back to the bike. My weak old bones did it. Thank you so much for the video on that. It is the way to go. I did go flying and hit hard as I didn't want to be under it. I didn't have my Joe Rocket jacket on as I was just moving it. Ouch

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I've dropped my STs numerous times (no excuses) but have generally been able to pick it up by myself. Sometimes need to unload the luggage, though.

Twice last trip, both in Texas. Good thing I could do it alone 'cause there was no one else around for miles!! :eek:

This was in west Texas, about 5 miles off the main road. Dropped the bike in a patch of wheat hiding a damp spot in the Texas dirt (mud!) Bent the rear brake pedal a little but easily remedied. _NObody around for miles!!!

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36208&d=1222277800

Top Bottom